Management Coach DJ Smith - Part 2

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You using pre season to strengthen your argument?
Yes I am. Especially when both teams in both those those games were playing more or less their full NHL team, and we were playing those 6 defensemen.

It's also not just the fact that we won those games, but the way we won them. Solid D structure start to finish. Didn't allow a single goal against.

You know this place would be melting down and pointing at those games if we had done poorly in them.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
We have a little bit more than a one game sample size.

We have three games with Chych-Chabot, Sanderson-Zub, Brann-Hamonic in the lineup. We had 7 periods in a row with zero goals against us, and solid looking structure in the D zone.

Carolina is the best team in the league at hemming teams in their zone with their relentless pressure, forcing them to collapse. That's why they're a legit cup contender. This happens to almost every team that plays against them. The fact that we looked solid defensively for the first 30mins of that game should be encouraging, especially when you also consider the 7 period shutout we had going before that.
I hope you’re right, and it’s a valid point. They looked improved in preseason and the canes are a relentless team. I guess we’ll see, but my faith in DJ is diminished in these areas. Winning will take care of all concerns though.

Reactions: Bileur

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
There has been, we've been told Giroux will not be playing C at any point, as he hasn't played C in close to a decade and he's been great on the wing

Hockey Reference and CBS list him as a center, and he takes shorthanded draws - doesn't seem like that lingers from a decade ago.
If they want to piss away points that could cost a playoff spot to keep him on the wing while lesser talents play center, seems like a good way to get fired....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hockey Reference and CBS list him as a center, and he takes shorthanded draws - doesn't seem like that lingers from a decade ago.
If they want to piss away points that could cost a playoff spot to keep him on the wing while lesser talents play center, seems like a good way to get fired....
Giroux has been playing wing since 2016/17, and he himself has said he wants to remain at wing.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He wants to play wing, but has no issue taking draws. So will continue to take draws, just not the centre responsibilities.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
No coach gets fired after 3 games. Even 10 is unlikely unless they go like 2-8.

Feels hard to blame and fire the coach if the roster remains as handicapped at center as it is without Norris and Pinto.
I recall Blackhawks replaced their coach with Quenville 4 games into the season ..

Sure he's handicapped. But Dorion seat is also super hot 🔥 right now and he needs a scape goat. Not saying it's the right move ... I'd replace both.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I recall Blackhawks replaced their coach with Quenville 4 games into the season ..

Sure he's handicapped. But Dorion seat is also super hot 🔥 right now and he needs a scape goat. Not saying it's the right move ... I'd replace both.
I looked that up and you are right! I would still put it in the incredibly unlikely territory imo. I think he gets 15-20 before that's on the table, unless like I said, they go 2-8 or something.

Decent point, but it's bad optics imo. It could still happen, but I think it would look a little silly to fire the coach if he's still missing Pinto and Norris by then. Imo, they will lose more than they win while they're both out and that's mostly unavoidable with the depth they have at center currently, so I don't know how you go firing a coach unless they're really in the shitter.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not calling for DJ's head but I do think the coaching staff is stale. They have opinions on players and what they like and don't like and they likely have been on the same page for a while ... so when it comes to setting lines or keeping/waiving players they have the same ideas. I'm sure they throw things around but they don't have any fresh eyes saying you know maybe Stutzle Giroux Batherson vs we are keeping Stutzle and Tkachuk together ( all agree) ... That's just a blue sky example but I think its something we are missing . Also having a good X and Os guy would be helpful.

The players love DJ and they do for a reason. IMO the whole thing can get stale , the messages, the values, including the comfort level of the players.

None of this is about one game. I think they would benefit from a little shakeup .. doesn't have to be wholesale.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
No coach gets fired after 3 games. Even 10 is unlikely unless they go like 2-8.

Feels hard to blame and fire the coach if the roster remains as handicapped at center as it is without Norris and Pinto.
Flyers canned Peter Laviolette after an 0-3 start in the 13/14 season. It's not common, but it does happen from time to time.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I hope it doesn't take enough losses for the sens to be eliminated in October or November for dj to get fired.

If the sens are a train wreck in their own end but still pulling out wins with pure offense... I hope that's enough for him to get the axe

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I looked that up and you are right! I would still put it in the incredibly unlikely territory imo. I think he gets 15-20 before that's on the table, unless like I said, they go 2-8 or something.

Decent point, but it's bad optics imo. It could still happen, but I think it would look a little silly to fire the coach if he's still missing Pinto and Norris by then. Imo, they will lose more than they win while they're both out and that's mostly unavoidable with the depth they have at center currently, so I don't know how you go firing a coach unless they're really in the shitter.

I don’t see it happening before sweden

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I haven't been vocal about firing DJ Smith, but some of the recent lineup decisions are pushing me over the edge. I truly don't understand the logic behind the Chychrun - Chabot pairing. It cost us a goal last night IMO. I also don't understand why you wouldn't spread around the playmaking (mind you, how many playmakers do we have?), and provide someone to dish the puck to Tarasenko, and another to do the same to Kubalik.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I agree that Chabot tends hold onto the puck for a while, but it's not because of indecisiveness. He does it to draw opponents further out of position, then makes the pass, which allows for another quick pass a third open player because Chabot drew the opponent far enough away from position.

We had the 2nd most PP goals in the league last season with Chabot as our main PP QB. Clearly he's doing something right.

Yeah, that's not what is happening at all. But you're not exactly the most rational Sens fan around.

We had the 2nd most PP goals in spite of Chabot, insert Sanderson/Chychrun and it's the same or even better. Likely better. The PP looked absolutely lethal when Chabot was injured and the other D took the spot.

Reactions: Emrasie and Loach

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Blackhawks canned Denis Savard after 4 games in 08/09 despite improving by a big margin the year before.

I remember how Patrick Kane cried during an interview when that happened because Savard was his buddy.

But Chicago realized that being the players' buddy doesn't win you games.

Ottawa should realize the same thing.

Reactions: robsenz

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
How does it make sense to have 3 playmakers on pp1 (Giroux, Stü, batherson) and then 3 snipers on pp2 (Kubalik, Tarasenko, Chycrun)?

Leaving quarterbacks and netfront guys aside for now, maybe would prefer Sanderson before Chabot but still less of a head-scratcher...

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Wondering when they're going to finally decide to pull the plug on this coaching staff? I don't buy this notion that you can't name an interim coaching staff because you don't have a GM in place. Who the f*** cares? Name an interim HC, hire your GM whenever you hire them and let them decide from there what happens.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Our team is like watching kids in Montessori, just learn on your own and go wherever the hell you want.
off topic: I was a Montessori elementary school teacher for 20 years. I'll have you know my class had structure! My students had plans, due dates and weekly goals. In theory, yes, there is a lot of freedom in Montessori but students have to demonstrate responsibility as well.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
off topic: I was a Montessori elementary school teacher for 20 years. I'll have you know my class had structure! My students had plans, due dates and weekly goals. In theory, yes, there is a lot of freedom in Montessori but students have to demonstrate responsibility as well.
We have goals too, being .500 at the end of November lol.

It wasn't a jab at teachers lol, we're looking at schools (Inc. Montessori) for our kid right now.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Wondering when they're going to finally decide to pull the plug on this coaching staff? I don't buy this notion that you can't name an interim coaching staff because you don't have a GM in place. Who the f*** cares? Name an interim HC, hire your GM whenever you hire them and let them decide from there what happens.
He left a good impression off-ice when Andlauer came in. Unfortunately that means shit all when it comes to actually winning hockey games.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
You have to wonder if DJ will get to the stage where his lame duck status creates such toxicity that he opts to pull a Winnipeg and resign from the organization before they let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad