Clemmensen's return and the battle for the backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I didn't like Clemmensen last night at all.

He looked like he was fighting the puck and his movement looked scrambled and unsure.

Maybe chalk it up to first preseaon game?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

He looked like he was fighting the puck and his movement looked scrambled and unsure.

Could be. But he's also 37 years old and a butterfly goaltender. I'm pretty sure he'll be with Wedgewood in Albany.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I'd actually chalk it up to the first preseason game and the fact that he's sucked for a number of years now.

I have zero trust in Clemmenson providing even average backup quality goaltending.

devilinthedetails

Dec 26, 2011
Of the 4 goals given up by the Devils, only the first one was bad. The 2 goals given up by Kinkaid were both good goals. Here are 2 examples of Kreider scoring against 1) Carey Price in the 2014 playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YA3b4kEdo and 2) here he is scoring against Marty in the 2012 playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhclgbIPjG0 The second goal was a slap shot from 12 feet from the goal. I've watched hockey for 45 years and i have never seen a slap shot that close to the goal . How do you expect him to stop that?

JWomp

Jan 8, 2008
Gulitti's take on the situation (from a comment he posted on his post), which is basically exactly what I was thinking:

"The more I think about it, I think Clemmensen will be the back up unless he shows he just can't play at this level anymore. DeBoer keeps saying that he wants Schneider to play "a lot" and he mentioned 70 games to me about a week before camp. Although they won't come right out and say it, i think that's the number of games they'll be shooting for with Schneider as long as things go the way they want.

That will leave only 12 starts or so for the backup and long stretches without playing. I don't think they're going to want Kinkaid to sit for that long just so they can say he's the backup. They'll prefer to let him play in the AHL and then if they need to have the backup play more games for some reason, he might get the call.

Kinkaid doesn't have to clear waivers, so they can send him down and bring him back up whenever they want.

I could be wrong about that, but it's just the sense I get."

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
That makes sense but it's not like we're developing him to be the future goalie anymore. It's Corey's job for a long time. He's the better option so he should be the backup. This wouldn't be like a baseball prospect needing at bats. But I can see both sides to it.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Gulitti's take on the situation (from a comment he posted on his post), which is basically exactly what I was thinking:

"The more I think about it, I think Clemmensen will be the back up unless he shows he just can't play at this level anymore. DeBoer keeps saying that he wants Schneider to play "a lot" and he mentioned 70 games to me about a week before camp. Although they won't come right out and say it, i think that's the number of games they'll be shooting for with Schneider as long as things go the way they want.

That will leave only 12 starts or so for the backup and long stretches without playing. I don't think they're going to want Kinkaid to sit for that long just so they can say he's the backup. They'll prefer to let him play in the AHL and then if they need to have the backup play more games for some reason, he might get the call.

Kinkaid doesn't have to clear waivers, so they can send him down and bring him back up whenever they want.

I could be wrong about that, but it's just the sense I get."

They expect Cory to play 70 games when no other NHL goalie did that last year? That's expecting a lot.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Usually I would agree with the argument to send a young guy (Kinkaid) down who isn't going to get much time, but honestly we are developing a backup goalie, not a starter. In this case it might actually benefit him more to be in the NHL with fewer starts in a backup role.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
That makes sense but it's not like we're developing him to be the future goalie anymore. It's Corey's job for a long time. He's the better option so he should be the backup. This wouldn't be like a baseball prospect needing at bats. But I can see both sides to it.

I think the point is that if Schneider had a long-term injury, Kinkaid would be the starter, and he would be better prepared for that playing regularly in Albany than playing one game every two or three weeks with the big club.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if Schneider gets hurt we are screwed either way IMO...thats not how you build your roster. Kinkaid has paid his dues and should be the backup.

I know someone will bring up 08-09 but that team was much better than this one.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
I would like to see both a little more before jumping to conclusions, but if Kinkaid keeps playing better there's no reason to go with Clemmer. Schneider has one season with 46 starts, and an additional two with 30+ starts. 70 could be a bit of a stretch, so barring injuries the backup is probably getting 15 starts at the very least. As stated before Kinkaid is supposed to learn the role of a backup, so he might as well get used to resting for a week or so between games. He's only three years younger than Schneider, so it's not like he'll be taking over once Cory's done. They'll likely retire around the same time (assuming Kinkaid can be a servicable backup, which is still a pretty big if).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Usually I would agree with the argument to send a young guy (Kinkaid) down who isn't going to get much time, but honestly we are developing a backup goalie, not a starter. In this case it might actually benefit him more to be in the NHL with fewer starts in a backup role.

Ehhh you can go both ways with that. I see your point but I also see Pete's point of wanting to let Kinkaid play. He is still young and can get better at his position. He can't learn if he isn't playing. Could make him a trade asset down the road too if he greatly improves (then we develop wedge as the backup).

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
i kinda hope clem takes the back up spot then Kikaid goes to Albany and leads them to the calder cup andkilles in the playoffs and we trade him for a player that we can use and just sign a back up over the next few years

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well yeah, except for the fact that it hasn't been done since Martin Brodeur did it four years ago.

The last couple years have been compressed schedules between the Olympics and the lockout though. Before that in 2011-12 Hiller and Rinne did start 70+ and Quick, Kiprusoff, Niemi, Ward, Mike Smith and Pavelec had 67-69 starts, so it's not that out of the realm although with the 17-18 back-to-backs it's kind of unlikely imo Cory gets 70+...I could definitely see him come in just under that though, between 65-68 ideally.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
I hope the Clemmer ship has sailed... I like Kinky, has a bit of Brodeur vibe, wanders a bit, stays on his feet, can make the spectacular save from time to time. Want him as the back-up, hope it is a no-brainer decision by outplaying the old vet.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
I'm Hoping for Kinkaid. Just another spot where the team needs to start transitioning into the future. Assuming he earns it of course.

Agreed. Clemmensen isn't the goalie he was back when Marty got hurt, and he didn't impress anyone in his preseason start. It's Kinkaid's job to lose, imo. Clemmensen was acquired as insurance, and I think he'll spend the season in the minors.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Kinkaid is the backup. He earned it last year in the minors. Clemmensen is done. I think the only reason he was brought in was to lure "Big" Gio back.

I would expect a Wedgewood/Clermont duo in the minors this year

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I have to imagine Kinkaid swayed a lot of opinions in his favor tonight. Looked like he had a pretty solid game. I think I'd rather have him in the NHL even if Clemmensen was the better option. Kinkaid gets experience against NHL teams and it opens up more of a spot in Albany (I assume) for Wedgewood.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have to imagine Kinkaid swayed a lot of opinions in his favor tonight. Looked like he had a pretty solid game. I think I'd rather have him in the NHL even if Clemmensen was the better option. Kinkaid gets experience against NHL teams and it opens up more of a spot in Albany (I assume) for Wedgewood.

He was pretty impressive. He made a terrible gaffe early but he bounced back really well and some of those saves late were excellent. He was bad in the shootout, but that isn't that big a deal since with out 12-20 starts he should only see one or two at most over the course of the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
fwiw Albany was 7-8 in the shootout last year so Kinkaid had to be better than our two goalies at it lol

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
fwiw Albany was 7-8 in the shootout last year so Kinkaid had to be better than our two goalies at it lol

Doesn't matter how good/bad the goalies were though, can't win when you score, what 2 SO goals in an entire season? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad