Trade: [CLE/HOU] Brock Osweiler, 2nd in 2018, 6th in 2017 to Cleveland for 4th in 2017

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Schefter reported that teams are calling the Browns to see if Brock is available. If that's true, I wonder if other GM's have a problem with Rick Smith.

Stupid question: would the team getting Brock from the Browns end up sharing the cap hit with the Browns in any similar way to how the Texans and Browns are sharing it? I don't know how the cap works for a guy after he's been traded. I'm just wondering if the interest in him comes from the fact he'd be much cheaper to team #3 than he was if they tried to go trade for him directly from the Texans.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I had Lamar Miller on my fantasy team last season, he was my 1st round pick. For that reason I watched the Texans almost every week on Sunday Ticket. I can't tell you how many times Brock Osweiler screwed up a drive by being inept in every sense of the word. I wouldn't want him as my team's backup and I'm a 49ers fan.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
$16m for a 2nd rounder seems like a fair price.

Let's see what the draft value charts look like. Using the one from Drafttek:

Browns get:
- 2017 6th (188): +15.8
- 2018 2nd (~48): +190 **

Browns give up:
2017 4th (108): -78

Net gain of +127.8, equal to a low 3rd round pick in 2017 (93rd overall).

** Estimated value of a 2018 pick using the common rule of thumb that a 3rd round pick in 2017 would command a 2nd round pick in 2018.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Could see the Browns trading their 2nd this year and Houston's 2nd next year to sneak into the bottom of the first round if a QB is there.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Stupid question: would the team getting Brock from the Browns end up sharing the cap hit with the Browns in any similar way to how the Texans and Browns are sharing it? I don't know how the cap works for a guy after he's been traded. I'm just wondering if the interest in him comes from the fact he'd be much cheaper to team #3 than he was if they tried to go trade for him directly from the Texans.

Technically it doesn't sound like Cleveland and Houston are "sharing" Osweiler's cap hit. Cleveland takes on all the future guarantees and Houston takes the dead cap from the signing bonus they paid him.

I don't believe Cleveland can trade Osweiler and retain a portion of his salary. However there is a way around it if they want to get creative--Cleveland could work out a restructured contract with Osweiler where some of his guaranteed money is shifted into a signing bonus paid immediately by Cleveland. They could then trade Osweiler to another team that takes on the remaining responsibilities in the contract (at a lower total cap hit). Cleveland would immediately be hit with the full amount of the signing bonus in dead cap this season.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Technically it doesn't sound like Cleveland and Houston are "sharing" Osweiler's cap hit. Cleveland takes on all the future guarantees and Houston takes the dead cap from the signing bonus they paid him.

I don't believe Cleveland can trade Osweiler and retain a portion of his salary. However there is a way around it if they want to get creative--Cleveland could work out a restructured contract with Osweiler where some of his guaranteed money is shifted into a signing bonus paid immediately by Cleveland. They could then trade Osweiler to another team that takes on the remaining responsibilities in the contract (at a lower total cap hit). Cleveland would immediately be hit with the full amount of the signing bonus in dead cap this season.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what the options would be to make this second trade attractive.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They won't cut him yet. The NFL would investigate that since you can't buy picks. They'll cut him at some point in the June mini-camp.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They won't cut him yet. The NFL would investigate that since you can't buy picks. They'll cut him at some point in the June mini-camp.

NFL has no problems with them doing that. Its unprecedented but its perfectly within the rules, if Osweiler wasn't as bad as he was nobody would be saying anything.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think this is correct. The trade was a cap relief deal. No pick was bought or sold.

The NFL has pretty harsh rules. Cleveland has made it clear it was all about the pick. Michael Lombardi had a good run down of why it would be a violation. Now if they eat half his money and trade him, it'll be a legit deal in the leagues eyes. I like the deal for them personally.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Teams trade to get picks all the time. I don't what's the problem here. One team traded a bad contract. It happens all the time in every league.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No one will trade for his contract.

giphy.gif

The NFL has pretty harsh rules. Cleveland has made it clear it was all about the pick. Michael Lombardi had a good run down of why it would be a violation. Now if they eat half his money and trade him, it'll be a legit deal in the leagues eyes. I like the deal for them personally.

ESPN/Barnwell have already gone thru this. It hasn't violated any NFL rules nor will it, you can trade a first for Tom Brady and then cut him if you so wish. Its unprecedented but its perfectly within the rules to trade a pick for a big contract and use your cap space to release the player.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The trade on its own is definitely legal. The grey area only gets introduced if Cleveland does ultimately turn around and quickly cut Osweiller.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The trade on its own is definitely legal. The grey area only gets introduced if Cleveland does ultimately turn around and quickly cut Osweiller.

Again, from what I have read its not much of a grey area. Its just unprecedented. It isn't against any rules to trade for a player and immediately release them.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Again, from what I have read its not much of a grey area. Its just unprecedented. It isn't against any rules to trade for a player and immediately release them.

The NFL rules are somewhat vague but they state it's not allowed to trade money for assets (players/picks).

Osweiler's contract is 100% guaranteed for 2017. His cap hit for 2017 is $16m. Even if they release him, the Browns still have to pay his $16m in salary and take on a dead cap hit of $16m for 2017. There are no future guarantees on the deal, so the Browns could for example keep Osweiler through 2017 and cut him after the season with zero future cap penalties or dollars owed.

If the Browns do cut Osweiler now, then it suggests an interpretation that the team never had any interest in the player, and was only trading $16m of real money for draft picks. Something the NFL has instituted rules to prevent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad