Coach Boughner

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Not sure how people can complain about Boughner's strategy/system when it clearly worked last season when we got good goaltending. This team isn't getting beat at the blueline, defensive lapses have little do to with the system and more to do with the player's individual mistakes.

Matheson's constant blind soft clears are not a system issue. Petro sucking is not a system issue (playing him is a coaching issue though.)

Put either two of these d-men in another system and they're not going to suddenly become more reliable. Putting Matheson with a more experienced d-partner might help him but that's not a coaching issue because Boughner doesn't have any options.

The lack of scoring from the bottom 6 is a roster issue.

PP is elite and PK has slowly improved some but is handicapped by goaltending.

Boughner will end up getting fired and then have a great coaching career like Deboer who people here hated because he was boring and people didn't think he was a good coach or Gallant who is a good coach but caught lightning in a bottle last season.
That’s just not accurate IMO.

I admit that I know *know* that Boughner is not addressing the right issues and that he isn’t actually trying to get the team to play the right way, but the players just aren’t getting it. I don’t know that it isn’t primarily a player issue and Boog is actually great and doing nothing wrong.

Like most here, I’m forced to go by what I see rather than what I know from behind the scenes. What I see is Boog playing the wrong players in the critical positions. I see the same players making mistakes yet getting playing time while others who look better are sitting. I see the team not having grit and effort and not being physical. I see them try high risk plays that result in a lot of interceptions and takeaways. Despite their success on the PP, their zone entry is risky and not efficient. I see the Boog not taking charge of making sure the PK is better. I see a lot cuteness, and not a lot of decisive precision. Etc.

Boog got the results last season towards the end. Why isn’t it working this season? I see him not adjusting to smaller, faster teams with good puck movement. I see lack of game IQ on ice and lack of ability to anticipate. Lack of going where the puck is going to be as opposed to where it is, as Gretzky said way back.

I admit I don’t know for sure, but that’s my read. And, regarding the comment about Boog coming in ready with a powerpoint....that’s good but if it stays on the computer screen, what good is it? I’ve been told millions of times that Reimer’s good play last spring shouldn’t give him a pass now. So why should Boog get a pass now?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
That’s just not accurate IMO.

I admit that I know *know* that Boughner is not addressing the right issues and that he isn’t actually trying to get the team to play the right way, but the players just aren’t getting it. I don’t know that it isn’t primarily a player issue and Boog is actually great and doing nothing wrong.

Like most here, I’m forced to go by what I see rather than what I know from behind the scenes. What I see is Boog playing the wrong players in the critical positions. I see the same players making mistakes yet getting playing time while others who look better are sitting. I see the team not having grit and effort and not being physical. I see them try high risk plays that result in a lot of interceptions and takeaways. Despite their success on the PP, their zone entry is risky and not efficient. I see the Boog not taking charge of making sure the PK is better. I see a lot cuteness, and not a lot of decisive precision. Etc.

Boog got the results last season towards the end. Why isn’t it working this season? I see him not adjusting to smaller, faster teams with good puck movement. I see lack of game IQ on ice and lack of ability to anticipate. Lack of going where the puck is going to be as opposed to where it is, as Gretzky said way back.

I admit I don’t know for sure, but that’s my read. And, regarding the comment about Boog coming in ready with a powerpoint....that’s good but if it stays on the computer screen, what good is it? I’ve been told millions of times that Reimer’s good play last spring shouldn’t give him a pass now. So why should Boog get a pass now?
31st ranked goaltending. How do you not expect that to torpedo *any* coach's plans?

If you get bad goaltending, everything else looks bad too and it's easy to analyze every single thing else and pick it apart. Our power play is elite and we have no issues with zone entry. If we did, it wouldn't be producing the way it does. The issue with the PP is that we're giving up SHGs and that's not a zone entry thing. What we do to enter the zone is not unique either. Lots of teams use it because it works.

PK relies on goaltending and it hasn't been good. Skaters can only do so much when you're getting our goaltending.

Why isn't it working this season? Because we're not getting the same goaltending.

I think you're trying to say Boughner isn't coaching by saying it stays on the computer screen. Not sure how you come up with that.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
31st ranked goaltending. How do you not expect that to torpedo *any* coach's plans?

If you get bad goaltending, everything else looks bad too and it's easy to analyze every single thing else and pick it apart. Our power play is elite and we have no issues with zone entry. If we did, it wouldn't be producing the way it does. The issue with the PP is that we're giving up SHGs and that's not a zone entry thing. What we do to enter the zone is not unique either. Lots of teams use it because it works.

PK relies on goaltending and it hasn't been good. Skaters can only do so much when you're getting our goaltending.

Why isn't it working this season? Because we're not getting the same goaltending.

I think you're trying to say Boughner isn't coaching by saying it stays on the computer screen. Not sure how you come up with that.
Okay.

I give up. It’s not ALL goaltending. But you and others continue to think that, I get it. No amount of explanation from an anonymous stranger will change that. Understandable.

I give up on this argument and y’all can have your echo chamber and thus you have all the answers. This is getting just as tiring as the losing season. I’m just out of energy. Sorry.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Okay.

I give up. It’s not ALL goaltending. But you and others continue to think that, I get it. No amount of explanation from an anonymous stranger will change that. Understandable.

I give up on this argument and y’all can have your echo chamber and thus you have all the answers. This is getting just as tiring as the losing season. I’m just out of energy. Sorry.

TWENTY-FIVE giveaways tonight. that's at least double every other decent team tonight.

i'm with you.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
TWENTY-FIVE giveaways tonight. that's at least double every other decent team tonight.

i'm with you.
giveaways are a silly statistic that doesn't tell the whole story. there was a good article on this awhile ago and it's a very superficial stat. I believe a good PK where you're constantly dumping the puck down ice would increase your "giveaway" stats when that's the play to make or if you're handling the puck a lot, that increases it too. Our style of play with our stretch passes is going to increase the giveaway number. That's why you need to watch the games and have context.

Leaders in giveaways by year:

17-18: Yandle, Burns, Gardiner
16-17: Burns, Karlsson, Petry
15-16: Subban, Doughty, Burns
14-15: Subban, Tavares, Burns
13-14: Karlsson, Hjalmarsson, Hall
12-13: Phaneuf, Markov, Byfuglien
11-12: Kovalchuk, Thornton, Getzlaf

I'd take them all on my team, not sure about you.

But you can use the eye test and tell guys like Matheson and Petro are giving away the pucks in situations where it's a bad play.

If you look at our TA/GA ratio we're at .7, tied for 17th overall so pretty average. If Petro didn't play, we'd prob be at .7 tied for 13th overall. I'm not sure giveaways as a team are much of a problem and last night it may have been inflated by a great PK.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The same people who ridiculed calculator guys in the past are praising calculator guys to justify that goalie is the only thing we need to change.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
The same people who ridiculed calculator guys in the past are praising calculator guys to justify that goalie is the only thing we need to change.
Analytics are stupid. The eyetest shows that the goalies suck. Roberto is a shell of himself and Reimer is ECHL caliber.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Capuano is a bad coach, Boughner is a bad coach.

When a top flight coach is out there (Quenville) you have to go for him .

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
im fine with him, you cant blame him for god awful goaltending. but for the love of god just stop scratching kis in favor of petrovic. thats my only gripe.

Reactions: RainingRats

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I’m done with this guy I hope management is too. Makes zero adjustments his team can’t play defense scratches a good Player in favor of a detriment

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Third game in a row for Petro over Kis

Why isn't anyone getting fired for this?

Im curious as well. For a team that claims to want to focus heavy on stats and analytics, I wonder what the stats are when Petro is on the ice ?
How many games have we won when he does not play ?
How many goals against when hes on the ice ?
How many goals have we scored when hes on the ice ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad