Coach John Hynes Discussion

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do we know how long of a contract Hynes got? It seems kind of odd we haven't heard anything about an extension if this is the final year of his contract.
It was 3 years when he got it.

Think it was in Gulliti’s blog, which has disappeared, but I distinctly remember 3 years.

Haven’t heard of an extension yet either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boyle and Stafford out there for nearly the entire 2 minutes on the crucial PP at the end. Zajac out there when we have the goalie pulled. Garbage coaching.
He's not that good of a coach, he does a lot of things that make me think ''Is he trying to start up a tank here? He doesn't really look like he's interested in winning with some of these things he's doing''. Especially because he seemed to do them last year, but that was different. We were finished last year when he was pulling this kind of stuff, like playing Lovejoy during 3 on 3 and overloading Lovejoy period? That was the most obvious WTF move that I can remember from last year. He's been doing the same thing with Greene and Zajac this year, but he thought outside the box before the last OT and we won and scored on the first shift!

I don't like him, I don't think he's worth more points than an average coach, like someone tried to convince me last year. That he was worth 5 more points or something. Hynes was the difference in 70 points last year instead of 65? Really? Hynes was the difference in 84 points and not 79 the year before?

All of that said, I am a little bit hesitant to get rid of him, mostly due to paranoia of who gets hired to replace him with. Can you imagine AV (And I think he's outta there after this season) getting fired by the Rangers and Shero hiring him to replace Hynes? That would very bad. Can you imagine hiring an assistant from one of this year's cup finalist, mostly just because he was an assistant on this year's cup finalist? That could set us back even further than keeping Hynes another year.

If we miss the playoffs this year though, I can't see us bringing all 3 of the original Hynes staff back next year. Hynes and both assistant's that he's had since came along in Ward and Nasreddine. I think one of the two original assistant's are gonna bite the bullet if we miss the playoffs this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Need to free Santini.
They’re handling of him has been suspect.

You play him as our #2 shutdown guy for almost the entire season, then he struggles at it and gets scratched for a week? Are they gonna throw him back in on the top pairing again? Then scratch him after he struggles again?

That’s really something worth questioning this coaching staff (perhaps Nasreddine particularly) over.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They’re handling of him has been suspect.

You play him as our #2 shutdown guy for almost the entire season, then he struggles at it and gets scratched for a week? Are they gonna throw him back in on the top pairing again? Then scratch him after he struggles again?

That’s really something worth questioning this coaching staff (perhaps Nasreddine particularly) over.

We are a better team with our young D playing and our record with and without Severson or Santini proves that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would rather play Santini over Lovejoy, but I don't think it's a guarantee that the results would have been any different with him over Lovejoy. The way the game went something else would have probably happened and we still would have lost.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I'm fine with hynes in all honesty. Plus, as I've said, who is out there to replace? Only person id be interested in is Ralph Krueger and he has shown zero indications of coming back to the NHL.

But man I wish they could get Stevens back here to run the defense instead of that clown nasreiddine (I know I botched that spelling)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Does the turnover by Lovejoy leading to the third Bruins goal happen if Santini is there instead of Lovejoy?
Probably not, but overall Lovejoy has been fine, while Santini was struggling.

Granted much different usage, but still not seeing this outrage over Santini getting some games off.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably an unpopular opinion but..... I don't like Stevens as a coach. At least not completely running the D.

The best players don't necessarily make the best of coaches. See Adam Oates and Patrick Roy for examples, on top of a few others that I'm forgetting. Bryan Trottier had a pretty short but miserable stint as well.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Amazing to me how the justification for playing Zajac in all these situations and tough minutes is that we have no one else to do it...he missed like 20 games and we were winning quite a lot without him, now suddenly there’s no one else who would be a better option. What a bunch of BS. He should not be anything other than a 3C or 4C. I don’t care who else you put in his spot they are not going to be any worse at this point. He is an atrocity. He’s a fourth liner being given top 6 minutes, there’s no excuse for that kind of ineptitude from the coaching staff.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Probably an unpopular opinion but..... I don't like Stevens as a coach. At least not completely running the D.

The best players don't necessarily make the best of coaches. See Adam Oates and Patrick Roy for examples, on top of a few others that I'm forgetting. Bryan Trottier had a pretty short but miserable stint as well.

i thought he was OK the last runaround. but i suppose the moral of the story is anyone but Nasreddine rofl?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It was 3 years when he got it.

Think it was in Gulliti’s blog, which has disappeared, but I distinctly remember 3 years.

Haven’t heard of an extension yet either.

Having all of TG's coverage erased has been unfortunate. There was a wealth of information available and nice to be able to reference back to every now and then. In today's world of tech, you'd think that they would be able to save something like that or have it archived.

Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Probably not, but overall Lovejoy has been fine, while Santini was struggling.

Granted much different usage, but still not seeing this outrage over Santini getting some games off.

To me the usage is why I ask the question. If Lovejoy was given the Herculean task that Santini had to endure he might have been worse. Lovejoy is given credit for holding his own in sheltered minutes. If Santini could play those same sheltered minutes and do even a little better why not give those to him? I’m not sure Santini’s only options should be grind him into powder or sit him. Let Santini play with Butcher for a few games and see how that goes. Maybe he’s better than Lovejoy in that role. A few games off for Santini is fine but ease him back in rather than throw him back to the wolves.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Amazing to me how the justification for playing Zajac in all these situations and tough minutes is that we have no one else to do it...he missed like 20 games and we were winning quite a lot without him, now suddenly there’s no one else who would be a better option. What a bunch of BS. He should not be anything other than a 3C or 4C. I don’t care who else you put in his spot they are not going to be any worse at this point. He is an atrocity. He’s a fourth liner being given top 6 minutes, there’s no excuse for that kind of ineptitude from the coaching staff.

*whispers*

Zajac only played 15:21 last night, 6th among forwards

Camille the Eel

Our 9 - 2 start was probably just the hot training camp . . .

But, it was also all done when Zajac and Boyle were both off the active roster. Truth is, since then we've gone with two old slow guys in the middle of the lineup. Both signed through next year, one making 2.5 million (Boyle is 5 for two years right; not five each year) the other (Zajac) more.

My biggest gripe about the club has been that basic decision. If you say you want to play fast and supporting, ice your lineup accordingly.

When you watch us against a faster, younger club like Boston, you actually see how "fast" and "supporting" we are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Does the turnover by Lovejoy leading to the third Bruins goal happen if Santini is there instead of Lovejoy?

The Santini critics would say he wouldn’t have the puck to start with. But yes it would be nice if he’d gotten the soft landing chance Lovejoy did before he went straight from the penthouse to the outhouse.

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

Larsson improved rapidly under Stevens tutelage. I just dont see the improvement in Severson and Santini under Nasreddine. These two are widely inconsistent.

Greene game has fallen off the cliff. Yes it could be age but coaching might also contribute to his decline.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Larsson improved rapidly under Stevens tutelage. I just dont see the improvement in Severson and Santini under Nasreddine. These two are widely inconsistent.

Greene game has fallen off the cliff. Yes it could be age but coaching might also contribute to his decline.

Maybe it’s a stylistic issue. I could see Santini learning effectively under STEVENS even if Severson could use a coach with a different style. Get two defense coaches. STEVENS for the defensive and physical guys and get a mobile defense coach (what’s Rafalski doing these days) for the mobile guys.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Not against Hynes as a person. Just feel he’s better served to coach in the ahl and work with development

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
IMO, I could see a scenario where Ray dismisses John this season

Hopefully not since it would mean a lot more losses.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Having all of TG's coverage erased has been unfortunate. There was a wealth of information available and nice to be able to reference back to every now and then. In today's world of tech, you'd think that they would be able to save something like that or have it archived.

i wouldn't mind re-reading TG's 'lights out incident' post. that was some salty fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad