Management Coach DJ Smith - Part 2

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
You have to wonder if DJ will get to the stage where his lame duck status creates such toxicity that he opts to pull a Winnipeg and resign from the organization before they let him go.
It’s a possibility for his own career going forward. How upper management is still letting this go is beyond me. They’re a few months in but the fans have been dealing with this for years

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You have to wonder if DJ will get to the stage where his lame duck status creates such toxicity that he opts to pull a Winnipeg and resign from the organization before they let him go.
Maurice could do that because he's established, he knew he was getting another job.

DJ doing the same would not be wise. He very well could never get another shot at being a HC.

Don't worry! The POHO/interim GM - who has no experience in either role at the NHL level - is on it!
I think that because SS knows he has little experience, he doesn't want to be the one to pick the next coach.

That is a wise approach.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Maurice could do that because he's established, he knew he was getting another job.

DJ doing the same would not be wise. He very well could never get another shot at being a HC.

I think that because SS knows he has little experience, he doesn't want to be the one to pick the next coach.

That is a wise approach.
The POHO is the GM's boss, so doesn't every hockey decision go through him?

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

He did not once sniff playoff contention. In five seasons.

I don’t think he’s an option at HC for any organization after Ottawa.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yes but a good leader trusts the judgment of the expert they hired. The POHO is the GM's boss but the GM is in charge of the roster and the coach.

SS probably has next to nothing to go on in terms of selecting a head coach in the NHL. A smart man in that position would not look to learn all that himself over a few weeks, they get someone who has the experience and listens to them to help them make the best decision.

I'd love for SS to fire DJ and get a new coach that will work out but how likely is that outcome? Especially when there is no GM to establish a vision of what this roster needs to start improving.

Dorion had no experience and was thrust into being a GM despite not being ready (or having the personality for it). The last thing we should want is for the coaching staff to get fired, SS to bring a new coaching staff (without the help of a GM) and things don't improve or get worse.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think it works that way, I mean it did with Shanny apparently and that rubbed Dubas the wrong way enough to leave.

The POHO hires the GM to run the team, and he overseas the team and all other hockey related parts of the business.

He’s supposed to be more of a staff officer than a field officer so to speak. His most important job will be to hire the right people in the positions the team needs, and then let them do their jobs.

He will probably be involved in large salary moves if the team has a budget, and will likely step in more if the team isn’t performing to standard, and replace people.

I think it’s pretty clear that he didn’t expect or want to be the GM right now, that he doesn’t want to hire a coach right now, and that neither He nor Andlauer are looking at this season as ‘theirs’.

Their big start will be next season and fans will be stoked on the changes and fill the seats again because so much is new, no matter how apathetic some fans pretend they are getting due to this limbo lame duck season.

I think they need an interim guy to let DJ go with some class, and fairness to him. And I think the team needs a kick in the ass big time.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Dj won't just re-sign because he knows that he may not coach in the NHL again for a long time.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So the players told ownership they want stability after Dorion got fired, and that means keeping DJ? They don’t seem very serious about winning.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
So the players told ownership they want stability after Dorion got fired, and that means keeping DJ? They don’t seem very serious about winning.
I think Andlauer wants cost stability too. If you pay two coaches this season, and have to pick a new coach ahead of a new GM, and don’t want to handcuff him by forbidding him from firing the interim coach, you take your time switching staff.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Surely the players will see the front page of the local paper, and perhaps get an inkling that not only some of the fans want change, but some in the media also see the need for a change…… will be interesting to see if they buckle down and get serious about playing some defence and support their coach.

1701266515322.png

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Surely the players will see the front page of the local paper, and perhaps get an inkling that not only some of the fans want change, but some in the media also see the need for a change…… will be interesting to see if they buckle down and get serious about playing some defence and support their coach.
Lol, that's funny, I'm not convinced some of the players on this team have ever seen a newspaper, I guess if someone posts it on x or something maybe they see it...

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I just finished breakfast and my home fries arrived spelling out DJFired... so there you have it!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Where did you hear this?

I believe it. But where did you hear this.
I remember seeing it reported that they said they didn’t want anymore instability after Dorion was fired, and that probably factored into DJ staying. I can’t find it at the moment though so don’t take it as fact.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember seeing it reorted that they said they didn’t want anymore instability after Dorion was fired, and that probably factored into DJ staying. I can’t find it at the moment though so don’t take it as fact
I thought in the last game someone said Staois and Andlauer wanted stability, not the players told them they wanted stability.

If bringing in a new coach is being done purely on an interim basis, then I agree, not a lot of benefit to firing DJ right now just to have Capuano or Bell take over. If we know we want to bring in Roy or Gallant for example, get it done now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember seeing it reported that they said they didn’t want anymore instability after Dorion was fired, and that probably factored into DJ staying. I can’t find it at the moment though so don’t take it as fact.
I think staios wanted that. Not the players. I mean the players def want DJ to stay. But what do they care about Dorion leaving

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Management doesn't want to deal with new a new contract for a coach that might not work out (Staios having no NHL experience at GM).

So why not give another coach on staff a chance, whether it be an assistant coach or Belleville coach?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's not strategy or coaching. It's execution and that's on the players on the ice. Our guys just weren't good enough last season. Goaltending and injuries were a big part why we missed. I would argue coaching was the only reason we were still in contention in the last few weeks.
who keeps player accountable if they can't execute?

Brannstrom is the only player that DJ has tried to keep accountable and that's probably because he isn't a bruiser with size like Hamonic

It is really important to keep young players accountable from bad habits. The Sens have failed at that. If the goal is to develop then they didn't do much of that in the defensive zone over the years

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think Andlauer wants cost stability too. If you pay two coaches this season, and have to pick a new coach ahead of a new GM, and don’t want to handcuff him by forbidding him from firing the interim coach, you take your time switching staff.
An attendance drop because of constant losing would have a financial impact as well. You've only identified part of the cost analysis.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
An attendance drop because of constant losing would have a financial impact as well. You've only identified part of the cost analysis.
I mentioned the concern about loss of revenue in attendance drop in other posts. We’ll see how concerned he is about short-term revenue vs long-term revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad