GDT: CLB/CAR Part 2: The Anti-Jinx Crusade Continues On

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'd like to say f*** the offside reviews. Two times this season just against Columbus alone they have had a big effect in games with varying contexts, but both overshadow the games. Tonight, the goal was scored 19 seconds after the offside; it was initially called as the game winning goal in OT no less. Turns out, sike! There has to be a time limit that after a certain point, an offsides that wasn't called by the refs doesn't qualify for being overturned as a goal. 15 seconds or over seems like a decent time frame for when goals can't be overturned from offsides.

I'd also like to say the Canes player that was offsides should get an ass chewing from Rod and the coaches. It was overtime, on a power play, and you screw up on such an easily avoided situation? That should never happen again in such a situation. Be a little more patient for your puck carrying teammate before you race to the goalie.

Oh, and I'm glad Columbus wasn't penalized for a player hitting his stick to pass a stick on ice to his teammate at the end of the third. If something is illegal, and it's that obvious a player committed a penalty like that one, how can the refs not call it? LOL. Where's the grey zone on that one?

Now, I know our boys have a crazy schedule with this condensed season, and the isolation/quarantine makes things harder for them. I also know we miss some of our injured players. BUT, this was a tough loss. They need to get hungry for the wins against Columbus these next 2 games. Let's not make this a bigger losing streak than it already is.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Or angry blog or something. I didn't even discuss the awful turn overs. Now for the next game we go.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Meh. We won the game if Svech has his foot on the line. Or maybe if he or Nino put a shot on net in the shootout. I know the back pressure was tight but....

It’s a tight match against a team that thrives on tight games over the past few years. Only thing I found annoying about the game is Tripp’s recent thing about being all over Dougie defensively. He’s been basically the same guy defensively for his Canes career, so I’m not getting it. He even ties the franchise record and its Mike saying congrats and Tripp doesn’t say a thing. It’s a franchise record.....cmon man.

The conspiracy theorist in me finds the timing interesting. Tripp is usually an echo chamber for the organizations feelings on particular issues, and with the deadline approaching they must be trying to get him signed. Hopefully this isn’t setting the spin for us moving on from Dougie, who once again showed despite his general nonchalance he can heavily impact a game.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We are missing that dominant defenseman that wins you games?

Dougie Hamilton literally won us this game, except that Svech was offside.

Sorry, I don't care how long you've been watching hockey games. This take is bad.

DH:
He was elite last year but c’mon not so this year. Anyway, that’s my realistic take on the team...sorry if I don’t wear red tinted glasses.

Last year:
Games Goals Assists + -:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This year:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If you remove context (which you shouldn’t, this game wasn’t that important), that was one of the most deflating ways to lose a game I think I can remember for the Canes.

On to the next one for sure, but man, even waking up this morning that’s just an unbelievable series of unfortunate events.

Hope the team recognizes that sometimes that happens and they just move past it!

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
DH:
He was elite last year but c’mon not so this year. Anyway, that’s my realistic take on the team...sorry if I don’t wear red tinted glasses.

Last year:
Games Goals Assists + -:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This year:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yes, he’s dropped all the way from 0.85 PPG to 0.8 PPG. His defense has never been his strength but it has improved as the season went on.

Hanilton is what he was: a streaky defenseman who is currently on a hot streak and doing his best to carry this team. He delivered the win tonight before the review.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We stuck around through the 10-year-drought for the right to bitch and moan about nights like tonight. Because the bitching and moaning comes from a place of love. We care about the team and know they can play better.

A world of difference from the drought times, where it was less bitching and more joking, because dark humor was the only way to cope with the mire the organization had found itself in.

THIS. That was a tough stretch to be a Canes fan.

If you’re Waddell, do you give away future assets now or hold em for future years?​

I think Wadell is in a tough spot- looks like we have elite goaltending in the pipeline- do you go all in to get a good one now for a cup run this year and maybe ruin that or just bide your time knowing our window is just opening?

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I think Wadell is in a tough spot- looks like we have elite goaltending in the pipeline- do you go all in to get a good one now for a cup run this year and maybe ruin that or just bide your time knowing our window is just opening?
I'd wait. The core is young.

And it's not like we can't beat anyone we face if we are healthy.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

Genuinely curious about this. What G prospects do we have that are considered "elite"?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Be a little more patient for your puck carrying teammate before you race to the goalie.
Agreed, but it's not as if he's attacking...he's staying put in that area just inside the blueline...so there's no reason for him to be anything other than patient and make sure he stays onside. Just an absolute brain-fart. After years of watching Svech, I've been less than impressed at his meta game brain...and that's fine, not every thinks the game to the level we've been so fortunate to witness with Aho, Francis, Brind'Amour, etc.

Cam was lights out the year we won

In 2005-2006, Cam Ward had a .882 Save Pct (ranking: #71) and 3.68 GAA (ranking #76) in 28 games. That is nothing close to lights out, even when considering its relativity to the high number of goals scored that year.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
I'd like to say f*** the offside reviews. Two times this season just against Columbus alone they have had a big effect in games with varying contexts, but both overshadow the games. Tonight, the goal was scored 19 seconds after the offside; it was initially called as the game winning goal in OT no less. Turns out, sike! There has to be a time limit that after a certain point, an offsides that wasn't called by the refs doesn't qualify for being overturned as a goal. 15 seconds or over seems like a decent time frame for when goals can't be overturned from offsides.

I'd also like to say the Canes player that was offsides should get an ass chewing from Rod and the coaches. It was overtime, on a power play, and you screw up on such an easily avoided situation? That should never happen again in such a situation. Be a little more patient for your puck carrying teammate before you race to the goalie.

Oh, and I'm glad Columbus wasn't penalized for a player hitting his stick to pass a stick on ice to his teammate at the end of the third. If something is illegal, and it's that obvious a player committed a penalty like that one, how can the refs not call it? LOL. Where's the grey zone on that one?

Now, I know our boys have a crazy schedule with this condensed season, and the isolation/quarantine makes things harder for them. I also know we miss some of our injured players. BUT, this was a tough loss. They need to get hungry for the wins against Columbus these next 2 games. Let's not make this a bigger losing streak than it already is.
Great post.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Or angry blog or something. I didn't even discuss the awful turn overs. Now for the next game we go.

Reactions: Sigurd

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That's very true. Seeing the reactions and freak outs throughout the web after every loss is a bit eye opening when things are relatively good. Constructive criticism is one thing but the nasty bashing and degrading the team and players is a bit much to me. What does it accomplish except give our fanbase a bad rep? Some of our players are on some of these platforms and forums taking it all in as well.

Oh, I agree that it is often completely uncalled for, and totally unacceptable when it crosses into interactions with the players (hello Twitter). I admit I am not immune to overreactions myself here. I think that in a place like these boards where we are unlikely to interact with the players or staff or whoever we are discussing, a little hyperbolic reaction is fine if that lets you blow off some steam....like when a person yells at the TV in a bar that the "refs suck" or "how can you miss that" to the players he or she is watching. I think here that is equivalent.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yes, he’s dropped all the way from 0.85 PPG to 0.8 PPG. His defense has never been his strength but it has improved as the season went on.

Hanilton is what he was: a streaky defenseman who is currently on a hot streak and doing his best to carry this team. He delivered the win tonight before the review.

for one, the team is much better this year so his stats should be inflated vs less.

His +- is not stellar and last time I checked top echelon defensemen play stellar D too.

Hedman/Jones controls games....not one of ours do and in a tight playoff game that can be a difference maker.

look, I had season tickets for many years when they moved to Raleigh, lived through the disappointment at the RBC versus Detroit and the pulsating excitement versus the Oilers (that game 7 is to this day my favorite attended game).

I just don’t see this team as a viable cup contender right now.

I mentioned GK (and for the comment above on Ward’s cup year stats you’re forgetting that he was phenomenal in the playoffs and we don’t win the cup without his play) as a weakness along with lacking a truly outstanding defenseman. We’re also lacking size that is very important in tight Playoff hockey (games are called differently too).

Also, typically, a team needs to go far/fail (ie Tampa bay, old oilers/isles etc) to understand what it takes to win a cup. Our team is so young I don’t think they understand that yet.

Anyway, I’m am a big fan of the team and have leveled expectations right now about how far they can go.

Enjoy the ride of watching this exciting team....

Reactions: hblueridgegal

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Wedding1.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
for one, the team is much better this year so his stats should be inflated vs less.

His +- is not stellar and last time I checked top echelon defensemen play stellar D too.

Hedman/Jones controls games....not one of ours do and in a tight playoff game that can be a difference maker.

look, I had season tickets for many years when they moved to Raleigh, lived through the disappointment at the RBC versus Detroit and the pulsating excitement versus the Oilers (that game 7 is to this day my favorite attended game).

I mentioned GK (and for the comment above on Ward’s cup year stats you’re forgetting that he was phenomenal in the playoffs and we don’t win the cup without his play) as a weakness along with lacking a truly outstanding defenseman. We’re also lacking size that is very important in tight Playoff hockey (games are called differently too).

Also, typically, a team needs to go far/fail (ie Tampa bay, old oilers/isles etc) to understand what it takes to win a cup. Our team is so young I don’t think they understand that yet.

Anyway, I’m am a big fan of the team and have leveled expectations right now about how far they can go.

It's inconsistent that you would place a premium on Dougie's declining +/- as an example of his defensive decline while saying that he can't control a game like Seth Jones. You should realize that Seth Jones is posting the worst +/- decline of his career this year and his inclusion as a top-tier D is far from a sure thing. Neither Dougie or Jones are remotely close to Hedman who is in a tier of his own for two-way play.

Being upset that Dougie isn't more like Hedman is like being upset that Nedeljkovic isn't more like Vasilevski. You can set the bar that high if you want but those are tiers of one.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It's inconsistent that you would place a premium on Dougie's declining +/- as an example of his defensive decline while saying that he can't control a game like Seth Jones. You should realize that Seth Jones is posting the worst +/- decline of his career this year and his inclusion as a top-tier D is far from a sure thing. Neither Dougie or Jones are remotely close to Hedman who is in a tier of his own for two-way play.

Being upset that Dougie isn't more like Hedman is like being upset that Nedeljkovic isn't more like Vasilevski. You can set the bar that high if you want but those are tiers of one.

And +/- is as much a reflection of your teammates as you, so if any stat should be inflated by the improved team it should be +/-, but it isn't.

Hamilton has changed his play this year, whether because his shot has struggled to get through or because he has more net front presence to work with (Trocheck and Fast in particular). As a result, he already has 3 more PP assists than he had all of last season. His goal scoring is down but his shot % should come back, provided his teammates can stay on side.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

So who was our game changing defenseman the year we actually won the Stanley Cup? Bret Hedican? Nic Wallin? Or maybe a 50 year old Glen Wesley?

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but teams can win the Cup all different kinds of ways. And to judge this team as incapable of contending for a Cup after going 8-1-2 in its past 11, a good chunk of that without 2 of their top six, and to cite their weakness at defenseman as the cause, of all reasons... I don't get it.

It's a long season, but even in this mini slump, this is a top five team. And that's not Canes-colored glasses; that's looking at goal differential alone.

And remember that mighty Tampa, with their GAME CHANGING DEFENSEMAN, got swept in the first round two years ago, when they had just won the President's Cup, by the exceptionally irritating team that beat us last night.

This team is most likely not going to win a Cup. But it's not because they can't, or because they don't have a Magical GCD. It's because it's f***ing hard to win 16 playoff games no matter how good you are, and the Canes chances are as good as any and better than most.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
As many have noted before, +/- is a bad stat because it can be heavily affected by ENG situations. As a tangent:

Playing with Empty Net Goals ScoredGoals AllowedDiff
2019-2016-5
2020-2116-5
Playing against an Empty Net
2019-20142+12
2020-21770
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hamilton probably wasn't on the ice for all those +12 but I'd guess he was out there a lot. Canes are getting killed this year with the extra man on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad