GDT: CLB/CAR Part 2: The Anti-Jinx Crusade Continues On

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't think it's panicking to say it would be nice to have a goalie who is even remotely capable of stealing a game. None of Reimer, Ned, or even Mrazek is that kind of guy.

And it's not like this is a new development this year. Goalie has been our biggest area of weakness since Waddell took over. We are a contending team with the goalie duo you'd expect from a lottery team.

Total hyperbole.

Clearly, the goaltending situation is not ideal and going by the rumors, they have tried to address it. It's not as simple as as just wanting to do something at that particular position, however. I have no doubt in my mind that you would have hated Markstrom at what it would have cost to get him to sign.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Not exactly like real life situations...you're opting in for it. Easy to walk away or pick another team.
Not as easy as all that, actually. It's like anything else: the more you invest in it, the more you feel that walking away from it would mean that you'd wasted all that emotional effort. Whether it's a relationship or a job or a stupid hockey team.

Things in life have meaning because we ascribe meaning to them. That's what makes fandom so... weird.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This is not a tonight reaction but my view RE: the team.

As presently constituted, this team is not a likely cup winner.

Goaltending wins you Stanley Cups....ours will not (Cam was lights out the year we won).

Quite often it’s the grinders that win big playoff games when the skill guys are shut down...ours are not capable.

We are also missing that dominant defenseman that wins you games. ie. Seth Jones last two nights & Tampa’s big two. Ours are very good but not there.

We have a thoroughly entertaining regular season team that I really enjoy watching but......having followed/watched/attended hockey games for 50 years Canes are not Stanley Cup material. Tampa, Isles ( less so after losing their C to major injury), Vegas and Colorado are my top four. Toronto may be too if they shore up at trading deadline.

If you’re Waddell, do you give away future assets now or hold em for future years?

Reactions: Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Goaltending wins you Stanley Cups....ours will not (Cam was lights out the year we won).

Quite often it’s the grinders that win big playoff games when the skill guys are shut down...ours are not capable.

We are also missing that dominant defenseman that wins you games. ie. Seth Jones last two nights & Tampa’s big two. Ours are very good but not there.

We have a thoroughly entertaining regular season team that I really enjoy watching but......having followed/watched/attended hockey games for 50 years Canes are not Stanley Cup material. Tampa, Isles ( less so after losing their C to major injury), Vegas and Colorado are my top four. Toronto may be too if they shore up at trading deadline.

If you’re Waddell, do you give away future assets now or hold em for future years?
Honestly, the isles are a quintessential regular season team. If Isles are seen as favorites, the only thing holding us back is having our 1RW and 2C out.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Honestly, the isles are a quintessential regular season team. If Isles are seen as favorites, the only thing holding us back is having our 1RW and 2C out.

they have 4 good lines including a fantastic 4th line, very capable goal tending and a playoff style team. Losing their Captain though is a big blow.

Last two nights games are much more indicative of playoff hockey Versus free wheeling Style we like to operate in.

Reactions: Daeavorn and jstaal

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So, I couldn’t watch this game because I had one to play. When I got out, I checked my phone and I swear to god the Athletic had sent a notification that said “Hurricanes beat Blue Jackets 3-2 in OT”.

So imagine my feelings when I got home just now and went to check the highlights of our big OT win.

Little Texas has a song about what might have been tonight

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
they have 4 good lines including a fantastic 4th line, very capable goal tending and a playoff style team. Losing their Captain though is a big blow.

Last two nights games are much more indicative of playoff hockey Versus free wheeling Style we like to operate in.
Im not saying they aren’t a good team cuz they are.

Varlamov is overachieving right now and I expect him to come back down eventually. They have 2 scorers with 20 points including a wildly high scoring Leddy. In comparison, the Hurricanes have 7. Islanders don’t have enough fire power to be a contender.

Reactions: Stickpucker

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Must admit, I have never seen a fandom quite like this one..is it an inferiority complex or something..so hard on the players with the bashing but then take so much glory in the wins.
I’ve seen fans of dynasties say the same thing. UNC fans, Duke fans, Patriot fans...they all have members of the fan base that do the same thing.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Look if you stuck around for the dark years then you're pretty much attached to this team for life. You'll never break away from it.

We stuck around through the 10-year-drought for the right to bitch and moan about nights like tonight. Because the bitching and moaning comes from a place of love. We care about the team and know they can play better.

A world of difference from the drought times, where it was less bitching and more joking, because dark humor was the only way to cope with the mire the organization had found itself in.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Im not saying they aren’t a good team cuz they are.

Varlamov is overachieving right now and I expect him to come back down eventually. They have 2 scorers with 20 points including a wildly high scoring Leddy. In comparison, the Hurricanes have 7. Islanders don’t have enough fire power to be a contender.

perhaps but their style is so different than the Canes and thus goal scoring comps are not appropriate. Using College Bb as a comparison it’s UVA’s Bennett slower d oriented approach versus UNC/Duke’s.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

We are missing that dominant defenseman that wins you games?

Dougie Hamilton literally won us this game, except that Svech was offside.

Sorry, I don't care how long you've been watching hockey games. This take is bad.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Look if you stuck around for the dark years then you're pretty much attached to this team for life. You'll never break away from it.
Yeah, I was originally born in the South then moved to the midwest/Michigan and became a Wings fan at first mostly because of playing my first hockey games in Michigan and being a Sergei Fedorov fan. But I eventually moved back south and became a Canes fan around 2000 and suffered through the 2002 Cup finals. The 2005-06 Canes were like a coming of age experience once they happened. I literally ditched my best's friend 18th birthday party to watch the Cup clinching game and I haven't ever regretted it.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I’ve seen fans of dynasties say the same thing. UNC fans, Duke fans, Patriot fans...they all have members of the fan base that do the same thing.

That's very true. Seeing the reactions and freak outs throughout the web after every loss is a bit eye opening when things are relatively good. Constructive criticism is one thing but the nasty bashing and degrading the team and players is a bit much to me. What does it accomplish except give our fanbase a bad rep? Some of our players are on some of these platforms and forums taking it all in as well.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's very true. Seeing the reactions and freak outs throughout the web after every loss is a bit eye opening when things are relatively good. Constructive criticism is one thing but the nasty bashing and degrading the team and players is a bit much to me. What does it accomplish except give our fanbase a bad rep? Some of our players are on some of these platforms and forums taking it all in as well.

Reimer played in Toronto. Nothing we say here compares to that pressure cooker.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah, I was originally born in the South then moved to the midwest/Michigan and became a Wings fan at first mostly because of playing my first hockey games in Michigan and being a Sergei Fedorov fan. But I eventually moved back south and became a Canes fan around 2000 and suffered through the 2002 Cup finals. The 2005-06 Canes were like a coming of age experience once they happened. I literally ditched my best's friend 18th birthday party to watch the Cup clinching game and I haven't ever regretted it.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, to make a long story short the Canes are the only team to reward me. I was too young to understand the Cowboys (was a fan before the Panthers) 90's Super Bowls wins, and the Braves 1995 World Series I was 7 and similar to the 'Boys, I remember it but I was also too young to really appreciate the title.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad