Cleaning Hockey Gear

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
IDuck, what kind of gloves do you have now?

The palm material seems to make a big difference. Any gloves I've had with Nash get crusty after half a season but gloves I've had with Clarino have gone 1-2 seasons.

Down the road I'm pretty much exclusively buying Clarino palm gloves and hoping to get 2 seasons out of them, then toss and get new ones in the ~$100 range.

Or if I spot another pair of Warriors on clearance. Think I paid $40 for my Koncepts.
im not sure, they are missions that were like $30 i got from big 5 (that should tell you A LOT about how "cheap" im saying) but they have lasted a lot longer then $70 eastons or bauers ive had...as far as the palm material i really dont know but it almost feels like a suede...im telling you, you have to try the tennis grips (the thin ones) they are amazing

Connor Mcdavey*

Cleaning Hockey Equipment?

Hi there, I play hockey biweekly and my equipment wreaks.. I tried wet washing it; big mistake. Is there any service that can clean my equipment? Like drop it off at a sportchek or pro hockey life type of thing? Any help is appreciated.

snizzbone*

Hang it up right after playing.
Spray with anti-bacterial spray (febreze or something)
Dryer sheets in the gloves with the liners out
Jerseys, undergarments, socks, etc in the wash.

I'd also try putting your shoulder and elbow pads in the washer.. worked well for me. Pants I'm not too sure on.

Connor Mcdavey*

Hang it up right after playing.
Spray with anti-bacterial spray (febreze or something)
Dryer sheets in the gloves with the liners out
Jerseys, undergarments, socks, etc in the wash.

I'd also try putting your shoulder and elbow pads in the washer.. worked well for me. Pants I'm not too sure on.

good place to start I guess, what about the hockey bag itself?? I'd rather just pay somebody to clean it initially. I think what you mentioned was ways to prevent the odor, not get rid of them.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yes there is. Hockey Experts locations in Sportcheks will have a Sani Sport machine that does that. Best to call ahead and confirm the existence of one. $25 for skaters.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
No joke, i read an article today where the guy said that the ONLY time he had clean smelling equipment is when he jumped into a pool and swam around in his gear.

Can't imagine that chlorine is great for the fabric, but if you are desperate, there you go.

Pcmm

Jan 19, 2013
Once you get them clean, just air your gear out immediately after you play, if you're only playing once every 2 weeks, you shouldn't have any problems with the gear getting rank! I play once a week and leave my gear on the rack for the rest of the weekend. I only realy find that I have to run my jersey through the way occasionally

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yes there is. Hockey Experts locations in Sportcheks will have a Sani Sport machine that does that. Best to call ahead and confirm the existence of one. $25 for skaters.

how would you compare the Sani Sport and the Fresh Gear?

I know they both uze ozone (instead of water) and it seems to me Fresh Gear 'forces' the ozone deeper into the equipment. From the places I've called Fresh Gear is about 10 dollars more than the Sani Sport (40 vs $30).

I will probably try Fresh Gear around end of April.

Last edited:

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Bad smelling hockey gear is like a badge of honor in the dressing room haha.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
There is also a great video on YouTube from How To Hockey. They have a great selection of stuff. Anyhow, bottom line, except for your skates and helmet throw it in the washing machine. I have good success with Borax powder added to the water too and also adding vinegar to the rinse cycle water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cta4R2D3gPw

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
I've had a lot of success with my rocket dryer. Just throw the gear in when you get home for 90 minutes. It won't do much for an already established funk, but if you wash your gear once, it should go a long way to keeping it from smelling unholy

lilphill23

Apr 29, 2012
North Attleboro, MA
I've had a lot of success with my rocket dryer. Just throw the gear in when you get home for 90 minutes. It won't do much for an already established funk, but if you wash your gear once, it should go a long way to keeping it from smelling unholy

I also enjoy my Rocket Dryer. I had some bauer gloves that had a smell coming from that i could only complare to death. lol. I sprayed it with some antifungal foot spray and threw it in the dryer and repeated the process a few times and the smell went away.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Confirmed: draino does NOT work.

(some got splashed around in the dressing room in Junior hockey, made swiss cheese out of my shoulderpads, jock etc.)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Bad smelling hockey gear is like a badge of honor in the dressing room haha.

I must have been a General in that case!!

I tried many times to have it cleaned, washed it myself, bought every spray you can think of, but nothing helped. Had to buy new gloves (they were the worst), and a couple new Under Armour shirts.

I find one thing that helps is dry sheets in the skates and gloves (GAIN is the best and strongest smell!!) I also just have a few thrown in my bag now. Seems to help.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
how would you compare the Sani Sport and the Fresh Gear?

I know they both uze ozone (instead of water) and it seems to me Fresh Gear 'forces' the ozone deeper into the equipment. From the places I've called Fresh Gear is about 10 dollars more than the Sani Sport (40 vs $30).

I will probably try Fresh Gear around end of April.

No idea what Fresh Gear is. I do like what Sani Sport does though. It's a good method.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
There is also a great video on YouTube from How To Hockey. They have a great selection of stuff. Anyhow, bottom line, except for your skates and helmet throw it in the washing machine. I have good success with Borax powder added to the water too and also adding vinegar to the rinse cycle water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cta4R2D3gPw

yea.. alot of ppl believe in washing

but i guess the OP had a problem with it? that's why i was wondering went wrong???

I am still undecided if I'll wash my stuff in the spring or pay for one of the professional cleanings for around 30-$40.

btw, as others have said, using the rocket sports dryer will keep your stuff smell free for months and months

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Merged with the big thread on the topic.

My method now:

- As soon as I get home, pull everything out of the bag, set it on a wire rack to dry out. Flip the liner inside out on the gloves, pull the skates out of the bag, etc. Then give everything a quick spray with Febreze Sport, including my bag.

- Wash the protective gear that touches my skin every few months, when it starts to smell and/or get some funk on it (shoulders, shins, elbows).

- Never had success washing gloves, always seems to ruin the palms even more. I've found that the only way to prevent crusted palms is to air them out right after games. Leaving them in the bag = crusty palms and no way to undo that. I've resorted to buying lots of gloves on clearance and rotating them.

- Never put my skates in water. They kind of stink, but oh well. I put baby powder in them occasionally.

- Socks, jock, undershirt obviously get washed between games. Jerseys I spray with Febreze Sport and hang them up, maybe wash them once or twice a year, inside out and on super delicate settings, always hang them to dry.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
Obviously the best solution is to not let the smell form in the first place. Remember that it is caused by bacteria, which love dark, moist, warm places. If you're leaving your stuff in your bag, stop. Buy or build an equipment rack.

Even with careful drying, it will eventually start to get a bit smelly. I've had fine luck with throwing everything into the washing machine. Water isn't going to hurt most of this equipment, it gets fully saturated with sweat and melted ice anyways.

If its really bad, unscented Nature's Miracle can be diluted - let it soak with water in the washing machine basin overnight then run a regular cycle. I find vinegar works well too.

Hang to dry. It will be scentless and dry within 24 hours.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Or just throw your stuff in a front loader. Worked wonders for me on the slowest, most gentle setting.

Obviously you don't want to wash them all the time, so I recommend getting a Rocket Sports Dryer and hanging your gear there. If not, make a gear hanger yourself. Wash only when the smell gets a bit strong. Don't wait until it molds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->