Helene St. James Cleary could be re-signed, but not play

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/07/15/detroit-red-wings-roster/30187825/

There's also still the Daniel Cleary situation to resolve. When he was brought back, at former coach Mike Babcock's insistence, in 2013, it was with the understanding that the Wings would make good on some -- not all -- of the money that Cleary left on the table when he didn't accept the Philadelphia Flyers' offer ($8.25 million over three years). The Wings might end up re-signing Cleary for one last year, but even if that happens, general manager Ken Holland has told Cleary that he won't make the NHL squad. If Cleary gets the same $1.5-million contract he had last season, the Wings would get $925,000 in salary cap relief by sending Cleary to the minors.

What the ****? What situation? Holland is willing to burn nearly 600k of cap space on Cleary to not even play on the team the entire year? Holland has no spine if he agrees to this, let Babcock pay for his promise in Toronto if he loves him so much.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/07/15/detroit-red-wings-roster/30187825/

There's also still the Daniel Cleary situation to resolve. When he was brought back, at former coach Mike Babcock's insistence, in 2013, it was with the understanding that the Wings would make good on some -- not all -- of the money that Cleary left on the table when he didn't accept the Philadelphia Flyers' offer ($8.25 million over three years). The Wings might end up re-signing Cleary for one last year, but even if that happens, general manager Ken Holland has told Cleary that he won't make the NHL squad. If Cleary gets the same $1.5-million contract he had last season, the Wings would get $925,000 in salary cap relief by sending Cleary to the minors.

Some of the dumbest crap I ever read. My head hurts.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
And people wonder why i think Ken Holland is a terrible GM.

I do like how the narrative has now changed at it was Babcock who brought back Cleary. How delightful.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
It's from Helene St. James, Cleary's #2 fan. I'll believe it when I see it.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
They wouldn't have the money to waste that cap space. At most, he'd get $925,000 or whatever the contract size is that they can bury in the minors and not have any cap hit count against the NHL salary cap.

That's still stupid but if Illitch wants to burn money, then more power to him. At least he won't be in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not even a tiny bit surprised. Cleary owns Holland.

He won't get a roster spot if this happens, correct?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I like how HSJ continues to perpetuate a rumor that would implicate the Wings in breaking the rules laid out by the NHL.

True or not, what does she think she is doing?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's what the article says, but what does losing 600k on the cap do? Who loses their spot because Cleary forces them out?

It's inexcusable, first and foremost.

Clearly Mr. I has no problem wasting money on a guy who is worthless as a hockey player, that's on him. He basically lit 2.5 million dollars on fire last year.

Maybe they only do this if they can also swing a trade to actually free up a good amount of cap, like Quincey for a pick or picks. If they actually do this, and then it causes us to lose someone, then it is full blown idiotic.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
It's Ken Holland, and Cleary doesn't want to retire. He will never be forced out.

What Ken Holland said was Cleary won't make the NHL squad but the contract seem to be all St. James speculation. I couldn't care less if Holland gives Cleary a 925k-or-below contract to be a good leader in Grand Rapids.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
"We want Dylan Larkin in the NHL only if he can prove he can cut it in the top nine."

Meanwhile at Dan Cleary's beach house off the coast of Ibiza...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What Ken Holland said was Cleary won't make the NHL squad but the contract seem to be all St. James speculation. I couldn't care less if Holland gives Cleary a 925k-or-below contract to be a good leader in Grand Rapids.

Something that bears repeating.

The $1.5 figure is simply speculation based on his salary last year. Ken Holland did not say he was willing to offer that kind of money, or even imply it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Generally I have felt members on this forum have overblown the Cleary "situation". When I look at the last few seasons I will stand by that. However, we no longer have the cap flexibility to spend 600,000 on someone who doesn't play a single game.

If Holland really wants to make good on his promise, sign him for 925,000. At least the whole contract can buried.

Side question. Could he (theoretically) sign a two-way contract that pays him more (say 1.5M) to play in the AHL than in the NHL (say 925,000)?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
This is so ridiculous. It's insanity. What the hell is wrong with this world?

Give the money to charity. Or give the money to me. This is a crime against humanity and an insult to everyone who works hard for a living and struggles to get by.

This is just a big FU to the fans. And the people who pay money to go see this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Generally I have felt members on this forum have overblown the Cleary "situation". When I look at the last few seasons I will stand by that. However, we no longer have the cap flexibility to spend 600,000 on someone who doesn't play a single game.

If Holland really wants to make good on his promise, sign him for 925,000. At least the whole contract can buried.

Side question. Could he (theoretically) sign a two-way contract that pays him more (say 1.5M) to play in the AHL than in the NHL (say 925,000)?

I believe two-way contracts are capped at 925K. Going to try and look to confirm that.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I will be upset even if he goes to the AHL because he is still taking a roster spot and ice time away from one of our guys who could likely use it to help develop

I am out of words

I hope this doesn't happen

edit: I realize there are distinctions between veteran AHLers and guys who are just there on their way up, and caps on # of guys you can have, but even still, is Cleary better than guys like Grant or Hoggan or whoever at this point? This is all so alarming to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad