Confirmed with Link: Clearly Cleary's Contract Continually Creates Creative Controversy

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The point that I was responding to was how sickening it was based on how much he made. I honestly don't think it really makes that much of a difference considering we have the cap space and it was a terrible signing to begin with.

It's sickening because it just shows again how overvalued he is. And it's a somewhat objective measure of it since you can compare him to other players who got paid X or Y and see that he's a worse player but getting paid more.

It's not about the $ amount per se, it's about what the money says about how the team sees him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's sickening because it just shows again how overvalued he is. And it's a somewhat objective measure of it since you can compare him to other players who got paid X or Y and see that he's a worse player but getting paid more.

It's not about the $ amount per se, it's about what the money says about how the team sees him.

Eh, I don't really see it as being that much worse. Does it really change if he is being paid 1 million over 1.5 plus bonuses? Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game since they will be putting him wherever they put him regardless of salary.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well if we want to bring Alfredsson back, wouldn't the overpayment of Cleary push us close to/over the cap? Factoring in that "bonus" (LOL) could also hurt with overages too, if we do bring Alfredsson back.

I think signing Cleary could once again contribute to the cap room and roster hell we had last year, where we can't call players up. If in fact Alfredsson is brought back.

The cap space available now for Tatar, Dekeyser, and Alfredsson is not much, right?

Detroit still has $8 million in cap space, I see Tatar getting around $2 million and Dekeyser getting around $2.5 million-$3.0 million that would still leave about $3.0-$3.5 million to resign Alfredsson plus jurco will be sent to Grand Rapids and that would clear about another $700,000! So we have plenty to lock up all 3 players. Cap wont be an Issue.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Detroit still has $8 million in cap space, I see Tatar getting around $2 million and Dekeyser getting around $2.5 million-$3.0 million that would still leave about $3.0 million to resign Alfredsson plus jurco will be sent to Grand Rapids and that would clear about another $700,000! So we have plenty to lock up all 3 players. Cap wont be an Issue.

That would seem like an issue.

So if Tatar signs for 2.0, Dekeyser signs for 3.0, and Alfredsson signs for 3.0, then we have no cap room. And then we're in that situation again where we can't call players up.

Oh and then when Cleary pays 10 games, we start next year with 1 million less too.

Yeah failing to see how this didn't effect anything.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That would seem like an issue.

So if Tatar signs for 2.0, Dekeyser signs for 3.0, and Alfredsson signs for 3.0, then we have no cap room. And then we're in that situation again where we can't call players up.

Oh and then when Cleary pays 10 games, we start next year with 1 million less too.

Yeah failing to see how this didn't effect anything.

Doesn't affect anything until those hypothetical signings happen.

I'll save my sickness for later, in any case.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
It's not like that money is going to prevent us from signing anyone of value.

It seems like we have quite a bit of cap room at the moment. I personally don't see it as a big issue.

Thats horrible reasoning, just because we have cap space doesnt mean we need to use it.

We have 8 million left, say Tatar and DDK sign around 4.5-5 and if Alfie comes back we'll be up against the cap. Deadline comes around and we look good and oh damn we have no room left

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Thats horrible reasoning, just because we have cap space doesnt mean we need to use it.

We have 8 million left, say Tatar and DDK sign around 4.5-5 and if Alfie comes back we'll be up against the cap. Deadline comes around and we look good and oh damn we have no room left

Huh?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The way I took that was its not stopping us from signing anyone of value so why not give Cleary it.

No, that's not what I meant. I was responding to someone who said it made them sick. I'm not sure I understand that kind of reaction based on the salary he is being paid in this situation.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
No, that's not what I meant. I was responding to someone who said it made them sick. I'm not sure I understand that kind of reaction based on the salary he is being paid in this situation.

You know why it makes me sick? Because it literally makes me sick and angry at times watching him on the ice. I want the Wings to win and get better. Cleary hurts the chances of that happening every time he touches that ice.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Just think. We could have got 2.5 million practice pucks. Or a super tricked out Zamboni.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You know why it makes me sick? Because it literally makes me sick and angry at times watching him on the ice. I want the Wings to win and get better. Cleary hurts the chances of that happening every time he touches that ice.

Okay, but that is the case regardless.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And honestly, that's not really true. While Cleary doesn't help the team win, he generally doesn't actively contribute to them losing. He's a nothing, a useless, nothing.

How so?

Playing on the power play and scoring no goals, over players that could actually score goals.

Playing 13:53 over 52 games where you are -11

These things aren't insignificant. They certainly contributed to losses.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
How so?

Playing on the power play and scoring no goals, over players that could actually score goals.

Playing 13:53 over 52 games where you are -11

These things aren't insignificant. They certainly contributed to losses.

And so did a lot of other things. I guess you could say Cleary contributed to losses, but you can say the same for other players as well, just not as often perhaps.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
And so did a lot of other things. I guess you could say Cleary contributed to losses, but you can say the same for other players as well, just not as often perhaps.

Yeah but those other players significantly contributed to wins. And the ice time Cleary took from said players robbed those players from contributing even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad