This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wedding1.jpg

"Oh honey I'm hang-gliding take a good picture I'm dead!"

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don't think it's panicking to say it would be nice to have a goalie who is even remotely capable of stealing a game. None of Reimer, Ned, or even Mrazek is that kind of guy.

And it's not like this is a new development this year. Goalie has been our biggest area of weakness since Waddell took over. We are a contending team with the goalie duo you'd expect from a lottery team.

Mrazek is definitely capable of stealing games and playing at an elite level. He was the main reason down the stretch that we made the playoffs in 2018-19; in the second half of the season that year he went on an insane run, I think he may have been the best goalie in the league from like February on, or maybe Binnington, but he was up there. The issue has been consistency as he has a stretch like that and then struggles in the playoffs and can have a bunch of just terrible games.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
As many have noted before, +/- is a bad stat because it can be heavily affected by ENG situations. As a tangent:

Playing with Empty Net Goals ScoredGoals AllowedDiff
2019-2016-5
2020-2116-5
Playing against an Empty Net
2019-20142+12
2020-21770
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hamilton probably wasn't on the ice for all those +12 but I'd guess he was out there a lot. Canes are getting killed this year with the extra man on the ice.

We've actually already allowed 7 goals when the other team has their goalie pulled? That's absolutely brutal. Rod needs to work on that as that's definitely a legit concern so far this year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
We've actually already allowed 7 goals when the other team has their goalie pulled? That's absolutely brutal. Rod needs to work on that as that's definitely a legit concern so far this year.

https://morehockeystats.com/teams/en

I haven't verified. By my shoddy memory there have been approximately too many. 7 is a lot. Seems like they may have given up a couple goals against an empty net while up by 2 - which wouldn't have gone to OT.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
https://morehockeystats.com/teams/en

I haven't verified. By my shoddy memory there have been approximately too many. 7 is a lot. Seems like they may have given up a couple goals against an empty net while up by 2 - which wouldn't have gone to OT.

I believe it, maybe like half of those were while up by 2 or more which were games we still won, but definitely has been an issue, especially compared to last year where we only allowed 2 all season...

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Maybe it's just me, but the eye test tells me they aren't good at clearing the puck out. It's frustrating as hell to watch.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Controlled exits (and entry) are the specialty of our defense. We've definitely struggled with that lately. I think once we get healthy and add some reinforcements, we'll be fine.

What?!? Our team is one the leading teams in the league in the dump and chase method of entries. Peters likes controlled zone entries, but when Rod took over, that changed.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
What?!? Our team is one the leading teams in the league in the dump and chase method of entries. Peters likes controlled zone entries, but when Rod took over, that changed.
In the last few years we've been the best in the league or close to it at denying opposing entries, I think that's what he meant.

Reactions: Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad