Claude: "Life Goes On."

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Clode should get a stab at next year anyway. Bad and inexperienced right wingers and a weak defense is hard to overcome no matter what coach.

I want to see how Claude coaches a Bruins team who, if the President stands by his statements, will play a more physical and hard style next year, I think he`d be perfectly fine.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The main reason I want to see Claude back 1 more year at least is giving him a chance to play with the newish roster from camp.

Gone will be Soupy and Paille, possibly Soderberg and Quader. The new team is going to be younger and faster, and will get to gel in camp and the preseason. I think the roles will be much more clearly defined and we'll see way less musical chairs in the lineups barring injuries again. That matters a lot for a team.

If you look at the Sens run, that locker room was TIGHT. When you look at our cup team, it was the same. Our guys just need more games together, more games with the same lines, and a fresh start with no pressure. Then they'll learn to fight for each other and the coach I think.

I'm up for 1 more year, and with another playoff miss you can fire him comfortably. I don't think that's too reactionary (I thought Chia firing was too reactionary).

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The main reason I want to see Claude back 1 more year at least is giving him a chance to play with the newish roster from camp.

Gone will be Soupy and Paille, possibly Soderberg and Quader. The new team is going to be younger and faster, and will get to gel in camp and the preseason. I think the roles will be much more clearly defined and we'll see way less musical chairs in the lineups barring injuries again. That matters a lot for a team.

If you look at the Sens run, that locker room was TIGHT. When you look at our cup team, it was the same. Our guys just need more games together, more games with the same lines, and a fresh start with no pressure. Then they'll learn to fight for each other and the coach I think.

I'm up for 1 more year, and with another playoff miss you can fire him comfortably. I don't think that's too reactionary (I thought Chia firing was too reactionary).

Also agree.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
RedEyeRockteer and GordonHowe and anyone who thinks Chia should
have been given another chance:

What piece of work, trades, ufa's, anything, has Chia done in the
last 4 years that you think has made the team significantly better ?

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
I want to see how Claude coaches a Bruins team who, if the President stands by his statements, will play a more physical and hard style next year, I think he`d be perfectly fine.

Based on seasons past, I agree, he will been fine.
.....I still maintain that 96 points with the B's roster and injuries this year was actually overacheiving. We should be praising CJ. ....I don't understand why most fans here expected so much more than what we got.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I'm on the iPad so I'll let someone else do the heavy lifting. Off the top of my head: bringing in Seidenberg, Horton, Kelly, Peverley, Ferrence, Boychuck, Krug, Rex; dismissing Dave Lewis & hiring Claude Julien; signing off on Pastrnak; locking up the core players for less than free agency dollars; creating a winning, player friendly culture that attracts free agents, the direct opposite of the prior regime.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I'm on the iPad so I'll let someone else do the heavy lifting. Off the top of my head: bringing in Seidenberg, Horton, Kelly, Peverley, Ferrence, Boychuck, Krug, Rex; dismissing Dave Lewis & hiring Claude Julien; signing off on Pastrnak; locking up the core players for less than free agency dollars; creating a winning, player friendly culture that attracts free agents, the direct opposite of the prior regime.

Other than Pastrnak, I believe everything else was older than 4 years.
Thus my point being that Chia really hasn't done much of anything to
improve the team the last 4 years.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Other than Pastrnak, I believe everything else was older than 4 years.
Thus my point being that Chia really hasn't done much of anything to
improve the team the last 4 years.

Didn't realize that was your criteria. Every GM makes mistakes. PC made his share, especially relative to poor drafting & cap issues post Cup success. He's still an excellent GM, and were I an EDM fan, I would be thrilled to have him. I can almost guarantee the Oil will be an elite team, sooner rather than later.

Said again: Cam & Jacobs Jr. better know what they are doing going forward on a host of fronts. They can't hide behind Peter Chiarelli - or Claude Julien - anymore. If they eff up big time, or even here & there, they're not going to have a convenient scapegoat. It's totally on them now. "You're in charge. My condolences."

I'm open, but very skeptical.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I agree that every GM makes mistakes, but if you look at Chia's last 4 years
here, that is pretty much all he did here, was make mistakes.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

He's coached over 100 players so far in Boston. How many roster turnovers will it take until some people realize that he does not adapt ? If anything, Krejci, Eriksson, Spooner, Lucic deserve to play in a system that is not soft, passive and defense-first.

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio

Signing Krug. Drafting Pastrnak. NOT keeping Peverley and Horton.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014

As far as impact moves, this is basically it.

Chia deserves A LOT of credit for bringing us the cup though. He may not have drafted most of the core guys, but he basically built our championship defence from scratch, hired the right coach(at the time), brought in the right mix of depth guys, secondary scoring, and character guys, and he gave the team an identity.

Those 2007-2011 moves were solid enough to continue to bare fruit through 2012-2014 in terms of regular season consistency, and some playoff success(2013), but it finally caught up to the team this season. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Horton walked on his own. Chia absolutely intended to keep him. And if not for Peverley's freak heart condition he'd be a better NHL player than Kelly right now so you could argue that between those 2 Chia made the wrong choice. Krug and Pasta are his only 2 smart moves in 4 years. Kind of proves the point, no?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Horton walked on his own. Chia absolutely intended to keep him. And if not for Peverley's freak heart condition he'd be a better NHL player than Kelly right now so you could argue that between those 2 Chia made the wrong choice. Krug and Pasta are his only 2 smart moves in 4 years. Kind of proves the point, no?

Thats what I was trying to point out.
He did a fantastic job his first few years here, and not so much the last.
It might all boil down to keeping his vets longer than he should have, and
maybe he has learned. Maybe if he doesn't get so attached to players, he
won't have such a hard time with trades. I'm sure he liked all the old vets on
the team and really didnt' want to trade them, thus trades are so hard.
Wish him well and thanks for bringing the cup here.

Bruinsfan98

May 25, 2011
my 2c

Sweeney brings clode back on a short leash. If things continue to slide Sweeney can bring in a new coach and blame clode. Self-preservation like any job.

Cam and Jacobs must also still support Clode otherwise they would have canned him at the same time as Chia

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I see the game changing quickly in the NHL, a lot of younge players are making a difference earlier with realativly small frames but great speed. Clodes style of coaching doesn't adhere to this style he may incorporate it but does not fully embrace it on a nightly basis. I think Cam views Clode the same way that's why I think he was disheartened by the season.
I hold stronge on belief that Chia was the wrong one dismissed. Clode was good but he doesn't adapt quickly enough. We had a good enough team this year to make the playoffs but for some reason guys like Cambell played huge minutes and over there head when there were other players who would have faired better in those situations. Our call ups didn't even get the ice time to better themselves for next year. I feel the game is starting to leave him behind.
If we don't have a fresh start on the ice and heavily incorporate youth and give them the minutes it leads to less points and cap hell.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He's coached over 100 players so far in Boston. How many roster turnovers will it take until some people realize that he does not adapt ? If anything, Krejci, Eriksson, Spooner, Lucic deserve to play in a system that is not soft, passive and defense-first.

The system is soft and passive?

Were the Bruins soft and passive when they won the Cup? Or when they went to the finals or when they won the President's trophy? Same system, correct?

And what's wrong with defense first? Seems that's what the vast majority of NHL teams play. Not to mention the Bruins were 2nd in the league in scoring in 2012 and 3rd in 2014 with that defense first system.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
In my opinion, there's no short leash. We're about to do a mini-rebuild, you either decide on whether Claude is going to be this team's coach for the next ~5 years or not.

If you're going to put him on a "short leash", get rid of him. Because if it doesn't work out, that's a wasted year. Obviously, if it doesn't work out, he's gone either way... But Claude is a very good coach. If they want him to be the coach for the foreseeable future, he definitely can be. But if they think Claude's style no longer fits this team, which is an actual concern, then get rid of him now.

I think Claude will be back. I'm partial to either side. Getting rid of a proven, Stanley Cup winning coach and replacing him with someone who is likely young and inexperienced is so insanely hit or miss. He could become the best coach this franchise has ever seen, or he could be Dallas Eakins. But I also question how Claude's mindset fits this team... and how long he's going to try to milk it out of this group.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
In my opinion, there's no short leash. We're about to do a mini-rebuild, you either decide on whether Claude is going to be this team's coach for the next ~5 years or not.

If you're going to put him on a "short leash", get rid of him. Because if it doesn't work out, that's a wasted year. Obviously, if it doesn't work out, he's gone either way... But Claude is a very good coach. If they want him to be the coach for the foreseeable future, he definitely can be. But if they think Claude's style no longer fits this team, which is an actual concern, then get rid of him now.

I think Claude will be back. I'm partial to either side. Getting rid of a proven, Stanley Cup winning coach and replacing him with someone who is likely young and inexperienced is so insanely hit or miss. He could become the best coach this franchise has ever seen, or he could be Dallas Eakins. But I also question how Claude's mindset fits this team... and how long he's going to try to milk it out of this group.

That's part of my issue with Claude as well. There's a reason coaching tenures aren't long in the NHL, it becomes extremely difficult to sell your message to a lockeroom especially if your not winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad