Cliff Fletcher The Great Destroyer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With Lou and Fletcher mentoring Dubas in the ways of being a GM, what could go wrong?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Stay tuned for the sequel to this thread:

Chuck Fletcher The Great Destroyer

I still can't stand the slant in this thread. You have the current Management group of Shanny/Dubas who've been with this organization for quite some time. With a track record of:

Dead last in the NHL, did not qulify for the playoffs 15-16
First round exit 16-17
First round exit 17-18
First round exit 18-19
Did not qualify for the playoffs 19-20

Yet with 2 semi-final appearances Cliff Fletcher was "The Great Destroyer"? What kind of world do we live in where trading mostly veteran/average players is destroying, and yet we have no playoff success to speak with our current team?

Reactions: 02blkvert

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
We have to remember, Fletcher 2, JFJ, and likely even Quinn were restricted in what the board (Peddie and gang) was allowing them to do. Especially under JFJ - I am not defending him at all, but that was the middle of the era where ownership wanted a run at a playoff spot no matter what - a rebuild was out of the question. Also, as mentioned already - players with NMC don't have to do the team a favour and waive - they both agreed to those terms.

I can't believe it took so long for ownership to agree to do it right - the whole scorched earth approach. It's not easy to build a winner, but it seems like they are doing it right finally after 40+ years.

Look at the Red Wings as an example, until Illitch took over they were almost a guarantee to be a basement team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad