Speculation: Coach Killers?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't draft any good defensive players.

Don't sign any good defensive players.

Don't trade for any good defensive players or D.

Overpay an underwhelming "top pairing D" by $2.5 million

Have a d corps with no real shut down defenceman and several soft, below average D

Act shocked that you have a bad goals against.

Oilers management in the nutshell.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Last nights post game presser by Woody was a near Soviet era style of truth defiance.

Doody was asked not once but 3 times on the shot differential and attempted to explain it away by stating the shot differential was because of volume shooting by Washington and that the game was a 3-2 game which they lost on 1 critical mistake (Bouchard).

Then Tychkowski made the real point that Woody had no answer to, that you can only volume shoot when you are allowed to gain the zone and access rebounds.

Had the nerve to say repeatedly there was a stat out there that the Oilers score first more than their opponent which is patently untrue, and there was another mystery stat that the Oilers score in the 1st 2 minutes of periods more than any team in the league.

He fumbled through the entire presser rather than taking some responsibility that his game planning and personnel decisions this year has been utter garbage. He was looking for other excuses the entire press conference to explain away what could have been a complete 8-2 blowout if Skinner didn't deliver his best performance of the year.

Doody needs to be sent to some children's show, not coaching a pro NHL team which is utterly reliant on 2 players to win hockey games right now.

We have multiple issues at management, coaching and player personnel. That said a good coach adapts and plans a game system that neutralizes your opponents strengths and takes advantage of your own. Woody completely failed to do that last night in every aspect of the game, and we have seen this show time and time again in our losses.

He is simply not the right coach for this team, in particular when you have Barry Trotz just sitting there twiddling his thumbs.
Woody is lost and has no plan and no answers. Its taken awhile but people figuring out that last season was the addition of Kane and McDrai going on a heater. That was the coaching bump. The longer that Woodcroft and Manson remain as coaches the worst the play of the club gets.

This is the worst I've ever seen Nurse. Its the worst 200ft play I've seen from Drai. The most confused play I've seen from Pulju.. The worst play here from Ceci, Bouchard. Just as examples.

The worst thing is Woody probably believes the bolded in which case he's fooled.

The Oilers made mistakes all over the ice and failed in critical puck battles in own zone constantly. This was ending up countless Caps chances. Skinner was making circus stops all night and the team still losing.

Woodcroft is a charlatan as an NHL coach. But he's that dangerous commodity of a person in responsibility who assumes he's the brightest person in the room. I see you've noticed he's a poser as well. An actor.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Woodcroft has better players and roster available than Tippett had for his entire duration here and who had the team in the playoffs and a winning record every season.

Plus in the Chess analogy the Oilers have two Queens. One of the pawns was promoted, Drai.
Drai is more like a rook or bishop right now, can only move in certain directions.

The best defense this team ever had in the McDavid era was in 2017. This group is laughably bad compared to that one. The bottom six is scoring even less than in previous years due to many non-NHLers masquerading as depth scoring. Holland's brilliant draft picks all look like duds.

The top 6 forwards (when healthy) is the best it's ever been. Everything else? Probably the worst of the McDavid era. I'd rather have Ethan Bear out there compared to about half of our defense. Kulak is replacement level, Barrie is offense only. Nurse is the same as he always was. Ceci is the player he's always been. Bouchard/Broberg are the future of this team? Yuck.

McDavid and Draisatl single-handedly made this team look like it was ready to contend by playing at another level. Holland was fooled, again. The Oilers were fooled, again.

No, Woodcroft isn't helping, but this is the team that was built by the same brass that hasn't figured it out for the past 15 years. Purge the Oilers brass and maybe you start to see some positive changes.

Dallas Eakins syndrome.
Kevin Lowe syndrome. Oilers syndrome.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Last night post game article by Spec nails it;

It began right after puck drop, as a notoriously slow-starting Oilers team walked out of their dressing room like a guy greeting the morning sun out at the lake, wearing a bathrobe and slippers, a big cup of coffee in their collective hand.

Sleepy?

Edmonton has earned its reputation for being positively comatose to start games. It goes back to the Dave Tippett years, and no — it’s not getting any better.

“We come in here and we talk about it every day. We sit here after the game, talk about it over, and over, and over ... ,” began assistant captain Darnell Nurse. “We want to have good starts each and every night. But, you know, we're sitting here and it's a part of our game. We're almost a quarter of the way through the season.

“The more we just talk away and pester at it. ... We need to just show up and play. Relax, pin our ears back and come out on the attack.”

Too bad he comes out and attacks too often for a dman. Rather than, you know, defend.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dallas Eakins syndrome.
Bang. That was my early take on this guy. Didn't like the first round of Woody here as an assistant and liking the head coach role less.

This org can't tell the difference between people playing at a role vs people that could actually perform the role. This being the case through Eakins, Chiarelli, Tambellini Nicholson etc hires.

Its so odd that an org that properly detected bringing Sather and Barry Fraser in have no present ability to hire well. They get duped almost every time.

You know as well I had the Nicholson thing nailed at the outset. I hated that he got the job here. I knew Chiarelli would be bad just paying attention to his comments and player assessments in Boston. But the org gets fooled by people that self promote better than they do anything else.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Woody is lost and has no plan and no answers. Its taken awhile but people figuring out that last season was the addition of Kane and McDrai going on a heater. That was the coaching bump. The longer that Woodcroft and Manson remain as coaches the worst the play of the club gets.

This is the worst I've ever seen Nurse. Its the worst 200ft play I've seen from Drai. The most confused play I've seen from Pulju.. The worst play here from Ceci, Bouchard. Just as examples.

The worst thing is Woody probably believes the bolded in which case he's fooled.

The Oilers made mistakes all over the ice and failed in critical puck battles in own zone constantly. This was ending up countless Caps chances. Skinner was making circus stops all night and the team still losing.

Woodcroft is a charlatan as an NHL coach. But he's that dangerous commodity of a person in responsibility who assumes he's the brightest person in the room. I see you've noticed he's a poser as well. An actor.
yup. looks like a fraud

says a lot of "smart" things but its all non-sensical fluff

say what you want about Tippet, he COACHED his teams to great special teams and didn't have the luxury of Kane in the line-up

Woody was buoyed by the Kane acquisition and Smith going on a heater...

I keep saying it but not a single player has gotten better under Woodcroft...not one

and most have regressed to being worse than ever

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
yup. looks like a fraud

says a lot of "smart" things but its all non-sensical fluff

say what you want about Tippet, he COACHED his teams to great special teams and didn't have the luxury of Kane in the line-up

Woody was buoyed by the Kane acquisition and Smith going on a heater...

I keep saying but not a single player has gotten better under Woodcroft...not one

and most have regressed to being worse than ever

Maybe you can't outcoach a D corps this bad.

Look at the Leafs ... they were terrible in GA the one year they had Ceci and Barrie on the blue line.

Bottom 4 four in the league in GA.

The next year both are gone and miraculously the Leafs GA improves dramatically. What a shocker.

You can't be running this many D who are shit at actual defending on top of having no forward depth.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Look at the Leafs ... they were terrible in GA the one year they had Ceci and Barrie on the blue line.

The next year both are gone and miraculously the Leafs GA improves dramatically. What a shocker.

You can't be running this many D who are shit at actual defending on top of having no forward depth.
A prime Klefbom would be far and away our best defensemen. He and Larsson were gold in 16-17. No shock that Larsson is playing well with the Kraken and we're stuck with Blarnell Hearse and the Leaf castoffs.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
This brings up a really good point
RNH has improved his defensive game over the past few years
Barrie is Barrie, no one has ever accused him of being Charlie Huddy
But
Leon really needs to improve this aspect of his game
Defence is a team game
He has all the tools to be a 200 foot player
His effort last night is nothing new
When you are out scoring your defensive deficiencies, it flys under the radar
In a game like last night, it tends to come across as lazy and uncommitted
Leon will never be a 200 foot player outside of specific events. Leon doesn’t skate, he gets in his positions and stays there, he is super effective at that. Expecting anything more than that from him is just being foolish. Leon is lazy player, and even being lazy he is among the best in the league offensively. The team needs to be built around the short comings of McDrai and it just simply isn’t.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A prime Klefbom would be far and away our best defensemen. He and Larsson were gold in 16-17. No shock that Larsson is playing well with the Kraken and we're stuck with Blarnell Hearse and the Leaf castoffs.

Barrie needs to be gone and we need to add BOTH a LD and RD. And that's just for starters, we will still have issues with Nurse not being what he should be, Ceci probably still being played above where he should be, and Bouchard not being able to defend for shit.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Barrie needs to be gone and we need to add BOTH a LD and RD. And that's just for starters, we will still have issues with Nurse not being what he should be, Ceci probably still being played above where he should be, and Bouchard not being able to defend for shit.
Man, who would've guessed that extending Barrie for a while after a career year would be a bad idea? Same goes for Nurse... This team never f***ing learns. I miss Klefbom so bad.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

D is below average

they really miss Duncan Keith IMO

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Campbell, Yamamoto, puljujärvi is 11,1 millions locked cap.

Of those, I say Puljus contracts has best value.
Before the season it was reversed. Pulju had worst value.

He has redeemed himself in a good way. Is rhe fans ready to sell high on him? Always sell at low value. Always keep on an upswing.

I would like to sell Barrie for a LD though. And yamamoto is probably npt worth keeping at 3.1. And if there is a tradepartner for a RW or a LD, oilers should trade pulju.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
D is below average

they really miss Duncan Keith IMO

Well sort of. The D was atrocious with Keith too and allowed as many goals against in the playoffs with Keith. And he didn't do a whole lot when the team went into a tailspin in December either.

He was an OK add but past his due date and would also get burned pinching up ice for bad goals against. We need players that can actually defend and aren't 80 years old.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Last nights post game presser by Woody was a near Soviet era style of truth defiance.

Had the nerve to say repeatedly there was a stat out there that the Oilers score first more than their opponent which is patently untrue, and there was another mystery stat that the Oilers score in the 1st 2 minutes of periods more than any team in the league.

This is so spot on. Leonid Brezhnev would be so proud of Jay. The media was trying to poke at this but no one went for the jugular and just called his bullshit. It’s coming though if he continues to spew this type of fallacious crap.

I listed to Woodys presser on the Wilkins podcast this morning when I went for a run. I’m sure the people on the walking path were wondering why I was laughing and muttering something about “tell me the source Jay or that or it’s fake news”, when I passed them.

Reactions: McAsuno and frag2

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Oilers fans :

Lock J Schultz up for 5 years before its to late! Moranic staff!!

Sign M.Benning now!! He Will be better than nurse!

Get rid of Nugent Hopkins! He is to soft and has declined!! ( Me myself thought so as well)

Why did we trqde for Duncan Kieth??
He is 3rd pair1

Oh No! Larsson sucks! Get rid of him!
later...
Oilers signed Ceci! As a replacment for Larsson! Were doomed! He sucks!

Oh no! We miss Duncan Kieth!

Yes! We signed Woodcraft qs coach!

10 games later...

I always said Woodcraft is bad, he is stubborn and clueless!

Trade Puljujärvi!!

Trade Fogele!!

Trade Yamamoto!!

Keep Pulju, I always liked him!

Fogele plays good! We have to few of his type!!

And so on...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers fans :

Lock J Schultz up for 5 years before its to late! Moranic staff!!

Sign M.Benning now!! He Will be better than nurse!

Get rid of Nugent Hopkins! He is to soft and has declined!! ( Me myself thought so as well)

Why did we trqde for Duncan Kieth??
He is 3rd pair1

Oh No! Larsson sucks! Get rid of him!
later...
Oilers signed Ceci! As a replacment for Larsson! Were doomed! He sucks!

Oh no! We miss Duncan Kieth!

Yes! We signed Woodcraft qs coach!

10 games later...

I always said Woodcraft is bad, he is stubborn and clueless!

Trade Puljujärvi!!

Trade Fogele!!

Trade Yamamoto!!

Keep Pulju, I always liked him!

Fogele plays good! We have to few of his type!!

And so on...
The fans aren't the greatest but the brass isn't doing much better. Most of their gambles for this season are not paying off. I don't think anyone foresaw this coming but Holland has to be on thin ice at this point, as I'm not convinced he's any better than Chiarelli.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is so spot on. Leonid Brezhnev would be so proud of Jay. The media was trying to poke at this but no one went for the jugular and just called his bullshit. It’s coming though if he continues to spew this type of fallacious crap.

I listed to Woodys presser on the Wilkins podcast this morning when I went for a run. I’m sure the people on the walking path were wondering why I was laughing and muttering something about “tell me the source Jay or that or it’s fake news”, when I passed them.

Jay got pretty testy when I think Stauffer circled back on the slow starts thing and seemed really adament to say their 1st period was only slow "in tonight's game only" ... when clearly it's a repeated pattern, heh.

Breh, maybe try running a hard practise now and again and not a country club.

Reactions: brentashton

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The fans aren't the greatest but the brass isn't doing much better. Most of their gambles for this season are not paying off. I don't think anyone foresaw this coming but Holland has to be on thin ice at this point, as I'm not convinced he's any better than Chiarelli.
I doubt he is on thin ice. We dont know what happens behind the scenes.
He probably works the phones. Or should do.

Holand is better than Chiarelli. A tree is a better GM than Chiarelli, cause it cant make any trades.

Yes, we should trade Barrie while ha has value. That cap is gold if free'd up.

Nurse - Need
Broberg - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard

Or

Nurse Ceci
Need Bouchard
Kulak Broberg

Cap is the shit.

If oilers trade yamamoto for a potato, and trade Barrie for a 4th rounder to ex. Columbus, that would be great.
And while were at it, Oilers seems to be hard on domi, so a Domi trade for Barrie could be something. But it doesnt address any need.

Domi + Gavrikov for Barrie + 1st + Puljujärvi? Fixes some needs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I doubt he is on thin ice. We dont know what happens behind the scenes.
He probably works the phones. Or should do.

Holand is better than Chiarelli. A tree is a better GM than Chiarelli, cause it cant make any trades.

Yes, we should trade Barrie while ha has value. That cap is gold if free'd up.

Nurse - Need
Broberg - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard

Or

Nurse Ceci
Need Bouchard
Kulak Broberg
Holland isn't known for making in-season trades, and most of his trades have been duds. If the Oilers lost to the Kings last year there's no doubt in my mind Holland is currently unemployed.

Chiarelli could also draft. Not sure that Holland can.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland isn't known for making in-season trades, and most of his trades have been duds. If the Oilers lost to the Kings last year there's no doubt in my mind Holland is currently unemployed.

Chiarelli could also draft. Not sure that Holland can.

I mean ... sort of. Benson over DeBrincat and just taking Puljujarvi willy nilly weren't great moves, someone "who can draft" probably should've known better than to trade a pick that could've Barzal/Connor/Chabot for Griffin Reinhart too.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean ... sort of. Benson over DeBrincat and just taking Puljujarvi willy nilly weren't great moves, someone "who can draft" probably should've known better than to trade a pick that could've Barzal/Connor/Chabot for Griffin Reinhart too.
Chiarelli didn't draft good, mind you. But he still drafted better than Holland. McLeod and Skinner right now are the best players in the post-McDavid Oiler drafts.

And that is so, so sad.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Chiarelli didn't draft good, mind you. But he still drafted better than Holland. McLeod and Skinner right now are the best players in the post-McDavid Oiler drafts.

And that is so, so sad.

I await the day the Oilers draft a late pick, and the late pick ends up blossoming into an actual player that could contribute to the NHL roster.

It's nauseating looking at this list and seeing the blanks during the later rounds (aside from the 2015 draft)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00