Cloning an Ex Leaf

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tim Horton was more of a rushing defenseman than is thought. Go search out some videos of him. He had some serious straight ahead speed but more than that he had that quiet elusiveness you see in that type of defenseman who isn't necessarily thought of fast like Kaberle, Lidstrom, Brad Park.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Wow... you're really reaching now. So, if I understand you correctly... you favour Horton over Salming (slightly) because Salming was playing his "off side" whereas Horton was a natural right hander. The reason for this conclusion is rooted in your own playing experience. That's just priceless.

You point out that Salming collected more points only because he was "allowed" to. How about this... Horton's +/- was better because he generally played on more successful teams... and with better players all around him. Statistics can be used to justify anything, I guess. Very simply... how about this? Although I revere both of these great right side Maple Leafs defensemen... Salming was faster, bigger (check it out), more athletic, covered more ice in the defensive zone, was vastly superior in the offensive zone, was far better at blocking shots -- all of which means he would be far more effective in the game as it is now played. That's the basis for my opinion.

You don't need to reply. We'll leave it like this. Horton was better because he was a right handed shot playing the right side... based on your personal playing experience. That's fine.
You entirely misread my post; whether intentionally or unintentionally, I have no idea, and frankly, I'm not interested in which.

Let's just leave it at: you have your opinion and I have mine.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
He was an ECHL level talent as a defenseman. It was very strange to see a player who used to play defense in juniors choose to not skate backwards in those rare occasions that he was the last man back. Switching to forward was a revelation when it happened. He had that grade A wrister and a heart of lion. And after 4 or 5 seasons in the pros he started developing previously absent stickhandling and passing skills.
So wrong.
Wendel went 1st overall based on his play as a defenceman.
Check out his junior numbers.
You're not even close.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
You entirely misread my post; whether intentionally or unintentionally, I have no idea, and frankly, I'm not interested in which.

Let's just leave it at: you have your opinion and I have mine.
Perfectly fine.

buch7717

Jun 22, 2020
Gotta go with Wendel. Do a bit of everything for the squad but also with him on the team you can have the perks of an enforcer meaning everyone on the team would feel a little more comfortable out there knowing you had a guy like wendel but with decreased fighting now a days wendel would just take it upon himself to run somebody over. Plus then if we have Wendel in the lineup as much as I like a guy like Clifford and he deserves to be in the lineup he wouldn’t be needed in the lineup

Reactions: The Nic

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Pre Injury Berard has the potential to be the best D in Leafs history. Had the makings of the next Niedermayer.

Berard did have a ton of potential. Going against him was that he was never in great shape and repeatedly was a turncoat to his organizations.

P.S. The player who recklessly injured his eye just got inducted into the HofF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad