Confirmed with Link: Coach Noel extended 1 year

Sep 19, 2008
@saraorlesky 2:34 PM
Kevin Cheveldayoff announces that #NHLJets have agreed to a one year contract extension with Head Coach Claude Noel #tsn #nhl

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What a vote of confidence!:shakehead Make a coaching change already, players will tune Noel out this season as they know he is expendable! Chevy truly is still on a sharp learning curve. At this point Chevy should be on a series one year contracts until he proves he can make the next step as a NHL GM.

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Not a huge surprise.
Obviously this is the year for Claude however. Playoffs or bust for him ASAIC. I do think he deserves this opportunity so I'm pleased.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Important year for Noel and the Jets. Pretty sure that if the team doesn't make the playoffs then Noel is gone.

I like Noel as a person though, so good luck !!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Didn't he have a 3 year deal? So this pushes it to one year past this upcoming season?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wow, not much of a vote confidence there.

Playoffs or bust for Noel next season. I could even see him getting canned if they get off to a bad start.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This isn't an unexpected move, Noel hasn't done enough to justify a longer contract. He has this year to prove his worth!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This isn't an unexpected move, Noel hasn't done enough to justify a longer contract. He has this year to prove his worth!

You think we had a playoff roster the past two seasons? Couple that with key injuries to our D and sub-par goaltending during that time period and Scotty Bowman would have missed the playoffs with this bunch. How about a reality check.:naughty:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Playoffs or bust for Noel next season. I could even see him getting canned if they get off to a bad start.

I don't quite see it that way. If he's severely hampered by injuries and is still in the running, he stays.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

I like this from the organizational standpoint of wanting to win and thus putting your intentions pretty loud and clear, but it also scares me a bit because it may mean that much less patience for young guys like Scheifele and Trouba, for example. No, the NHL is not a development league, but rookies do need a bit of rope and yes they can learn and adjust on the job.

With that being said, Chevy has some work to do as far as I am concerned, because this roster needs some additions and until he does that, it will be an uphill battle just as it has been the last 2 seasons.

seasontixholder*

You think we had a playoff roster the past two seasons? Couple that with key injuries to our D and sub-par goaltending during that time period and Scotty Bowman would have missed the playoffs with this bunch. How about a reality check.:naughty:

Hey Sip. MacLean took a team in Ottawa full of injuries to the playoffs. Made it to the second round too.

seasontixholder*

I called it before and will repeat it. Noel is gone by the All star break.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Noel got a 1 year because you rarely see a coach stick without a 1 year buffer on his contract. I think the conventional wisdom is the coaches will lose the players without the support of management. Chevy does seem far too conventional for my liking. It Trouba, Scheifele and one of those late round goalies pan out, I'll forgive him.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm hoping the one extra year means that Noel is coaching for his life a LITTLE less and letting the young guys grow a bit. If he had no extension he'd certainly be scared.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hey Sip. MacLean took a team in Ottawa full of injuries to the playoffs. Made it to the second round too.

Not to sound negative but their team and depth is a whole different animal then ours imo.

Wish Noel all the best this season and fingers are crossed that we can avoid injuries and make the post season.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

He had a goaltender playing out of his god dang mind but it is still really impressive what MacLean did in Ottawa, missing one of his best players(Jason Spezza). I think this fair for Noel, he has to prove that he can get this team into the playoffs and a good PP and a good PK(both the PP and PK were bad and it is Noel's job to fix it) could have put the Jets into the playoffs. Hopefully Chevy gives Noel the pieces needed to get this team into the playoffs, it is not all on Noel, Chevy has to take some responablity.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What a vote of confidence!:shakehead Make a coaching change already, players will tune Noel out this season as they know he is expendable! Chevy truly is still on a sharp learning curve. At this point Chevy should be on a series one year contracts until he proves he can make the next step as a NHL GM.

Finally some red meat to chew on for you Sip ;)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

I don't think that is the case sip, I think should light a fire under Noel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad