Post-Game Talk: Clutch Hutch Shuts Down Scorned Islanders | Leaf Win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hutch was never a great goalie in the NHL even before Babcock. He played well (& kudos to him for that) and the team defended well in front of him.
But I still dont see him as the solution. But for now one game at a time. And hope Freddy stays healthy.

Great game tonight though.

The recent results before Keefe were not acceptable for Hutch but a .907 carer save percentage over 6 NHL seasons and 123 games shows that he is a passable backup option.

He is 29, a good age to settle in exactly for what he is needed for.
A spot starter that will give you a save percentage that starts with a .9 over the long haul of a season for cheap $$$.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Whenever he’s been moved up he’s been forced to move over to the left side, which he isn’t comfortable playing.
we had like 2games when Will was on his offwing and Kappy was on the right
and he still wasnt as good as he is right now on the 3rd line
idk

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This run the Leafs are on is starting to get separation from the rest of the division. Even if Florida wins their two games in game they're still two points back.

Now they're in a stretch of 6 of 7 at home before the all-star break and no back to back games for a month. This light schedule will help them catch up on some rest before the final stretch of the season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The blue and white machine keeps rolling along.

Isles play a very strict defense first system but the boys found a way to break through.

Now were knee deep in a playoff race after an impressive last month.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The blue and white machine keeps rolling along.

Isles play a very strict defense first system but the boys found a way to break through.

Now were knee deep in a playoff race after an impressive last month.

I will never poke fun at the Isles attendance anymore.

They are 30th in attendance and I can't blame them. I'd rather watch Cards Against Humanity dig another giant hole in the ground for 24 hours than watch an Isles game.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I thought the Leafs made a real breakthrough last night by staying patient against a team that was just trying to smother them.

if they can show that patience when necessary, that will be a huge step forward for them.

That's basically it. When these teams try to play that kind of game, they just have to be patient because in the end our team will get more chances than the other team but if they rush things because of impatience, then it's tough to play from behind.

Reactions: David MORO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can’t imagine anyone had an issue with starting the backup, Andersen can’t play every night.
I can see an issue with who the backup is to start but that’s not on the coach. If Hutchinson can keep it up issue becomes moot.
I was more focused on the NFL only really watched the 3rd but assume he played well by the score.

Watching the Patriots lose was almost as satisfying as the Leaf win.
Poor Bills though.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Can someone link me to the ‘rules’ that say ‘troll liking’ is against them? I’ve never heard of that before... seems a tad on the delicate side, and none of these rules seemed to be in place when we were getting stomped by the Islanders :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
we had like 2games when Will was on his offwing and Kappy was on the right
and he still wasnt as good as he is right now on the 3rd line
idk

Fair. Though he was more effective on the right than left and it was 2 games

When he played with Matthews last season, he was good for the most part.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I will never poke fun at the Isles attendance anymore.

They are 30th in attendance and I can't blame them. I'd rather watch Cards Against Humanity dig another giant hole in the ground for 24 hours than watch an Isles game.

I suppose that would depend on team success.

NYI playing this style swept the 2 X recent Cup champ Pens in 4 games in last years playoffs in round #1.

Isles are #1 in Goals Against so if you believe in " Defense wins Championships" then Isles system/structure is built that way.

If our offense driven entertaining Leafs keep losing in round #1, but the watching paint dry NYIs kept advancing beyond the 1st round would you still feel the same?

A 7 game Leafs vs Isles playoff series testing this out would be interesting to see who would prevail. However Leafs are similarly built to the Pens so we have some reference point for a partial comparison.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can’t imagine anyone had an issue with starting the backup, Andersen can’t play every night.
I can see an issue with who the backup is to start but that’s not on the coach. If Hutchinson can keep it up issue becomes moot.
I was more focused on the NFL only really watched the 3rd but assume he played well by the score.

Poor Bills though.

Team Canada Juniors win 5-0 , Leafs Win 3-0, Derrick Henry runs all over and ends a dynasty made for a great day overall in terms of a sports fan.

3 out 4 ain't bad as a Bills win would have been a perfect result.

I watched every minute of all 4 games and the Sweden/Russia WJC game as well, but I watched the TEN/NE game live first and my Leafs on PVR post NFL games, despite my Leafs being my #1 team/sport.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Team Canada Juniors win 5-0 , Leafs Win 3-0, Derrick Henry runs all over and ends a dynasty made for a great day overall in terms of a sports fan.

3 out 4 ain't bad as a Bills win would have been a perfect result.

I watched every minute of all 4 games and the Sweden/Russia WJC game as well, but I watched the TEN/NE game live first and my Leafs on PVR post NFL games, despite my Leafs being my #1 team/sport.
I can’t recall two better back to back football games. No chance today can compare.
Entire neighbourhood is getting together for Canada Russia, only two of us will stay and watch football afterwards

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I suppose that would depend on team success.

NYI playing this style swept the 2 X recent Cup champ Pens in 4 games in last years playoffs in round #1.

Isles are #1 in Goals Against so if you believe in " Defense wins Championships" then Isles system/structure is built that way.

If our offense driven entertaining Leafs keep losing in round #1, but the watching paint dry NYIs kept advancing beyond the 1st round would you still feel the same?

A 7 game Leafs vs Isles playoff series testing this out would be interesting to see who would prevail. However Leafs are similarly built to the Pens so we have some reference point for a partial comparison.

The Pens that won the Cup and the Pens that were defeated last season were two completely different teams.

Don't forget that this same Islanders team got swept by the Hurricanes who then proceeded to get swept by the team we took to 7 games.

Boston only had to beat one team last year to get to the SCF. That's why losing to Boston hurts last year. I have no doubt in mind that the road to the SCF would have gone through Toronto if we beat Boston but our dumb coach and his idiotic tactics cost us a SCF appearance last year.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Poor Bills though.

Bills lost in the most Bills-like fashion.

The only more Buffalo way to lose was if he missed the last-second FG to tie the game........ Channeling their inner-Norwood.

Otherwise, Team Canada wins, Leafs win, Pats lose, Bruins lose, Raps win.

All in all, a very good day! :thumbu:

Reactions: ACC1224

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Poor Bills though.

He deserves credit he was sharp and got a shutout but he also had poor rebound control all night and the Islanders couldn’t buy a goal. How they didn’t score with that guy in front of an open net with Hutchinson beside him was a sight to behold.

We won because we cleaned up the rebounds. If he’s going to stay, I hope that’s what they are focusing on improving.

Reactions: ACC1224

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Poor Bills though.

I said it was a mistake to start Hutch. I'm happy to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad