Clemmensen's return and the battle for the backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWomp

Jan 8, 2008
I had the opportunity to interview Scott Clemmensen on his return to New Jersey and the battle for the team's backup job. There are some really good quotes from Scott in the story I wrote: http://thehockeywriters.com/whether-in-albany-or-new-jersey-clemmensen-a-devil-at-heart/

Personally, I think Clemmensen will win the backup job behind Schneider. Lou tends to prefer veteran backups, and I think Kinkaid's development is better served with him playing 40 games in Albany (and maybe one or two in NJ depending on the situation this season) rather than sitting on the bench watching Schneider all year and getting only 10-15 starts.

Thoughts?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
kinkaid has played 3 years in the AHL already. I hope he wins the backup role, it would suck if by next season(when he'll be 26) if he hasn't got some steady NHL experience(15-20 games).

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
If Kinkaid performs decently in any capacity, he will be the back-up. Decent being letting up 2-3 goals and a save percentage of at least .900 in the preseason games he plays. Lou made it known that Kinkaid is his guy when he signed Clemmensen.

Deleted member 28548

Believe Kinkaid will be the backup for the start of regular season. He's paid his dues and proven he's ready for the next step. Liked Clemmenson's game quite a bit years ago, but its fallen off pretty substantially since then.

JWomp

Jan 8, 2008
At the end of last season, I figured Schneider/Kinkaid in New Jersey for 2014-15 was a no-brainer. I figured it was time for Kinkaid to make the jump. Lou signing Clemmensen was a total surprise though. Honestly, why would Lou even bother signing him if he didn't legitimately want him behind Schneider? There was no need to bring in a veteran guy. Yeah, there's the whole "it's for competition" thing, but Kinkaid and Wedgewood could have been the battle for the backup. Then it could have been Schneider and Kinkaid in the NHL and Wedgewood and Clermont in the AHL. Now, Clermont will be wasting away in the ECHL.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
At the end of last season, I figured Schneider/Kinkaid in New Jersey for 2014-15 was a no-brainer. I figured it was time for Kinkaid to make the jump. Lou signing Clemmensen was a total surprise though. Honestly, why would Lou even bother signing him if he didn't legitimately want him behind Schneider? There was no need to bring in a veteran guy. Yeah, there's the whole "it's for competition" thing, but Kinkaid and Wedgewood could have been the battle for the backup. Then it could have been Schneider and Kinkaid in the NHL and Wedgewood and Clermont in the AHL. Now, Clermont will be wasting away in the ECHL.

Have to have insurance in case Kinkaid falters or Schneider gets injured. That's what Clemmensin provides.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
if kinkaid shows that he seems adequate in the preseason, i think he will get the backup job to start. then if over the course he isnt dependable, he will get shipped to albany for clemmensen.

Semak

I'm Hoping for Kinkaid. Just another spot where the team needs to start transitioning into the future. Assuming he earns it of course.

JWomp

Jan 8, 2008
I'm Hoping for Kinkaid. Just another spot where the team needs to start transitioning into the future. Assuming he earns it of course.

I see what you mean, but I think the team already made the transition to the future by locking up Schneider to a 7-year deal.

Sort of going off topic here, but realistically, there probably is no future for Kinkaid in New Jersey. He'll be 33 when Schneider's deal expires. If he is happy as the backup and wants to keep signing here to be behind Schneider, great, but I see him pursuing opportunities elsewhere once his contract expires. It's like Ari Ahonen - for as good of a prospect as he was supposed to be, there was never a chance for him to play.

Semak

I see what you mean, but I think the team already made the transition to the future by locking up Schneider to a 7-year deal.

Sort of going off topic here, but realistically, there probably is no future for Kinkaid in New Jersey. He'll be 33 when Schneider's deal expires. If he is happy as the backup and wants to keep signing here to be behind Schneider, great, but I see him pursuing opportunities elsewhere once his contract expires. It's like Ari Ahonen - for as good of a prospect as he was supposed to be, there was never a chance for him to play.

Good point. CS is the future and the transition player but should he falter it would be nice to have the homegrown player be there to pick up the slack. Or they both play well and the team has another asset to trade. Either way, KK stills needs to prove it in the show.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clemmer has a great attitude, but he just isn't a good NHL backup anymore.

I wouldn't mind him being the backup, the problem is he's just not efficient enough.

If he does win the backup job, hopefully he'll only have to play approximately 15 games. If Cory is healthy and Clemmer plays 15 games, it won't be a big deal. I think Kinkaid can provide at least as good of a job IMO.

Regardless, hopefully we can ride the Schneid for many games during the season. As long as he's healthy, we can get by with sub par goaltending from the backup. Because hopefully the backup won't be playing much.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Clemmer has a great attitude, but he just isn't a good NHL backup anymore.

I wouldn't mind him being the backup, the problem is he's just not efficient enough.

If he does win the backup job, hopefully he'll only have to play approximately 15 games. If Cory is healthy and Clemmer plays 15 games, it won't be a big deal. I think Kinkaid can provide at least as good of a job IMO.

Regardless, hopefully we can ride the Schneid for many games during the season. As long as he's healthy, we can get by with sub par goaltending from the backup. Because hopefully the backup won't be playing much.

see and i think he can be a good back-up he had a decent year 5v5 and a bad one on the PK but the PK isn't all up to him that was Florida not have the players that can defend. The Devils PK well help him a lot and he can be a back up who can play 20 games this year and not kill us like the last year with Moose

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Kinkaid won't need waivers until he's played 53 more NHL games.

That would mean it'd be smarter to start with him up as the backup and Clemmensen as the guy in Albany.

Kinkaid isn't starting 53 games this season.
If he falters, you send him down and bring up Clemmensen easily.

Not that many people would be clamoring to grab Clemmensen off waivers if he was up first and then sent down to make room for Kinkaid -- but there's always a possibility with any injuries that may happen around the league. Then you lose your fall back plan if Kinkaid can't cut it as a backup.

I'd almost guarantee it is Kinkaid's position unless he really falls flat in the pre-season.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'd be worried if Clemmenson is the backup. He's just godawful unless he's playing against the Devils. Kinkaid needs to step up, grab the position and be able to deliver a solid 15-20 games so that Schneider doesn't get overworked.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kinkaid 1 Clemmensen 0

It's still not cut and dry sadly. Kindkaid was definitely better but I would of liked to see him stop one of those two late goals. He was beat cleanly so don't blame him at all but he could of stopped one.

Clemmer was a mess and that first goal was ugly as hell.

So Kinkaid has the advantage but it's not clear yet. Curious to see Wedge play. He has talked a lot how he wants his hat thrown into this competition so curious to see if he can back it up.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't think either goal Kinkaid allowed was bad. That first goal Clemmensen allowed looked even worse than some of the goals we saw go in last year. Love the guy's attitude, but he needs to stop that easy one.

I am not a believer in Wedgewood yet. I see no way that he's our backup. He looked like a sieve for much of last year in the AHL. I see no chance he's our backup. Will be Kinkaid or Clemmer. I'm willing to give Clemmer another chance if he doesn't give up anymore of those easy ones.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I didn't think either goal Kinkaid allowed was bad. That first goal Clemmensen allowed looked even worse than some of the goals we saw go in last year. Love the guy's attitude, but he needs to stop that easy one.

I am not a believer in Wedgewood yet. I see no way that he's our backup. He looked like a sieve for much of last year in the AHL. I see no chance he's our backup. Will be Kinkaid or Clemmer. I'm willing to give Clemmer another chance if he doesn't give up anymore of those easy ones.

I don't think they were bad either but I think they could of been stopped. I want to see a big save out of one of these guys. Not just who messes up the least.

Kinkaid was better but after Clemmer's gaffe on the first goal he could of slammed the door on this camp battle tonight with strong play. Instead he was serviceable. Better but Clemmer can still beat him out.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't think they were bad either but I think they could of been stopped. I want to see a big save out of one of these guys. Not just who messes up the least.

Kinkaid was better but after Clemmer's gaffe on the first goal he could of slammed the door on this camp battle tonight with strong play. Instead he was serviceable. Better but Clemmer can still beat him out.

Good way to put it - Kinkaid was the better of the two, mainly because he didn't let in any softies, but neither one came up with any really big stops.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Good way to put it - Kinkaid was the better of the two, mainly because he didn't let in any softies, but neither one came up with any really big stops.

Kinkaid kept it tied late in the 3rd with a huge save on Kristo, Henrique then scored shortly after

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Kinkaid kept it tied late in the 3rd with a huge save on Kristo, Henrique then scored shortly after

Assume you're talking about the left pad save...I know they called it a huge save on the broadcast, watching the replay though it seemed the Ranger just shot it into his pad vs. Kinkaid having to make any type of a reaction to stop the shot. Could be argued that he was at least positionally sound, but I don't think that was as big of a save as they made it seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad