CNN: Actresses allegedly paid syndicate to deceive college admissions.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
giphy.gif

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder what the kids being exposed think. I would be mortified if I found out my parents rigged college admissions because I wasn't good enough.

The school knew you were't good enough for them, your parents decided you weren't either.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

This is saddest part of this. There are essentially above the board ways to bribe your way into these schools, but people wanted a cheaper way with guaranteed results.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Their kids must be really dumb
I would have thought their parent's name(s) alone would have gotten them into the schools. Why so much money?

Anyway, I'm Canadian and I don't THINK we have that problem up here - altho, I could be wrong.

Sep 19, 2008
What troubles me is that they just had people take the SAT for them. Like, I grew up in a very rich community and I took the SAT just like everyone else, except I had hours of SAT prep courses :cool:

If you send these kids to posh prep schools and prepare them for the SAT for hours and take AP courses and do extracurriculars you should have no problem. Then again I graduated a very long time ago. Since I left the education scene it appears to have gotten much more competitive. But at the same time it's like these people didn't want to go through any work at all. "Let's just give our kids college entry. Subvert the whole process thing."

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What troubles me is that they just had people take the SAT for them. Like, I grew up in a very rich community and I took the SAT just like everyone else, except I had hours of SAT prep courses :cool:

If you send these kids to posh prep schools and prepare them for the SAT for hours and take AP courses and do extracurriculars you should have no problem. Then again I graduated a very long time ago. Since I left the education scene it appears to have gotten much more competitive. But at the same time it's like these people didn't want to go through any work at all. "Let's just give our kids college entry. Subvert the whole process thing."

The article above mentions that one of the kids got a 1000 on the SAT the first time and then her parent paid for her to get a 1400 the second time. I'm not sure what the scale is nowadays, but 400 points was a huge difference back when I took it, the difference between "maybe 4-year college isn't for you" and academic scholarship level. If you're in the former category, no amount of SAT prep work is likely to give you a good score, especially not the kind of score to get you into the really good colleges that these rich parents wanted their kids in. I took the SAT twice and improved my score 80 points, and I remember that that was considered a great improvement, since most students didn't improve at all or only 20-50 points. Obviously, this isn't to condone what the parents did, but I can see why they felt that cheating was the only way that their kids would ever get a good score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad