Speculation: Coach Killers?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland isn't known for making in-season trades, and most of his trades have been duds. If the Oilers lost to the Kings last year there's no doubt in my mind Holland is currently unemployed.

Chiarelli could also draft. Not sure that Holland can.
Chiarrlli made the mcLeod find, the only below 1st round find oilers had.

If Brandon Davidson wasnt injured by Tkacjuk he would also been a defenseman worth keeping.
Bear was also a steal for Chiarelli.
But chia also picked yamamoto amd puljujärvi while a ton of surefire stars were free to pick. Thats not good drafting. And then took Benson over McDavids pal DeBrincat. Thats criminal. Why didnt Chia trade to get another 2nd rounder to pick DeBrincat, or vice verca. Pick DeBrincat, and trade up for Benson?? I give Chia Bouchard pick. Few belived in that pick.

Holland drafts for 5 years to come. Not really exciting though. And Holloway could be better.

I think sometimes Oilers should just trade away everything below 1st round for roosterplayers, or pack them together for an extra 1st rounder, causr this franschise cant draft aftrr 1st round.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I await the day the Oilers draft a late pick, and the late pick ends up blossoming into an actual player that could contribute to the NHL roster.

It's nauseating looking at this list and seeing the blanks during the later rounds (aside from the 2015 draft)
Don't even get me started. We had 3 first round picks in 2007 and only one did anything for us. Eberle is probably the best non-top 10 pick we've had since.............. man I don't even know. And between Gagner, MPS, Cogliano, Hall, and Eberle, we have absolutely nothing to show for any of them.

Reactions: McAsuno

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I await the day the Oilers draft a late pick, and the late pick ends up blossoming into an actual player that could contribute to the NHL roster.

It's nauseating looking at this list and seeing the blanks during the later rounds (aside from the 2015 draft)
Seeing all other NHL teams making NHL players after 1st round, even if those are few, I think the developement program and system here is to old school. Something is up in that area.
I cant say what, because im not in it.

If Holloway played in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Detroit he woukd be a contributing 3rd liner by now. Something is up.

Brobergs developement is 3rd round quality

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Seeing all other NHL teams making NHL players after 1st round, even if those are few, I think the developement program and system here is to old school. Something is up in that area.
I cant say what, because im not in it.

If Holloway played in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Detroit he woukd be a contributing 3rd liner by now. Something is up.

If

What frustrates me is the lack of ice time concerning Holloway. We have Kane out, Foegele out, and then Hyman last night. That literally leaves a legitimate spot in the top 6 for a spark plug in Holloway to immediately slot in. The moment we saw Holloway FINALLY inserted on Nuge and Janmark's line, there were scoring chances as Holloway was flying out there. But no, Woody has consistenty played him less than 10 mins TOI on a line with the likes of Derek Ryan, Brad Malone, or Devin Shore. WTF can he do by playing with those kind of players compared to the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, etc.

Imagine if Brad Malone wasn't the shooter on the 2 on 1 last night compared to an actual top 6 forward, and I'm quite certain the puck would've been in the net instead of hitting the pads.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Leon will never be a 200 foot player outside of specific events. Leon doesn’t skate, he gets in his positions and stays there, he is super effective at that. Expecting anything more than that from him is just being foolish. Leon is lazy player, and even being lazy he is among the best in the league offensively. The team needs to be built around the short comings of McDrai and it just simply isn’t.
I think a bit of recency bias is at work here. Sometimes, he can be defensively lazy, yes, but that stupid ankle injury from last year is still affecting his mobility and being played 100 minutes a game doesn't help matters.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What frustrates me is the lack of ice time concerning Holloway. We have Kane out, Foegele out, and then Hyman last night. That literally leaves a legitimate spot in the top 6 for a spark plug in Holloway to immediately slot in. The moment we saw Holloway FINALLY inserted on Nuge and Janmark's line, there were scoring chances as Holloway was flying out there. But no, Woody has consistenty played him less than 10 mins TOI on a line with the likes of Derek Ryan, Brad Malone, or Devin Shore. WTF can he do by playing with those kind of players compared to the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, etc.

Imagine if Brad Malone wasn't the shooter on the 2 on 1 last night compared to an actual top 6 forward, and I'm quite certain the puck would've been in the net instead of hitting the pads.
4th line todsy isnt meaning big checking forwards, a checking line. Its the "players who shouldnt play more than 10 min a game collection, of diffrent brands". I wonder if that blending mix of this and thats is a good idea.

Make a real checking line, and keep Holloway on a 3rd lne.
Put Malone Shore Kostin as the checking line, pain in the ass line.
And those who can handle scoring chanches; Holloway McLeod fogele/Pulju/Fogele as a 3rd.

Oilers needs more 2 way players in bottom 6. All of pulju, fogele, Shore, Ryan,Benson, Malone is border NHLers or lacking in offense or defense. Benson could be a 2 way player, he hasnt blossomed yet.

Today Fogele is the 6th forward on the team, ev3äen when everybody is healthy.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
4th line todsy isnt meaning big checking forwards, a checking line. Its the "players who shouldnt play more than 10 min a game collection, of diffrent brands". I wonder if that blending mix of this and thats is a good idea.

Make a real checking line, and keep Holloway on a 3rd lne.
Put Malone Shore Kostin as the checking line, pain in the ass line.
And those who can handle scoring chanches; Holloway McLeod fogele/Pulju as a 3rd.

Oilers needs more 2 way players in bottom 6. All of pulju, fogele, Shore, Ryan,Benson, Malone is border NHLers or lacking in offense or defense. Benson could be a 2 way player, he hasnt blossomed yet.

Today Fogele is the 6th forward on the team, ev3äen when everybody is healthy.

I wonder if a Holloway McDavid Hyman line could work out? Hyman is gold as a player, always works in the right way.
Nuge Leon Kane 2nd line.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Leon will never be a 200 foot player outside of specific events. Leon doesn’t skate, he gets in his positions and stays there, he is super effective at that. Expecting anything more than that from him is just being foolish. Leon is lazy player, and even being lazy he is among the best in the league offensively. The team needs to be built around the short comings of McDrai and it just simply isn’t.
Well
Then
There’s a problem

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
if he isn't producing offensively, yes.

if he is, no
He produced last season right?
He’s producing this year no?
He’s scored a big 4 more goals than he’s been on the ice for against 5 on 5
A lack of commitment to any type of defensive responsibility means he is less of a player than his skill could allow him to be
So
Go ahead
Get 120 points a year, get swept when it matters most, enjoy early summers,
Rinse
And
Repeat

See Steve Yzerman

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I think a bit of recency bias is at work here. Sometimes, he can be defensively lazy, yes, but that stupid ankle injury from last year is still affecting his mobility and being played 100 minutes a game doesn't help matters.
Fatigue is definitely part of it and he's likely feeling the minutes more than anyone.

He has been giving away pucks like he's oprah since game one though.

If you could bottle up the defensive commitment Drai has the 5 seconds after he has a giveaway this team would be a lot harder to play against. He could have stepped up and provided some of what we are lacking right now, even if just in the short term

Some of it is mental too. And our broken d core makes it so every game we have to score the LAST goal like an NBA game. Hard to commit defensively to that blueprint imo.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He produced last season right?
He’s producing this year no?
He’s scored a big 4 more goals than he’s been on the ice for against 5 on 5
A lack of commitment to any type of defensive responsibility means he is less of a player than his skill could allow him to be
So
Go ahead
Get 120 points a year, get swept when it matters most, enjoy early summers,
Rinse
And
Repeat

See Steve Yzerman
i
guess
im
not
really
buying
it
though.

He's
a
lazy
player
but
there
is
more
players
on
the
ice
contributing
to
goals
against.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Don’t forget Woody consistently gives PJ 11-13 minutes a game often with 97, only to see him fall all over the place, flub offensive chances in mind numbingly boneheaded fashion and play linebacker in front of the net with his stick in the rafters.

He has the hockey IQ of a radish but gets double or triple Holloway, Benson or Hamblin’s ice time every single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad