Helene St. James Cleary could be re-signed, but not play

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm not going to waste energy getting upset until it actually happens.

That said, such a move would undo all the good will Holland has earned from me this off season. Absolutely all of it. Even if he doesn't play a single NHL game, it's not like we've got tons of caproom to spare anymore. This would just compound our problem, and for a guy who would only barely be useful on an AHL squad.

He'd be a poor player on the Griffins. Taking away a spot from a more talented player. He can go be a mentor down in GR if he wants as a coach or something.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Guy must have one hell of a handshake.

Please retire, for your own good.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't understand the thinking behind it if it is true. Cleary's level of play certainly hasn't deserved what the Flyers supposedly offered him. Moreover, if he wanted more term as compensation for signing with Detroit instead, then he didn't successfully bargain for it. So what is he truly owed?

Simultaneously, if the Wings like him so much that they just want him around as some kind of leader or as a coach for the team, besides not bringing him aboard in the appropriate capacity, they would actually be sending him away to the minors, according to what was suggested.

I mean, they could just put a million dollars into a card for him as a parting gift if it's just about the money. So why the strange dance? You know, why pretend that it isn't what it is?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is Babcock's version of the upper decker prank.

LOLOLOLOL

We don't have the cap space anyway. The cap thread said we are 6 or 7 hundred K over? I'm calling BS on this rumor until it actually happens.
If he does get signed, it will make me wonder what kind of dirt Danny boy has on Kenny.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean, they could just put a million dollars into a card for him as a parting gift if it's just about the money. So why the strange dance? You know, why pretend that it isn't what it is?

I think that might actually get the league to step in.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
My reaction to this http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...ste-cap-dollars-on-illegal-promise-dan-cleary

depression.jpg

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't understand the thinking behind it if it is true. Cleary's level of play certainly hasn't deserved what the Flyers supposedly offered him. Moreover, if he wanted more term as compensation for signing with Detroit instead, then he didn't successfully bargain for it. So what is he truly owed?

Simultaneously, if the Wings like him so much that they just want him around as some kind of leader or as a coach for the team, besides not bringing him aboard in the appropriate capacity, they would actually be sending him away to the minors, according to what was suggested.

I think that might actually get the league to step in.

Maybe Mr I. can just hook him up with a Little Caesers franchise somewhere. Win- Win

Actual Thought*

I would be completely apathetic about this if it actually happened so I am extra apathetic being that it hasn't happened.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One of the craziest thing to ever happen... but if it happens under 925k, wouldn't mind. Cleary is a good vet for the Griffins.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
One of the craziest thing to ever happen... but if it happens under 925k, wouldn't mind. Cleary is a good vet for the Griffins.

Cleary shouldn't be anywhere near the Griffins, either. Waste of a roster spot that should belong to someone that needs to actually develop, not some greedy ****er that is trying to screw over an organization as much as he can.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cleary shouldn't be anywhere near the Griffins, either. Waste of a roster spot that should belong to someone that needs to actually develop, not some greedy ****er that is trying to screw over an organization as much as he can.

Cleary would be better than any of the forward veterans there, except Miele. MOD Cleary is not gonna take a spot from a Griffins prospect, he will take it from a veteran. There are those vet limits we are already pushing against.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Cleary would be better than any of the forward veterans there, except Miele. MOD Cleary is not gonna take a spot from a Griffins prospect, he will take it from a veteran. There are those vet limits we are already pushing against.

Give him a try out in Toledo, let him earn his way to the AHL.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Honor your word and honor your handshake deals.

But why not hire him as a coach and pay him $1M or whatever?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This seems really really farfetched.

However it also seems farfetched that a professional journalist would publish this story if there were nothing to it. What could Helene possibly have to gain from this?

Maybe she was just writing fan-fiction in her diary and accidentally hit the Publish button.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Another option, such as giving Cleary a job as a scout, would either require him to take far less money, or else throw off the pay scale as he'd make 10 times the salary of other recent players who transitioned to off-ice jobs, such as Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby.

Pretty sure this would be considered circumventing the cap.

Brandel*

Wings have 48 contracts + Teemu + Jurco

We've discovered the reason behind the Tangradi signing

Aug 6, 2012
I don't get Holland's love affair with Cleary... he has plenty of money. You've gifted him millions the past few years. What are you going to do, pay him $1M per year the rest of his life and call him an 'executive assistant'?

This is honestly the most mindblowing thing I've seen in a long time. I make fun of Sweeney for his 41=41 nonsense, but this is just as bad. I know it might not be true, but if it is this is so unbearably embarrassing for KFH.

At this point I don't want Cleary anywhere near the team, on or off the ice. His veteran leadership obviously hasn't helped the team in a long time, and just like Babcock we need some new voices in the room. I can't even believe I am typing this right now.

Please, Dan, I beg you. Go the **** away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad