Coach John Hynes Discussion

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm surprised he wasn't one of the three finalists for the Jack Adams.

We already knew Gallant and Bednar would be two of them, but I'm shocked Butch Cassidy got a top 3 vote over Hynes.

I'm not saying the Jack Adams and finalist votes for it are indicative of who is and isn't good, as it definitely isn't, but it is something that certainly surprised me. That's for sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes has to be four or five on the list I imagine.
Boughner is probably four and Hynes is five!:sarcasm:

Actually, Boughner had such a very good and strong team in Florida this year, he probably gets no votes at all!:sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i like that attitude, not just heaping praise on the kid even though he's earned it
He has a matter of fact style to him. Doesn't get emotional often, doesn't get flustered. This is what needs to be done, now let's do it.

And what he said was pretty evident stuff really. We've all been saying the same thing here all season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So that means we can fire him then right? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
It's been a curse, or at least a few years ago it was for a stretch. Roy got it and then we realized he's a very bad coach, if we didn't already realize it before that. Paulrus lasted one year and a few months after he won his. Bob Harley lasted exactly one season after he won his, he was always a shitty coach though. Should have stayed working at that windshield plant where they found him.

It really looked like Gallant was gonna win it in 2016, but they gave it to Cage Helmet's favorite coach instead, Two-Round Trotz. Gallant was probably happy he didn't get it, but he was fired not even two months into the next year anyway.

Torts got it last year, is he confirmed to be back yet?

Honestly, this award means nothing to me. They might have even given Dead Weight a top 5 vote if the Islanders made the playoffs this year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

For those who continue to crap on the assistants or the staff in general, Blake crediting Nasreddine on the PK units. Had one of the better PKs in the league this year, so credit where credit is due.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

For those who continue to crap on the assistants or the staff in general, Blake crediting Nasreddine on the PK units. Had one of the better PKs in the league this year, so credit where credit is due.

Nasreddine is okay, I don't really think he's that bad. Ward is definitely the one that I think is the weak link on the staff. I'm fine with him getting brought back, it wouldn't be fair to fire him after a season like this, unless we had like a bottom 5 power play or something, but I still don't think he's that good. He wasn't very good before he got here.

I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm fine with Nasreddine over Stevens. I wouldn't mind Scotty as a consultant, D-skills coach, special assignment coach, etc. I really don't think I want him to have autonomy over the defense though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Why I posted the Hynes quote. He gave his assistants glowing reviews and said they are all coming back.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Disappointed the entire coaching staff will likely remain the same. I do not understand (wewhy Stevens was let go in the first place and I'm even more confused he won't be given a look after more success in Minny. Dumba, Spurgeon, and Brodin all took significant strides in their development while Stevens was there. Larsson also took his largest step forward under Stevens in the 2nd half of 2014 with Deboer out of the picture.

Meanwhile Severson, Moore, etc etc haven't progressed much, if at all in the past couple years (not that I expected Moore too, but still). And I still hate how the staff handled Santini this year. Throw him to the sharks at over 20 minutes a game against top lines and then just toss him in the AHL for the remainder of the season. How about scale back his ice time? Or his level of competition post Vats trade? Nah, let's just exile him entirely. Then realize in the playoffs that not having a SINGLE dman that can clear the crease and/or make players think twice about standing on the doorstep is a huge problem...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
All of the folks defending Hynes and Nass have to remember they had Lovejoy to lean on whenever they needed a slow footed mediocre veteran presence taking good bottom pairing minutes from a younger player who might slingshot past Lovejoy next season. Not every coaching staff had that luxury.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Nassreddine is Hynes' no.2.

The two if them were together at Wilkes-Barre and Hynes was always going to bring him with him whenever he got a head coaching job.

Severson development has been poor but sometimes you can't teach toughness. You either have it or not. I think it is more a Severson problem than a Nassreddine coaching problem.

Severson isnt a lost cause yet but I think there is some merit to move him on for LHD help. We do have Santini waiting in the wings.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Nassreddine is Hynes' no.2.

The two if them were together at Wilkes-Barre and Hynes was always going to bring him with him whenever he got a head coaching job.

Severson development has been poor but sometimes you can't teach toughness. You either have it or not. I think it is more a Severson problem than a Nassreddine coaching problem.

Severson isnt a lost cause yet but I think there is some merit to move him on for LHD help. We do have Santini waiting in the wings.
I agree with this. Severson constantly loses battles in his own zone in addition to losing his man. However, he's a good possession guy though because he transitions the puck up the ice very well, so he's worth sticking with IMO because getting the puck up the ice is the most important thing a defenseman can do in today's game.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad