Coach get fired on (enter date here)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
This is how I think it could go down.

It's going to come down to how the team responds during their 4 game homestand in the 2nd half of October. If they don't respond and by that point they have a <.500 record, McLellan will be relieved of his duties and replaced on the interim by Gulutzan before they get on their plane to Nashville. I don't doubt for a second that Chiarelli wouldn't throw McLellan into a woodchipper if it meant saving his own skin.

Chiarelli won't be fired at that point though, but the clock will officially start to tick on him, depending on how the team responds for the rest of the season. If the team gets back into the fight and either makes the playoffs or just barely misses, then maybe he keeps his job for one more year. If, however, they are looking to be out of it by the trade deadline, he'll be fired, and heaven help us if it's someone from the Red Wine Summit Club who takes his place.

And the organization will cross its fingers and pray that McDavid doesn't get sick of having the first 4 years of his career frittered away and quietly (or not so quietly) ask to be moved somewhere else.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This is how I think it could go down.

It's going to come down to how the team responds during their 4 game homestand in the 2nd half of October. If they don't respond and by that point they have a <.500 record, McLellan will be relieved of his duties and replaced on the interim by Gulutzan before they get on their plane to Nashville. I don't doubt for a second that Chiarelli wouldn't throw McLellan into a woodchipper if it meant saving his own skin.

Chiarelli won't be fired at that point though, but the clock will officially start to tick on him, depending on how the team responds for the rest of the season. If the team gets back into the fight and either makes the playoffs or just barely misses, then maybe he keeps his job for one more year. If, however, they are looking to be out of it by the trade deadline, he'll be fired, and heaven help us if it's someone from the Red Wine Summit Club who takes his place.

And the organization will cross its fingers and pray that McDavid doesn't get sick of having the first 4 years of his career frittered away and quietly (or not so quietly) ask to be moved somewhere else.

I agree with most of it however based on recent history with this organization, I think the likelier scenario is that Chiarelli keeps his job as President and is pressured to hire a new GM for GM duties at the end of the year.
It's hard to imagine the org needing to find a new President, new GM, and likely new coaches (once the new guys take over and hire their own) in one off-season.

I think likeliest is Gulutzen taking over at some point, and then Chia hiring a new GM at end of year, and said new GM gives Gulutzen a further year of evaluation before making a change.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I’ll give a couple more games but if things proceed like they have so far, then he should get the boot. My main concern is that they could just promote Woodcroft to replace him. I’m genuinely afraid of this scenario.

Reactions: shoop

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I’ll give a couple more games but if things proceed like they have so far, then he should get the boot. My main concern is that they could just promote Woodcroft to replace him. I’m genuinely afraid of this scenario.

Don't take me wrong, I certainly don't want to see Woodcroft here, but I actually think he'd be a better coach for the team. Me saying this without any knowledge about his abilities shows how I feel about TM. It's just that enough is enough.

I do suspect under TM there will be better and worse times, but it's hard to see he would suddenly be able to get the most out of the team. I hate to say bad things about people or estimate how wise they are without knowing all the details, but honestly TM doesn't seem like a very smart coach who strives to make all the little details perfect.

Reactions: PulYou

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If the Oilers are serious about winning, they fire his ass as soon as they hit the tarmac.

One game and a 1/5 PP was all it took for me to be done with him.

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
"1st post". Honestly, I think his job is safe this year. No matter how bad it gets I think management will stay the course. They are a stubborn bunch. Pathetic, really.

Welcome to the board. :)

I think the Oilers could realistically finish the month 1-8-2. Then the death watch begins for McLellan.

That being said. I would be ecstatic with 4-4-3 to finish the month.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think the majority of oilers fans forget how to be fans. This place is toxic.
You guys are brutal, 1 game in and everyone’s writing off the season.
Yesterday's game was an awful lot like most games from the previous season. McDavid tries to do it all because the rest of the team can't do anything.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yesterday's game was an awful lot like most games from the previous season. McDavid tries to do it all because the rest of the team can't do anything.

This.

You can't walk into a new season, after failing last year, do the exact same thing, and expect different results.

Especially when the coaching staff was revamped like it was.

It's rare to see coaching so obviously be at fault like it was last year.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
To be fair there's been a pattern of more than a decade. It's unthinkable how bad this organization has been for so long.

Exactly - there is much more than just his time here to base this on. It is a legit concern. There is currently no reason to think it will get any better for the rest of his 8 years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t really see gully taking over the room at this point. If anything I don’t see any influence from Gully, Vivieros or Yawney on this team. It looks the same as last year so far.

If TM is fired, I am sure that Gully will take over. Honestly I don’t think hes the best fit either. Bleh
When we were talking about Mclellan being fired last spring, who had Gulutzan as being the best choice to replace him? I doubt he was on anybody’s top ten list. Yet now he’s the heir apparent? How does that happen? This is as big a blunder as anything Chiarelli has done as GM. I don’t see how Chiarelli survives a bad start to the season any more than Mclellan does. The organization just hired three new assistants and hired Woodcroft to coach in Bakersfield in an attempt to back Mclellan. We may be in the same situation that Mactavish was in with Eakins where the GM refuses to acknowledge the head coach is the problem because doing so brings him down too. I don’t see Chiarelli firing Mclellan. I think if it happens, it’ll be a decision that’s made above him and because of that it won’t be made as soon as it should be. My guess is it doesn’t happen until December.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This.

You can't walk into a new season, after failing last year, do the exact same thing, and expect different results.

Especially when the coaching staff was revamped like it was.

It's rare to see coaching so obviously be at fault like it was last year.

I think a lot of us suspected Gulatzan as head coach the moment we signed him. That McLellan merely got an execution reprieve and last chance to turn it around reprieve but which is watched and time stamped. The org knows they can't have another throwaway garbage season. They HAVE to have found success in this one. If this club is games off the .500 pace in a months time McLellan is gone.

That the team looks no different than it did last season in schemes is all that needs to reinforce the idea of canning him. Maybe it won't even take that long. The man doesn't have answers. His *assistants* don't appear to have them either, but we know McLellan is stubborn. We know he's used to assistants as subordinates. His downfall could be not listening to them if they have better ideas, which invariable its almost guaranteed that they have.

Reactions: oobga

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When we were talking about Mclellan being fired last spring, who had Gulutzan as being the best choice to replace him? I doubt he was on anybody’s top ten list. Yet now he’s the heir apparent? How does that happen? This is as big a blunder as anything Chiarelli has done as GM. I don’t see how Chiarelli survives a bad start to the season any more than Mclellan does. The organization just hired three new assistants and hired Woodcroft to coach in Bakersfield in an attempt to back Mclellan. We may be in the same situation that Mactavish was in with Eakins where the GM refuses to acknowledge the head coach is the problem because doing so brings him down too. I don’t see Chiarelli firing Mclellan. I think if it happens, it’ll be a decision that’s made above him and because of that it won’t be made as soon as it should be. My guess is it doesn’t happen until December.

We suffered through Eakins. Its only invariable that we suffer the karmic flames of hockey hell suffering through Gulutzan. I don't know what we did to deserve fate, but it musta been pretty bad...

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
It’s one game guys.

However. I do wish our media asked some questions that had some weight to it.

For example I would like to know what in game adjustments were made. Like second intermission.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s one game guys.

However. I do wish our media asked some questions that had some weight to it.

For example I would like to know what in game adjustments were made. Like second intermission.

Adjustments were made, in the Devils room, as they schemed even better for the 2nd period after being the better team in the first.

The reason that the one game seems significant is the team still defaulting to last years schemes. As if the players can't change, won't change, or the schemes are not suitable, not carried out, or not properly worked on.

Its like spending 3 days fixing a clunker and you're up to the armpits covered in grease. You worked on every aspect you think it could be. You take it out for a test ride and you are ecstatic the problems appear to be gone. You drive it around a couple days and you're further buoyed. You then take it out on the highway one day and all the problems return, warning lights, smoke, and you're left stranded on the highway. That's the feeling as you wait for AMA. But the analogy doesn't work in that you can buy another vehicle. you're stuck with this one for life. Its that feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad