Coach John Hynes Discussion

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's incredibly irritating how many times Boyle loses puck battles he should win on the power play. You would think being 6'7" with his reach he would be an animal along the boards, but he's awful there.

Aside from that, I don't think you can complain too much about Boyle on the PP.

This whole team is aggravating along the boards on PP. It makes the lack of a point threat more glaring

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Zacha on the power play, he was good there last year.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I'm surprised this thread is dead. Hynes is starting to look like he is in over his head. This started a while ago, it's not just the Wings game or Hall out of the line up. It's more.

Don't get me wrong, I like what he did this earlier this year but I'm starting to see a team that is not on the same page anymore. I hope I'm wrong, we'll see how this plays out but I'm not confident he can get this team to the next level or even keep us in the playoff hunt.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm surprised this thread is dead. Hynes is starting to look like he is in over his head. This started a while ago, it's not just the Wings game or Hall out of the line up. It's more.

Don't get me wrong, I like what he did this earlier this year but I'm starting to see a team that is not on the same page anymore. I hope I'm wrong, we'll see how this plays out but I'm not confident he can get this team to the next level or even keep us in the playoff hunt.

As it stands right now his choices are Hall Nico and Bratt for 5x5 and PP with all other choices being less capable. PK he has some choices at least. On defense he has no “go to” pairing that locks down the other team. I’m not suggesting he’s a great coach but the team has pieces and parts and a giant gaping black hole where the second line and first defense pairing should be. Shero wants to play a certain style and there are still numerous players that are not a good fit for it. Certainly there are small things he can do and be quicker to adjust in game but I’m not sure any coach can make chicken salad out of a roster with this much chicken bleh.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
As it stands right now his choices are Hall Nico and Bratt for 5x5 and PP with all other choices being less capable. PK he has some choices at least. On defense he has no “go to” pairing that locks down the other team. I’m not suggesting he’s a great coach but the team has pieces and parts and a giant gaping black hole where the second line and first defense pairing should be. Shero wants to play a certain style and there are still numerous players that are not a good fit for it. Certainly there are small things he can do and be quicker to adjust in game but I’m not sure any coach can make chicken salad out of a roster with this much chicken bleh.
Vegas is league leaders

A coach can bring a team to a Stanley cup

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i still want to know, how does one evaluate if a coach is doing well? i've heard the argument "oh he's only good because of the talent in the roster"

but then when can you tell if a coach is good?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Vegas is league leaders

In Vegas the coach adapted his system to the roster. NJ is trying to adapt the players to the system. Remember the west coast offense didn’t work at first but now is the basic offense in the NFL. NJ is ahead of the curve but is still putting some round pegs in square holes. Again I’m not saying Hynes is great, just that there may be more to the story than meets the eye....

Shero after the first six games of the season: Hey John I really like ourbstart this year. Those young players are the real deal.

Hynes: They are off to a good start Ray but it’s a long season.

Shero: yes of course but I think we can really play that fast paced style we talked about when you came on.

Hynes: let’s see how it goes and we can always adapt if needed.

Shero: sure but I really want those young players developing in the system they will play when the team is successful at a high level.

Hynes: we may lose some games if we do that when the young guys inevitably run out of gas and the injuries mount up.

Shero: go back and read my interviews from when I took the job. The ownership is happy to build the right way through the draft. I told them they have to rebuild from the ground up and there aren’t any shortcuts. I’m ok if we lose a few extra games if we play the right way to set the team up for future success.

Hynes: you are the boss. Fast attacking and supportive it is.

I love writing scenes like this. I really missed my calling. I could have written borderline quality sitcoms like Two Broke Girls as well as the hacks they had doing it.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Come in John have a seat, what's on your mind?

I'm benching Pavel and Damon on Tuesday.

I ducked out...(shudders)...didn't see how they played, what's up?

Well it's just that...I saw Damon was the last one in before the player meeting...which was news to me by the way...so I hear a click as I'm walking up and realize I'm locked out. OK I figure they need this, no biggie.

Thing is, I had to drop some friends off by the pool REALLY bad. Anyway I toughed it out and when they finally let me back in I make a beeline for the stall and drop trou. I hear Pavel snickering behind me as I run by but didn't think anything of it at the time.

So I flush and get up, and I hear this clinking metal type sound behind me. I turn around, don't you know some f***er dropped my car keys in the shitter? I had to fish em out with one of those promotional Chico sticks I had lying around, you know, in the red thing?

Yes, go on...

Well, they're playing fine for the most part, but on account of that toilet stunt I gotta send a message.

(suppressing an urge to laugh) Sorry John, we need them tomorrow, no can do. Anything else?

Ward wants to switch Zajac and Boyle up to the 1st power play unit, you know, for a different look. I thought it sounded like a good idea, and we'll have Greene QB this time, don't know why I didn't think of it before. He's been working on his shot too, pushing 35mph now so you know, #progress.

Between you and me though, I think he needs Lasik or some shit, guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 paces. That's where we've got Boyler with the screen and Trav with those rattler-like reflexes around net? Boss I'm tellin ya, we can't miss!

I dunno John, those guys are looking slower than molasses in January out there. I heard we went 0 for 5 and found a way to get shut the f*** out...but I'll leave the decision to you. Good luck tomorrow night and uh, just leave the door open on your way out.

You got it boss (Hynsie bounces)

(Ray) Hello housekeeping? Send a crew up to my office with some sterilizer, we've got a situation up here.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Vegas is league leaders

Then why did Gallant miss the playoffs with the Panthers last year? Vegas is probably overachieving, but the credit for that goes to the players as much as the coaching staff.

In all honesty the complaints here are ridiculous. We're top 10 in PP, top 5 in PK, 2nd in the Metro with the 5th lowest payroll in the league.

The coaching staff is doing a good job.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Then why did Gallant miss the playoffs with the Panthers last year? Vegas is probably overachieving, but the credit for that goes to the players as much as the coaching staff.

In all honesty the complaints here are ridiculous. We're top 10 in PP, top 5 in PK, 2nd in the Metro with the 5th lowest payroll in the league.

The coaching staff is doing a good job.
Meh

The Panthers missed the playoffs after Gallant was fired. They were over .500 (not a great record) by one I think, when Gallant got fired.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Hynes needs to go. His system is flawed for an 82 game schedule. His personnel decisions are terrible. And the players dont seem fired up at all.

Ive been wanting him gone since last season but thought maybe he had something going to start the year... I was very wrong.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes needs to go. His system is flawed for an 82 game schedule. His personnel decisions are terrible. And the players dont seem fired up at all.

Ive been wanting him gone since last season but thought maybe he had something going to start the year... I was very wrong.
At the very least, you gotta consider it. He should be up for heavy evaluation and given no more than one more year.

My only defense is that we could possibly be hiring a worse coach than him if he's fired. It doesn't make him a good coach, that's not gonna change, but we could be hiring someone even worse.

The only other break I'll give him is that he inherited an elite goaltender, who started to decline a year later and his backup (who he's done a good job of minimizing his games played) has been horrific this year.

Her personnel decisions are laughable at this point. It's like if DeBoer took a bunch of roids. We've seen 30 games of Zajac score only 8 points and it's time to stop trying to pretend that this is just a phase and that he'll snap out of it.

Is he the worst coach in the league? I don't think so, but he's not that good either. He's not gonna cost some of the better teams in the league a playoff spot, but I do feel like he could possibly cost borderline teams a year or two of competing.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
At the very least, you gotta consider it. He should be up for heavy evaluation and given no more than one more year.

My only defense is that we could possibly be hiring a worse coach than him if he's fired. It doesn't make him a good coach, that's not gonna change, but we could be hiring someone even worse.

The only other break I'll give him is that he inherited an elite goaltender, who started to decline a year later and his backup (who he's done a good job of minimizing his games played) has been horrific this year.

Her personnel decisions are laughable at this point. It's like if DeBoer took a bunch of roids. We've seen 30 games of Zajac score only 8 points and it's time to stop trying to pretend that this is just a phase and that he'll snap out of it.

Is he the worst coach in the league? I don't think so, but he's not that good either. He's not gonna cost some of the better teams in the league a playoff spot, but I do feel like he could possibly cost borderline teams a year or two of competing.
Problem is I like him too. His demeanor and his attitude are strong. But his decisions are baffling

He obviously is here for the remainder of this season so Ill give him the chance to keep us in the playoff race - but if we miss again I think he has to go. But keep him as a development coach or something, because he does well with the kids.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Come in John have a seat, what's on your mind?

I'm benching Pavel and Damon on Tuesday.

I ducked out...(shudders)...didn't see how they played, what's up?

Well it's just that...I saw Damon was the last one in before the player meeting...which was news to me by the way...so I hear a click as I'm walking up and realize I'm locked out. OK I figure they need this, no biggie.

Thing is, I had to drop some friends off by the pool REALLY bad. Anyway I toughed it out and when they finally let me back in I make a beeline for the stall and drop trou. I hear Pavel snickering behind me as I run by but didn't think anything of it at the time.

So I flush and get up, and I hear this clinking metal type sound behind me. I turn around, don't you know some ****er dropped my car keys in the ****ter? I had to fish em out with one of those promotional Chico sticks I had lying around, you know, in the red thing?

Yes, go on...

Well, they're playing fine for the most part, but on account of that toilet stunt I gotta send a message.

(suppressing an urge to laugh) Sorry John, we need them tomorrow, no can do. Anything else?

Ward wants to switch Zajac and Boyle up to the 1st power play unit, you know, for a different look. I thought it sounded like a good idea, and we'll have Greene QB this time, don't know why I didn't think of it before. He's been working on his shot too, pushing 35mph now so you know, #progress.

Between you and me though, I think he needs Lasik or some ****, guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 paces. That's where we've got Boyler with the screen and Trav with those rattler-like reflexes around net? Boss I'm tellin ya, we can't miss!

I dunno John, those guys are looking slower than molasses in January out there. I heard we went 0 for 5 and found a way to get shut the **** out...but I'll leave the decision to you. Good luck tomorrow night and uh, just leave the door open on your way out.

You got it boss (Hynsie bounces)

(Ray) Hello housekeeping? Send a crew up to my office with some sterilizer, we've got a situation up here.

Fine, we can write the lousy sitcom together but I get to be the George.

Reactions: mtnet

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Make or miss playoffs, hynes job is safe.

Well it's definitely safe no mattter what assuming the injuries and bad calls continue to dog us. Now if they don't and the team still collapses maybe there's a 2% chance they make a coaching change but I doubt it given where expectations were before the season. Call it Todd Bowles syndrome. When the team's expected to completely suck and merely dissapoints, the coach looks great :P

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
How many goals have we given up during this skid because of terrible over aggressive pinches in tie games? The system is broken.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Problem is I like him too. His demeanor and his attitude are strong. But his decisions are baffling

He obviously is here for the remainder of this season so Ill give him the chance to keep us in the playoff race - but if we miss again I think he has to go. But keep him as a development coach or something, because he does well with the kids.
I've always questioned his X's and O's as well. His system (which looks a little better possession wise recently) reminded me of AV or Carlyle or even Patrick Roy's.

I'm already waiting for him to go conservative again, like he did the last couple years when we stopped scoring and the goaltending broke down last year when we couldn't get a save. We're seeing that right now, the non-save part, so I'm wondering if he's tempted to do that again.

I'm split, but you can't keep the coach here forever. The average head coaching stint right now isn't even 3 years and Hynes will have gotten 3 years. I think at the end of this year, Hynes will have been a head coach here longer than DeBoer. He's gonna be close, I forgot when DeBoer was fired in 14-15, I remember it was Christmas, but forgot the number of games into the season. Looks like game number 36.

DeBoer was our head coach for 248 regular season games, Hynes will be at 246 after this season. It's not like he hasn't been here long. And if he makes it to game 3 next year, he's our longest tenured head coach in over 20 years. Since Lemaire 1.0 back in 93-98.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Make or miss playoffs, hynes job is safe. Willing to guarantee that.
Well it's definitely safe no mattter what assuming the injuries and bad calls continue to dog us. Now if they don't and the team still collapses maybe there's a 2% chance they make a coaching change but I doubt it given where expectations were before the season. Call it Todd Bowles syndrome. When the team's expected to completely suck and merely dissapoints, the coach looks great :P
How long do you let him go and try to make the playoffs before firing him? Like how many years? Bill Peters is the only current head coach that's survived 3 straight non-playoff years with the same job.

If we miss next year does he get to come back for year 5?

At what point is the cord cut? At the very least you gotta change some of these original assistant's that he has.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think Shero sees this as anything close to a finished product and will give Hynes one more year so long as Hall Vats Palms and Corey are ok with him.
I think if you give him one more year, that's gotta be it.

It's not his fault that Cory is declining and his backup has looked like an ECHL'er this year, it's not his fault that we can't score on 800 shots against a terrible goaltender (look what happened to him tonight) like Mrazek, but some of his tactics suck. He's wasted a lot of 3 on 3's this year by wasting the first 45 seconds with Greene and Zajac. He's playing Zajac like he thinks this is a fluke stretch and that Zajac isn't really approaching 2014-2015 Zubrus levels of engine damage.

I'm split, but I certainly refuse to give him all the credit for this season or a significant amount of it.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Do we know how long of a contract Hynes got? It seems kind of odd we haven't heard anything about an extension if this is the final year of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->