Clayton Keller

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The concept was stolen from a tweet I saw two days ago. The idea that he looks like Arya. He does. I just didn't want to act like I noticed it without help.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I didn't post a picture. If you've seen the show, you know it's true.

Yeah I've seen the show and read the books. I thought you had a pic with them side by side or something. Maybe we needs a GDT with Coyotes players as Game of Thrones characters.

Strome can be Ned Stark. Gets his head whacked off in the first season.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm amused at how he scores different types of goals. Good shot on the 2nd goal, going for garbage on the first. Its a good sign.

Reactions: doaner

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know what Keller's ceiling might be. I doubt that any of us non-professionals have a clue. I do worry that Keller is a bit light in the ass to be a center, but who knows?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't know what Keller's ceiling might be. I doubt that any of us non-professionals have a clue. I do worry that Keller is a bit light in the ass to be a center, but who knows?
From his play, I could see him being a 50-60 point player

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
From his play, I could see him being a 50-60 point player

I'd be surprised if he's not in that range this season. At his peak, he can be a point-per-game guy. He's dangerous from everywhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As impressed as I've been I'm struggling to picture 60pt rookie season and point per game peak. Maybe being a Coyotes fan for so long has ruined me but just just can't imagine us having a player that good.

Reactions: CC96

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
As impressed as I've been I'm struggling to picture 60pt rookie season and point per game peak. Maybe being a Coyotes fan for so long has ruined me but just just can't imagine us having a player that good.

Domi played 16 minutes a game as a rookie. He had 230 minutes of powerplay time. At 5 on 5, his usual centers were Hanzal and Vermette and his usual wings were Boedker and Duclair. He finished the year with 52 points in 81 games.

Keller is averaging 20 minutes a night through four games. He is getting 3:39 of powerplay time per night, putting him on pace for 296 minutes in 81 games. At 5 on 5, he has been playing with Domi and Stepan.

Breaking the 60-point mark would require Keller to outproduce Domi's rookie campaign by about 15 percent. So far, he is getting 25 percent more ice time, 30 percent more powerplay time, and has better linemates. If you think he's exactly as good as Domi was as a rookie, it's easy to see him breaking 60 points. I think he's better.

It is of course a long season, longer than any Keller has played in his life, and it remains to be seen whether he can maintain the performance he's shown in just four games. It would be stupid to project too much off just these games. But he has the talent to do it and Tocchet seems to be giving him the chance to do it. In all seriousness, the Coyotes have never had a rookie forward with this much offensive ability. I understand your caution, but I think you're going to be surprised.

Keep in mind also he only turned 19 in July. The numbers he put up in the NCAA last season are the numbers Johnny Gaudreau were putting up in college at this age. Two seasons later, Gaudreau put up 64 points for Calgary, and then he scored 78 points in 79 games the following year.

If Keller can put up 60 points as a teenager in the NHL, there's no reason to think he can't develop into an 80-point player at his peak.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No no... in three years.

This year closer to 50... Ongoing closer to 60
OK. Pretty low view of his potential. Unless you are inferring that his potential is limited by playing on a poor offensive team like the Coyotes?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
OK. Pretty low view of his potential. Unless you are inferring that his potential is limited by playing on a poor offensive team like the Coyotes?
A 60 point player is pretty damn good in this league. 70 and above belongs to elite players only. 50 points in year one would be great yes.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Fair enough.

What is your projection for Marner?
You mean long term?I don't see him higher than around 60 points personally. He's kind of one dimensional but thats just my opinion

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
More than fair then. Thanks. Key for both is going to be quality of team and quality of linemates. Marner has a huge advantage in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad