Clayton Keller

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You mean long term?I don't see him higher than around 60 points personally. He's kind of one dimensional but thats just my opinion
If he plays with Matthews I could see him approaching ppg territory, at least during a peak year. Matthews finishing with marner's playmaking is scary.

Back on Keller, I can't believe how good he's been. I wasn't even certain he'd make the team until the last few preseason games. He's better each game, and is really the driving force behind our 1st line. He's also not bad at face offs, I wonder if we see him at center soon. I still think it may not work because of his size, but he's pretty crafty with his stick and very smart, so it wouldn't totally shock me if he was a good center. Best case scenario is strome still turns into a top 6 C and Keller can stay on the wing, but I'm just saying I'm not totally writing him off at c like I was prior to this season.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If he plays with Matthews I could see him approaching ppg territory, at least during a peak year. Matthews finishing with marner's playmaking is scary.

Back on Keller, I can't believe how good he's been. I wasn't even certain he'd make the team until the last few preseason games. He's better each game, and is really the driving force behind our 1st line. He's also not bad at face offs, I wonder if we see him at center soon. I still think it may not work because of his size, but he's pretty crafty with his stick and very smart, so it wouldn't totally shock me if he was a good center. Best case scenario is strome still turns into a top 6 C and Keller can stay on the wing, but I'm just saying I'm not totally writing him off at c like I was prior to this season.
I think you'd neuter him if you put him as a centre. Also, I don't see strome as a top 6 player.
As far as Marner goes...It IS possible but i'm being more cautious in my assessment. He's in the dog house right now and doesn't seem overly confident. His true role will come out when guys like Bozak and JVR are gone. I don't see a situation where he plays with matthews because matthews lights it up with nylander and Hyman is the dog that goes to fetch for them.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think you'd neuter him if you put him as a centre. Also, I don't see strome as a top 6 player.
As far as Marner goes...It IS possible but i'm being more cautious in my assessment. He's in the dog house right now and doesn't seem overly confident. His true role will come out when guys like Bozak and JVR are gone. I don't see a situation where he plays with matthews because matthews lights it up with nylander and Hyman is the dog that goes to fetch for them.
Keller at center would force him to be a little less aggressive in the forecheck, but I don't see how it would hurt him otherwise. It's probably still for the best that he stays at wing though.

It's too early to call for Strome still, but it's getting closer to sink or swim time. I liked his game for what little time he was up though.

Ah, yeah if marner never plays much with Matthews that could hurt his points unless they get another great finisher to play with him.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
Keller's production seems to have slowed quite a bit with only 3 points in his last 10. I haven't been able to watch much lately, what are your thoughts and observations on this?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Keller's production seems to have slowed quite a bit with only 3 points in his last 10. I haven't been able to watch much lately, what are your thoughts and observations on this?

I commented elsewhere on this, but it is mainly because teams better defend against him now that they know he is one of our major offensive contributors. Of course, I'm hoping this will help others more than it has, but it may take a while.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I commented elsewhere on this, but it is mainly because teams better defend against him now that they know he is one of our major offensive contributors. Of course, I'm hoping this will help others more than it has, but it may take a while.

Agree with what Ebb said. The target on him led to him pushing himself a bit too hard. He was beginning to come off the ice from a shift a lot and slamming his stick in frustration. So Tocchet dropped him down to play with Richardson and give him a bit of a breather. He still gets plenty of PP minutes and getting pushed up lines in some situations.

I fully expect him back up in the top six regularly before too long.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is about the time when college trained players take a bit of a pause. Keller has never exerted himself like this. He's played more games in 2 months than he has ever played before. I expect that he will be fine in a week or two.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Any projections on what this guy will do next year? Is 25g, 70pts a possibility?
He might get his learners permit, as long as his grades hold up. (stupid joke about how young he looks)

That 25 goals 45 assists is possible, it wouldn't be much of a jump from last year. He'll be the focus of opposing defenses though, so he may have a harder time scoring.

I also think he needs a better winger than Panik to play with before we see his full point producing potential. Stepan and Domi were historically bad finishers early in the season, if either of them could finish he probably would have hit 70 points last year. Stepan hopefully is more consistent this season, but I worry Panik will hold him back. I'd like to see what he and Stepan could with Galchenyuk on the right wing. With a finisher Keller's assist totals could skyrocket.

Reactions: Murf and AZviaNJ

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
How good is Clayton keller Yotes fans?

Does he rank ahead or behind Chychrun in top prospects for the yotes.

50-50 of thus youngster but Keller avaible running top 5 of the points league!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad