Confirmed with Link: Coach Noel extended 1 year

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Can't have a coach on a 1 year deal players would take advantage of him..... Fire him or give him a chance.... They game him a chance by adding a year

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
True but I have a hard time seeing him extend again next summer unless he proves his worth this year.

but that isn't the issue that you and others raised.
you complained that he'll be tuned out due to him having a 1 year contract.
which he doesn't have.
if the Jets make the playoffs, he will get another extension.
if they don't, he will be fired.
but he will not be regarded as a lame duck coach by anyone other than some posters on this board

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
but that isn't the issue that you and others raised.
you complained that he'll be tuned out due to him having a 1 year contract.
which he doesn't have.
if the Jets make the playoffs, he will get another extension.
if they don't, he will be fired.
but he will not be regarded as a lame duck coach by anyone other than some posters on this board

I completely agree with you. I wasn't the one who stated the players would tune him out. All i was saying was it is a put up or shut up year for him and the extension isn't really all that relevant to what is expected of him and the team this year.

Savardian Spinarama

Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Totally predictable. Give him an extension so he's not a lame duck, but he better produce now that there's no built-in excuses of 1) franchise move, 2) lock out. If the Jets stumble again I think he could be gonzo by the New Year.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I think this is a good move.

After the move and the lockout, Noel finally has a full season without distractions.

White Out 403*

We should have just left the Atlanta team in place. What a pointless extension. Chevy hasn't done anything to indicate he's any good as an NHL GM and Noelle is much the same. Mediocre guys. We all hope for the best of course but this team is looking like another bubble team that just barely misses out. I am unexcited for another year of heartbreak. Instead of me flying to Washington DC from Calgary to see fatty mcgee in net let a goal off his back and the team blow it, I'll fly from Calgary to Minesotta or maybe Dallas and see the same thing.

I'm a super pessimist so take this post with a grain of salt. It's been a tough week in Calgary and I'm kinda worn down.

Go Gets Go.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
IMHO, the only thing this extension signifies: Noel's not on a lame duck year. It would be almost suicidal to not extend him one more year. If he doesn't get the job done with a full season, TC in place, and none of the distractions from the previous two years, it doesn't mean he can't be replaced at the end of this year or sooner if things aren't panning out. If it's judged to be a coaching issue and not a player issue, there's nothing stopping TNSE from firing him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We should have just left the Atlanta team in place. What a pointless extension. Chevy hasn't done anything to indicate he's any good as an NHL GM and Noelle is much the same. Mediocre guys. We all hope for the best of course but this team is looking like another bubble team that just barely misses out. I am unexcited for another year of heartbreak. Instead of me flying to Washington DC from Calgary to see fatty mcgee in net let a goal off his back and the team blow it, I'll fly from Calgary to Minesotta or maybe Dallas and see the same thing.

I'm a super pessimist so take this post with a grain of salt. It's been a tough week in Calgary and I'm kinda worn down.

Go Gets Go.

Chin up and keep the shoes dry!

when I walk from Portage place parking to the jets games you have to pass by the 30 NHL banners and i am reminded we have to finish ahead of 14 other teams (not technically but back of the napkin) and I challenge myself to pick who we are better than and I never get much past 4 or 5 teams before it becomes debatable. We are in a bubble with a big group chasing the dream of the post season and there are zero guarantee's.

Be well resurrection and Calgary will show how to get this thing back on the rails fast!

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
Seems about right.

He's not a lame duck going into next season, but it's clear TNSE expects to make the playoffs in 14/15. I hope Chevy follows up with some roster improvements to make Claude's task achievable.

I like Noel, but if he can't get this team into post-season next year, it's probably time to part company.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I dunno why all the hate - this seems like the right move to me.

We inherited a team that was flirting with the playoffs in Atlanta. Two years under Noel and... we're flirting with the playoffs. Now those have been two really tumultuous years, what with the move itself, and then the lockout.

But this is finally the "no excuses" year. Either we see improvement (which basically means the playoffs), or it's time for a coaching change. 3 years is a fair go of it.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Go Gets Go.

This post confuses me, as do a few others.

Eating a year+ worth of a coach's contract is the cost of doing business in the NHL. The real mark of incompetence would have been letting Noel coach as a lame duck without an extension.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Eating a year+ worth of a coaches contract is the cost of doing business in the NHL. The real mark of incompetence would have been letting Noel coach as a lame duck without an extension.

Spot on. Even Burkie rather tardily gave Wilson an extension, when he probably knew in the back of his mind that it was game over for his friend.

White Out 403*

Eating a year+ worth of a coach's contract is the cost of doing business in the NHL. The real mark of incompetence would have been letting Noel coach as a lame duck without an extension.

To me a 1 year extension is no different than a lameduck season with no extension. It shows very little confidence. And frankly I want him fired anyways, which is more my point. I don't think he's a good coach.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
To me a 1 year extension is no different than a lameduck season with no extension. It shows very little confidence. And frankly I want him fired anyways, which is more my point. I don't think he's a good coach.

I don't think we know if he's a good coach yet, given the tumultuous nature of the last 2 years.

If things don't pan out, I see him being fired quickly, TBH. No biggie either way, and at the very least, the Jets enter the season with a coach that has more than one year on their contract. I disagree that a 1 year extension is no different than a lame duck season, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Ah gotcha, that makes more sense. Still though, the only people who should really be unhappy with this move are those who think Noel should have got the standard "pat on the back" extension, which is typically 2 years.

Firings made in the penultimate year of a coach's contract are standard. Having a lame duck coach in the final year of their contract has never made any sense to me, IMO it's only really done when you have no suitable replacement. As I said earlier, the Jets stumbling out of the gate in 2013-14 would likely result in Claude being turfed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm not really anti-Noel like some here.
I've seen him do good things and I've seen him do things that make me really scratch my head...

The worst head scratcher was why our most common line combination after LLW was Kane-Jokinen-Miettinen.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Its a move that had to be made for the upcoming season.

But I'd agree with others, its due-or-die for him this season, which is made even more difficult with the realities of a new division.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Not a huge surprise.
Obviously this is the year for Claude however. Playoffs or bust for him ASAIC. I do think he deserves this opportunity so I'm pleased.

Nice to see TNSE are level headed. Exactly what Noel deserved given the state of the club and resultant lack of performance. Mgmgt has alot of work to do before they start blaming coaching and giving Noel a long term deal without seeing what he can do with a real playoff contending team would have been very premature. Ala perhaps the Enstrom and Pav contracts?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Go Gets Go.

Tough to take your post seriously when you don't even spell the coaches name right, and I am aware of why you spelled it the way you did.

I personally think Noel has done a pretty decent job considering the parts he has had of work with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad