Cleaning Hockey Gear

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Anyone here use the Shockdoctor blow drying bag?

I'm thinking about getting one if it works well because I live in Asia, and it's anything but dry here.

i do, i love it, i don't have a lot of space to dry out my gear so the gear never leaves the bag unless i play. posted more details on it above

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
i do, i love it, i don't have a lot of space to dry out my gear so the gear never leaves the bag unless i play. posted more details on it above

Do you use the regular one or the suped up blow dryer? One of the posters in this thread mentioned that this is a pretty heavy bag, do you feel the same way?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Looks like the Power Dry stuff is discontinued. Might be worth finding closeout stuff if you can.

I saw someone selling them on eBay for around $50. I might pick one up if the shipping wasn't so damn expensive to China :shakehead

Will probably grab one when I drop by Vancouver next year, should be even cheaper by then.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Sort of. Like I said, I periodically wash my gear in the tub, or at least some of it.

Protective gear like elbow pads, shin pads, and shoulders I wash in the tub with a bit of detergent and bleach every few months. The bleach kills the smell.

Helmet, skates, and pants I never wash. Sometimes I spray a little Lysol. I used to wash my pants but my Tacklas don't smell at all so why risk breaking down the foam padding?

Undergarments get washed in the machine after every use. I used to use Under Armour type shirts but now I just use cotton muscle shirts. Cheaper and feels the same to me. Note muscle shirts because T-shirts feel DISGUSTING during games.

Jerseys I only wash when they smell because the washer and dryer can wear them down and remove stitching. My old silk screened jerseys I'd wash after every game but with real jerseys I turn them inside out and wash on gentle and then hang to dry.

Mouthguard I soak in denture cleaner every so often. Minty fresh!

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting thread. I've never washed my equipment once. Maybe that's why nobody sits next to me in the locker room.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Interesting thread. I've never washed my equipment once. Maybe that's why nobody sits next to me in the locker room.

You may be joking, but I encountered this a TON in ice locker rooms. Guys wouldn't even take their stuff out after games.

I haven't had this happen to me as much in roller, but maybe those guys are playing outside enough that it kills some of the smells.

Duffman

Nov 15, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Why would I wash my equipment? It keeps my wife out of the one corner of the basement, making that section of the basement a great place to stash gifts for her or hockey/golf gear that I don't want her to know I bought.:laugh:

Seriously though I'll have to try some of these suggestions.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
You may be joking, but I encountered this a TON in ice locker rooms. Guys wouldn't even take their stuff out after games.

I haven't had this happen to me as much in roller, but maybe those guys are playing outside enough that it kills some of the smells.

I'm dead serious. But I do take my gear out after every single skate and air it out in my garage, and I wash my unis, etc. My gear doesn't smell half as bad as some of my teammates. I'd swear I've seen their bags move on their own sometimes.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Cleaning Your Equipment

I've read various ways to keep hockey equipment clean, the most prominent being to fill up a bathtub with hot water and bleach and soaking the equipment in the tub then hanging it out to dry. Has anyone tried this? And is hockey equipment waterproof, specifically the gloves? (gloves always smell the worst)

Gibson19

Mar 18, 2011
It works. Not 100%, but it works. Just make sure to fully submerge your equipment and let it soak. Gloves take the longest to dry. For me about 2 days inside.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I have given my equipment a warm shower without soap/bleach and it gets rid of the smell

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
It works well, but I would recommend thoroughly rinsing the gear before drying it if you've used any chemicals during the cleaning. You don't want that on your skin.

One more thing, I recently invested in a dehumidifier and it is AMAZING for drying my gear. I have a small mud room and I lay my gear out after I play and I crank the dehumidifer and close the door to the room. It sucks all the moisture out, it's actually a disgusting amount of liquid that comes out. It works great for drying gear after playing and after washing gear as well. Especially for the gloves. Sometimes when I had hockey two nights in a row, my gloves would still be wet the second night even if I left them out to dry for 24 hours. Now, with the dehumidifier, though, they're guaranteed to be bone-dry by the next morning.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
you're supposed to be able to wash most stuff in a frontloading washing machine (ala laundromat style) which is how I clean my shoulder and elbow pads. When I played roller I would also wash my girdle in there too. Gloves and other stuff I felt were too delicate so I never did anything with them, but it should still work.

With my goalie gear, I'd never do this...especially since those washers are a bit small and goalie gear is a bit more expensive. When my pants needed washing, I just hosed it down and scrubbed them out for a bit. A lot of work, but it did the trick.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
bathtub, warm water, and gear

put your gear in, rinse it out, or till the water is no longer clear, empty tun and repeat

do this till the water is clear at the end then hang and dry

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
Everything into the washing machine, gentle cycle, cold water, cold water tide.

I put my gloves in a "delicates" bag so the washing machine blades don't ruin the gloves.
Not to worry the gloves are cloth not leather.

Hang on the line to dry & voila done!

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I've read various ways to keep hockey equipment clean

I know this is a late response but the easiest way to KEEP gear clean is to hang dry, preferably with fans, after each use. I lay my gear out on a metal rack with two 20" floor fans underneath and it dries my soaking wet gear in an hour. I went 6 months without ANY smell whatsoever by keeping things dry.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Did my end-of-season gear scrubbing yesterday.

Mixed up some hot water, detergent, and bleach in a bucket, then used a scrub brush to wash this nasty crap off my elbows, shins, and shoulders. Rinsed in hot water in the shower and let it air dry outside.

Sprayed the skates with Lysol (they are starting to smell) and will have to probably do that regularly.

Also going to spray my gloves and pants but neither smell all that much.

Seems like anything that touches bare skin gets nasty but if there's a layer underneath it's not so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad