Cleaning Hockey Gear

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
I put everything in the washing machine gentle cycle, detergent, fabric softener then hang it on the clothesline... clean & smells great every time ;-)

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Do you guys put your gloves in as well? Based on this thread, I actually washed my equipment (shins/elbows/shoulders) for the first time, but I'm very leery of putting my favorite S17 gloves they don't make anymore in a washing machine.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I did one time and it kind of beat them up a bit, even though they were in a washing bag (like for lingerie). Maybe a zipper pillowcase would have been a better idea. For now I'm just airing them out after games and will hit them with some Lysol and put them in the sun when it's warm.

I've kind of given up on trying to keep gloves for more than 1-1.5 seasons. Both times I've re-palmed they came back fitting slightly different and I didn't like them. They always seem to smell terrible over time and the palms get crusty. By the time they get disgusting to the point I don't want to use them, I'll just toss them and get another ~$100 pair. If it's every other season, that's not so bad.

For the protective, I know that exposing them to hot water can break down the foams, but my take is that they are made to get a little wet (sweat), and so long as you dry them fairly quickly it's okay. I'm willing to replace them every few years rather than use the nasty stuff for a couple years longer. My stuff after 1.5 seasons is still pretty good, although the liners in the shins are showing some wear. I will probably get 3+ years out of them, which is fine.

I do wish I had a front loader and could wash on low/no agitation. Maybe in a few years.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
I have a gas dryer that came with a rack you can put into it for stuff you don't want to tumble dry. Anyone have any thoughts on putting protective gear in the dryer on low on the rack?

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Do you guys put your gloves in as well? Based on this thread, I actually washed my equipment (shins/elbows/shoulders) for the first time, but I'm very leery of putting my favorite S17 gloves they don't make anymore in a washing machine.

I've put my shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin guards in the washer.. I will NOT put my gloves in the washer.

I spray everything (minus my gloves and helmet) with an alcohol/water mix. I put a little bit of baby powder inside my gloves every couple of games

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i just use the tub, throw in some detergent, hand wash (takes like 5mins), and air dry...if your gloves have a leather palm, to much water on them (washing them) will cause it to dry out and that is where the "crusty" feel comes from...im like jarick, i have given up trying to wash gloves because it seems like whenever i start doing that is when the holes start to come...i now have gloves that have fabric palms (will probably never switch back) and they have not only lasted longer than any glove i have had but dont smell or have any holes (been over a year)....i also use tennis grips for my handle which i think helps also

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON

I put my gloves in separately and wash in cold water. I have a pair of Mission L60 gloves (nothing fancy) and haven't had any issues washing them. Perhaps since you have S17 gloves bring them to your LHS and get them to put them in that equipment washing/deodorizing machine???

Jarick

Doing Nothing
IDuck, what kind of gloves do you have now?

The palm material seems to make a big difference. Any gloves I've had with Nash get crusty after half a season but gloves I've had with Clarino have gone 1-2 seasons.

Down the road I'm pretty much exclusively buying Clarino palm gloves and hoping to get 2 seasons out of them, then toss and get new ones in the ~$100 range.

Or if I spot another pair of Warriors on clearance. Think I paid $40 for my Koncepts.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I have not put my current gloves in the wash, but I used to put my old ones in and it did not hurt them that I could tell. The old ones were Reebok Pro Series. The palms were already a little crusty before I washed them so I did not care if the plams got messed up.

With my current gloves I have had them since January and they have not started to smell yet. They are the Bauer X60 Pros. I'm not sure if it is the Thermo Max liner or not, but so far so good. I have never had a glove last this long without starting to stink. I have not even sprayed these with any type of alcohol solution yet. The palms have started to crust a bit so I used some shaving cream with lanolin and that helped. The palms are dual layer nash. I would recommend these gloves and they should start going on close out with the APX's due out soon.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
With my current gloves I have had them since January and they have not started to smell yet. They are the Bauer X60 Pros. I'm not sure if it is the Thermo Max liner or not, but so far so good. I have never had a glove last this long without starting to stink. I have not even sprayed these with any type of alcohol solution yet. The palms have started to crust a bit so I used some shaving cream with lanolin and that helped. The palms are dual layer nash. I would recommend these gloves and they should start going on close out with the APX's due out soon.

Thats how my s11's are with the bio dry liner..they still smell brand new..I pull the liner out and leave them to dry and haven't had an issue with stench..My old gloves smelled nasty and would leave my hands smelling nasty..I would recommend upgrading to a pair of gloves with a bio dry or thermo max liner as it really does work

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
The winnwell pro stocks, the latest ones are the same shell as the tps r8 and if you're lucky u can find the non embossed palms with the nxt liners, which kills smells fast...

I use a spray and I dry my gear on a register throughout my house...

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Clarino definately is the best palm I've used thus far... good feel, good durability and if well taken care of, doesn't present a bad odour
drying your gear is the most important part of increasing the life of your gear and after every game I hang mine and put it directly over the register (skates, elbow pads, shin pads)

for me these methods and items have helped:

gloves - I don't have terribly sweaty hands, and I just spray it with deodourizor and dry them over a vent. I do find my R8 w/ the ballistik nylon to dry faster, and will probably by gloves in the future made of the same material

I don't wear shoulder pads

I don't wear undershirt - I find less sweat induced and just a loose jersy drys quickly when you're skating

Elbow pads, again sprayed with deodourizer and right over the register

Pants - after every 2-3 games I will wash the tailbone protector and hip protector with some hand soap in the sink and dry over a vent

Socks? - Edge socks FTW, hang to dry just like the jersey
dries in minutes.... I think alot of people think they can just throw their knit socks in the bag and not bother taking them out... but wow, I think those end up smelling the worst, as it is just a environment that can harbour and promote bacteria growth

Shin pads? I dry over the vent, and after every 15 games or so, I'll throw the removable liner in the wash (so shin pads with removable liners have their merit)

Skates, again, pull out the insole and put upside down over vent

sounds neruotic, but I never smell and it takes just minutes

if it does start to smell, I will wash some of my gear in the dish washer, where there is no agitator and hang dry

but I have found those ozone based sani-cleans to work pretty well too (especially for things like skates and gloves where you don't want to expose to water)

Last edited:

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but has anyone tried the "Fresh Gear" service? They basically clean your gear using ozone:

http://www.freshgear.com/ozone_cleaning_services_canada_usa.html

There's a hockey shop with it about an hours' drive from my house, but I'd like to know how well it works before trekking out there.

Did my gear once. It definitely kills the existing odor/bacteria. But doesn't take long before it comes back after playing.

For the $20/$30 I'm not sure it's worth it, plus if it's a long drive I'd say probably not. Maybe at the end of a season if you're storing your gear for a few months.

If it was only $10 then I think it'd be a good service every few months.

Washing is probably a better practice, as it will actually remove the grime and stuff that bacteria feeds off which causes odor in the first place.

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
I hang my gear up in my garage after every game, spray it with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water (except helmet and gloves). I wash my helmet seperately with baby shampoo (no tears :)) about once every four or five games. I've also got a scent ball in my hockey bag which keeps it smelling nice.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Did my gear once. It definitely kills the existing odor/bacteria. But doesn't take long before it comes back after playing.

For the $20/$30 I'm not sure it's worth it, plus if it's a long drive I'd say probably not. Maybe at the end of a season if you're storing your gear for a few months.

If it was only $10 then I think it'd be a good service every few months.

Washing is probably a better practice, as it will actually remove the grime and stuff that bacteria feeds off which causes odor in the first place.

THis service actually interests me...but do you think they will clean individual items (not a whole set)?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I usually air them out. Sometimes I'll spray them with a diluted rubbing alcohol mix. Once in a while I stick everything but the pants and skates in the washing machine, does the job really nice.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Put on gear. Jump in pool. Get out of pool. Take off gear. Let gear air dry.

Or, even better, jump in a neighbor's pool.

Note: Try not to drown.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
How do you guys get the funky smell out of your skates? Obviously can't throw those into the wash...is there some sort of antibacterial spray one can use?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I just bought some Lysol last week and gave a couple sprays. I'll see how that goes. I'm obviously not washing them but this past season they started to smell. The first 18 months or so they were fine. Maybe I'll try pulling the liners and spray them and let them dry out in the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad