Post-Game Talk: Clutch Hutch Shuts Down Scorned Islanders | Leaf Win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Yes and thanks. It just goes to show you what a nasty person Babs is and how over-rated he is. Its one thing it to be an *******, but you better have the tools to over-compensate for it, which he doesn't. Bowman was the hugest *****ebag in the NHL, yet players wanted to go to war for him, not because they liked him, but they believed in him.

I really believe that Shanny and/or Dubas wanted to replace Babcock with Keefe so they had the boys lose just enough to have a good reason to fire Babcock and bring in Keefe. I'm pretty sure that after 2 straight first round exits to the Bruins (second time we were up 3-2 in games) with Babcocks stubbornness costing the series so Shanny made up his mind.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Just looking at the way the Leafs are playing as a unit, it looks like part of the problem was demotivational coaching from Babcock and part of it was just everybody playing too anxiously in the Babcock system. So wouldn't surprise me if that's why Hutchinson was playing below his backup standards. Still, they have to monitor the situation and decide if they want to make an investment in a back up.

Let's give Keefe credit for knowing what he's doing. He is such a perfect fit for these Leafs cause he knows the Marlies better than anybody. Earlier this year, Hutch was sent down to the Marlies for 3 games at which time Keefe was still with the Marlies. Hutch posted top class numbers in his 3 games so Keefe knows what Hutch is capable of. Hutch proved it last night that he can flash the leather with the big boys also and hopefully he'll keep on proving it.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Yup. Pens win. Good.

Took 1 point away at least
Yes it’s good, but I think the team we need to see tank is the Quenneville led Panthers (with their offensive talent and the addition of Bobrovsky).

if they are for real then it becomes a four team race to the wire, meaning we also need to keep our eyes on teams like the Flyers, Hurricanes, Penguins etc because one of the four will need a wild card.

I think Montreal and Buffalo are now fading (to their true talent level) and its a Florida to watch imo

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yes it’s good, but I think the team we need to see tank is the Quenneville led Panthers (with their offensive talent and the addition of Bobrovsky).

if they are for real then it becomes a four team race to the wire, meaning we also need to keep our eyes on teams like the Flyers, Hurricanes, Penguins etc because one of the four will need a wild card.

I think Montreal and Buffalo are now fading (to their true talent level) and its a Florida to watch imo

I can agree with that for sure.

Not worried about the other division as much but the 2 Florida teams for sure.

Boston is nowhere close to locking up the division either.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Still basking in the warm glow of this one, most satisfying win of the season so far IMHO.

Love this team!

Reactions: weems

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I really believe that Shanny and/or Dubas wanted to replace Babcock with Keefe so they had the boys lose just enough to have a good reason to fire Babcock and bring in Keefe. I'm pretty sure that after 2 straight first round exits to the Bruins (second time we were up 3-2 in games) with Babcocks stubbornness costing the series so Shanny made up his mind.

Dubas said post Babcock exit that by their metrics they team had made improvements last year under Babcock in the playoffs and that's why they felt it was justified keeping him on to start this season.

I take that at face value. If they had thought deep down he wasn't the right guy for the job in pretty sure he would have been gone before the season started

Reactions: saltming

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Way to go Hutch ... clutch Hutch it was ... that was a huge boost to the boys ... gotta keep Kappy he was a force all night long ... such blazing speed ... great 2 way game and he can help open up ice with his speed on the forecheck and rush ... more convinced than ever before that it has to be AJ that goes ...

Mik JT Willy
Hyman Matty Marner
Engval Kerfoot Kappy
Tima Goat/Spezza Moore

Use Barrie and AJ to get picks in this upcoming draft and a defensive defender

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

I would say losing to the Bruins again was a good enough reason to fire him.

He could have gone on a tear and won 15 of the first 20 and then there was no way they could fire him.

The only logical explanation for keeping him was to give this veteran and achieved coach a chance to redeem himself

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
It was great, TO beat the Islanders by playing their game so now many are thinking TO can win no matter how they play. We know TO wasn't destined to do well playing Babsian hockey and we all know that Babs would've been pleased by the way TO played to win this game. He wouldn't have loved being out shot but visually it was the type of game he wanted/expected.

The win was important but I think TO needs to figure out how to win playing Leaf hockey, Keefe hockey, how to outplay, out talent a simple systems based team. If the Islanders can dictate how a game is to be played against the Leafs then the Leafs still have a far way to go because I felt TO only won that game because it's hot. I didn't feel TO pressed them enough, possessed enough, got enough quality shots on net to justify the win.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It was great, TO beat the Islanders by playing their game so now many are thinking TO can win no matter how they play. We know TO wasn't destined to do well playing Babsian hockey and we all know that Babs would've been pleased by the way TO played to win this game. He wouldn't have loved being out shot but visually it was the type of game he wanted/expected.

The win was important but I think TO needs to figure out how to win playing Leaf hockey, Keefe hockey, how to outplay, out talent a simple systems based team. If the Islanders can dictate how a game is to be played against the Leafs then the Leafs still have a far way to go because I felt TO only won that game because it's hot. I didn't feel TO pressed them enough, possessed enough, got enough quality shots on net to justify the win.

Leafa have won 15 of 20 games under Keefe in every way possible.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You seem to be trying really hard to find something negative to say, why?

Overall during this streak, we've been fantastic. We haven't just been winning, we've been dominating. This game we didn't dominate but we did shut them out, we were certainly not outplayed and NYI is one of the top teams in the league FFS.

We're crushing the NHL right now, why not enjoy it?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
We went thru 3 decent to good years with Babs at the helm but TO to me never looked playoff ready, never looked like they could dictate the play, own the game like we would see from Wash., Boston, Pitts. and others. I'm over the decent to good teams we saw under Babs, I think we all are, out shot and out played against Winterpeg, out shot and outplayed against the Islanders is Babsian hockey. Hot goaltenders are still far too instrumental in TO's success.

Out shooting and outplaying the opposition, deserving to win in every way is what I'm looking for now, not necessarily against superior teams but definitely against lower rung teams, TO can win any night but a lot of those wins seems talent based rather than effort based.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How do the Islanders have such a good record? Srsly, who are they beating?
Washington, Boston, St Louis, Pittsburgh (twice), Las Vegas, Toronto, Tampa Bay (twice), and Arizona, among others. Basically all the top teams (50+ points) except for Colorado, who they haven't played, and Dallas.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We went thru 3 decent to good years with Babs at the helm but TO to me never looked playoff ready, never looked like they could dictate the play, own the game like we would see from Wash., Boston, Pitts. and others. I'm over the decent to good teams we saw under Babs, I think we all are, out shot and out played against Winterpeg, out shot and outplayed against the Islanders is Babsian hockey. Hot goaltenders are still far too instrumental in TO's success.

Out shooting and outplaying the opposition, deserving to win in every way is what I'm looking for now, not necessarily against superior teams but definitely against lower rung teams, TO can win any night but a lot of those wins seems talent based rather than effort based.

I don't even know where to begin and I'm pretty tired to day so I'm just gonna say this:

:facepalm:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
that Kapanen/Engvall attack was so pretty ive watched it like 5times
Kapanen is the perfect 3rd line winger and Engvall is a player for sure
the Tavares line was good
Marner was dancing: a late hit from Komarov it ignited Marner so ...
its so nice to see that the dirtiest teams like the isles bruins blues turn into angels when playin against the Leafs
id say its surprising but it happens every ****ing time
Rielly had a good game imho

Hutch was amazing
great call by Keefe as Fred needs some rest and we need to be more comfortable with our backup

great win
im really happy with the team
so so happy
The Komarov hit probably should have been a penalty, but why do you call the Isles the dirtiest team? Only six teams have taken fewer penalties so far this year. Maybe you're thinking of the Rangers, who have taken the most.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Absolutely correct.
It's as if this team is able to adapt it's tool and skillset as needed to win games.

Beautiful to see.
We beat the Islanders at their own game essentially.

A defensive low-event game where our superior talent capitalized on their chances whereas theirs couldn't, because they don't have enough.

I believe someone said it in the PGT: Keefe is better at implementing Babcock's style than Babcock himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->