Trade: [CLE/CIN/SD] T. Bauer to CIN, Trammell to SD, L. Allen, Y. Puig, F. Reyes, V. Nova, S. Moss to CLE

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Reyes was a heart and soul guy with 27 HR but only .4 WAR. Bad defender and sort of a one trick pony at the plate.

They are going with the upside in Trammel who should be a good on base buy and maybe play center field in bigs. Margot doesn’t hit well enough to be and everyday Cfer and he still has the highest OBP between reyes/renfroe/Myers

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is there footage of Cleveland's front office watching as Puig was in the middle of a brawl?

survivor1.gif

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
This has been the most random WTF trade deadline ever.

I don't exactly get this for the Reds...what, they get an extra year of Bauer over Puig and give up Trammell to do it? It's not as if they're in the race this year so really only Bauer's 2020 matters to them.

Joe Girardi commented that the Reds may have acquired him to flip him to a contender and rake in more prospects for him.
He might be on to something.

Otherwise, you are right, Bauer doesn't seem to fit in with Cincy's needs...they pitch well enough already and are not ready to contend yet...they need hitters.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
This trade is especially interesting from a Twins fan perspective.
Cleveland is Minnesota's closest pursuer, and the Tribe just weakened their pitching a bit, BUT, gained to big hitting outfielders.

If the Indians' strategy here is to try and outmash the Twins (they play a crap-ton more against each other this season), then that is very misguided as not many teams CAN outmash the Twins this year.
Now pitching? I thought the Indians had an edge over Minnesota there...both in the rotation and the bullpen, but now they just made themselves a bit weaker in that department.

Interesting indeed.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
This trade is especially interesting from a Twins fan perspective.
Cleveland is Minnesota's closest pursuer, and the Tribe just weakened their pitching a bit, BUT, gained to big hitting outfielders.

If the Indians' strategy here is to try and outmash the Twins (they play a crap-ton more against each other this season), then that is very misguided as not many teams CAN outmash the Twins this year.
Now pitching? I thought the Indians had an edge over Minnesota there...both in the rotation and the bullpen, but now they just made themselves a bit weaker in that department.

Interesting indeed.

They'll be getting Kluber back soon and he's better than Bauer. Salazar too to see if he has anything, even if it's just out of the bullpen.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Joe Girardi commented that the Reds may have acquired him to flip him to a contender and rake in more prospects for him.
He might be on to something.

Otherwise, you are right, Bauer doesn't seem to fit in with Cincy's needs...they pitch well enough already and are not ready to contend yet...they need hitters.

I disagree with that, tbh. Bauer-Castillo-Gray is a legit top three and they have players coming through the farm. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I disagree with that, tbh. Bauer-Castillo-Gray is a legit top three and they have players coming through the farm. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him.

Could be.
Girardi's take just hadn't occurred to me so it intrigued me.
I have been very impressed with the Reds' overall pitching this season (their team run differential is ridiculously good for a team near last in their division), which is why I felt their needs might be hitting.

The Yanks were said to have guys like Andujar (3B/SS currently recovering from surgery, but should be ready next season) and OF Clint Frazier available for the RIGHT deal.
Maybe the Reds flip him that way to pick up those two up n coming sluggers? Astros are said to have some nice pieces the Reds could use as well.

But even if the Reds keep Bauer, yea, they should look nice in the rotation and pitch well once again....but the hitting....and then, Bauer's final year of his current contract is next year.
Will the Reds back up the money truck to keep him?

Again, it's why Girardi's take intrigued me.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Ready to bet that Reyes and Allen will end up as stars and Trammell will bust.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ready to bet that Reyes and Allen will end up as stars and Trammell will bust.

Allen definitely won't. He screams long reliever/spot starter to me.

Reyes could be but he's a DH, star DH's are pretty few and far between. He'd need to get on base a lot more and make more contact for that to happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I also like how this trade trolls Bauer...so you’re annoyed being on a contender because you get taken out of a game and you’re in trade rumors? Well we’ll show you, you’re going to an NL outpost now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad