Helene St. James Cleary could be re-signed, but not play

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Whynot just pay him under the table or hire him as a consultant and give him the money that way? Why waste a contract on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hoping this is just some fluff, or HSJ is just trying to pump her boy's tires.

She also said Weiss is going to get a look as our 3rd line center, and then he was bought out a week later...

Aug 6, 2012
You'd think Mr Ilitch would be against paying a guy just because he's best friends with the GM. But what do I know.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Hoping this is just some fluff, or HSJ is just trying to pump her boy's tires.

She also said Weiss is going to get a look as our 3rd line center, and then he was bought out a week later...

"Detroit isn't going to be a big player in the free agent market."

"The Wings would like to sign Nyquist to a 2-3 year deal."

"Petry's contract means Green could get $8M."

Wings journalism ****ing blows. I'd say the general opinion on any given subject on this board tends to be more accurate than what these guys spew.

With regards to Cleary, it's gotten to the point where there is no conceivable way that bringing him back is even a neutral, let alone a positive. Given the group of forwards we have in the AHL, we don't need extra veteran bodies eating up time.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
"Detroit isn't going to be a big player in the free agent market."

"The Wings would like to sign Nyquist to a 2-3 year deal."

"Petry's contract means Greem could get $8M."

Wings journalism ****ing blows. I'd say the general opinion on any given subject on this board tends to be more accurate than what these guys spew.

Art Regner is legit. He needs more work.

Kahn is decent.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Hell, if they give me $100, I'll promise not to play for the Wings.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Art Regner is legit. He needs more work.

Kahn is decent.

Don't know much about Regner. I don't like Kahn. He's a less ostentatious version of HSJ - still a hand-fed "journalist" whose best attribute is that he's smart enough to realize he can't bite the hand that feeds because so few other hands will. Pretty sure he was the one who claimed Green could see $8M, despite the fact that Green's luster faded a few years ago, taking with it the hype that generates fat contracts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Cleary has taught me anything, it's when faced with adversity such as this, you keep calm.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The name "Cleary" triggers me, if you could refrain from using it I would be appreciative

Dammit, Cleary!

KIJfHkr.gif

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He is like a sinky fart that just won't dissipate, just too many parts per million.

This really makes no sense why wouldn't they just hire him as a consultant. Why pay him from a roster spot and hit the cap. if this happenes will there still seriously be Holland defenders?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Why not just give him a scouting or front office role? Janitorial? Drive the zamboni?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He is like a sinky fart that just won't dissipate, just too many parts per million.

This really makes no sense why wouldn't they just hire him as a consultant. Why pay him from a roster spot and hit the cap. if this happenes will there still seriously be Holland defenders?

As frustrating as Cleary is, Its Hilarious to me, that this is a legitimate point of contention that people use to justify Holland's firing. Even if Cleary is signed to a 1.5 M contract and spends the year in the AHL counting 600,000 towards the cap, its trivial. 600,000 represents 0.84% of the salary cap ceiling. Again, its trivial. In saying that, I can admit Holland has made his share of mistakes over the last few years. But this Cleary thing (with Holland admitting Cleary will have to play in the AHL) really strikes me as a petty grievance.

However, Holland is not an idiot, and neither are the people he employs as "cap-ologists". Believe it or not, the understand the CBA better than all of us. For this reason I would bet against Cleary signing for anything more than 925,000 (baring a trade of Q/Kindl that frees up a good chunk of salary).

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I still say the NHL would be down the Red Wings throat for cap circumvention if it was anybody BUT Dan Cleary. Because it's him, they are like "Uhh, I guess if they want to shoot themselves in the foot again."

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not going to waste energy getting upset until it actually happens.

That said, such a move would undo all the good will Holland has earned from me this off season. Absolutely all of it. Even if he doesn't play a single NHL game, it's not like we've got tons of caproom to spare anymore. This would just compound our problem, and for a guy who would only barely be useful on an AHL squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad