Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I meant... That I thought about what you guys were saying, spent 5-10 minutes typing my response and pressed reply only to find that my connection had evaporated ... And that's why I wasted time.
Nothing to do with anything y'all were saying.
Damn future machines ... And tone.
Now I want to remember what I wrote but the few brain cells are trying to count a jar full of jelly beans.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
I want something to sink in for just a moment, If Julien coaches this team next year, he will become the winningest coach in Bruins history. He's 15 wins away from tying Art Ross.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/coaches.html

Seriously people wanting to get rid of Clode seems not to have their full faculities. I mean this is a winner who has brought the Bruins the cup and advanced to the final in another season. that's freaking dominant. And we won't get anyone better either.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He can't? Oh **** then I guess the only other option after a big goal is our worst line.

Sorry, just felt like you responded with a false premise. Literally any other line after a big goal would be better. Try to score another one, not put the line most likely to give momentum back.

Literally any other line would be better at any time. But they still need to play.

I think that was the b in Vancouver's point.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Literally any other line would be better at any time. But they still need to play.

I think that was the b in Vancouver's point.

So they can't play at any other point? Is that the argument? That in that very specific instance it is good strategically to use them right there?

You can make that argument then for any point in the game. Are you arguing that? That you can use them at any time? In any context?

Or is the more adult conversation to discuss the pros and cons of specific moments?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
So they can't play at any other point? Is that the argument? That in that very specific instance it is good strategically to use them right there?

You can make that argument then for any point in the game. Are you arguing that? That you can use them at any time? In any context?

Or is the more adult conversation to discuss the pros and cons of specific moments?

To this point- I think that's as good a time as any to put them out there. Without Blake Wheeler in the line up there's only so many off side face offs which is ideally when you'd put your 4th line out there and I want them eating as many minutes as possible during the regular season to help with the wear and tear of top players. Teams that rely too heavily on their top 2 lines tend to burn out. It's tough. Don't want them out there in the O or D zone in a one goal game, don't want them out there after a goal against, or goal scored, or... When do you put them on?
Shift to shift I'd rather see Bergeron but throughout the course of a season, despite how much it might annoy me at the time, I want to see Campbell and paille getting as much time as possible.
Counter-intuitive, but I think Julien, despite the record, has done a better job coaching this year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

There was a stretch when the Bruins would score rapid back-to-back goals, a real dagger to the opponents. That dried up and there was a shorter run of scoring and then giving back the goal on the next shift. I believe that's when the 4th line after a goal started for Clode. Error on the side of caution? Yeah, that's Julien. And it will probably stay that way until the 4th line gives up a couple in that spot.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

P.s. I think the 'more adult' (Im not trying to sound like a dick - but probably am) conversation isn't the 'pros and cons of specific moments' but the longer view. Kids think in the 'right here right now' way while grown-ups need both situational awareness and long term plans.
I hope Julien doesn't fall into the shift-to-shift reactionary motif that has buried many promising coaches.
Play offs is when to care about that.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There was a stretch when the Bruins would score rapid back-to-back goals, a real dagger to the opponents. That dried up and there was a shorter run of scoring and then giving back the goal on the next shift. I believe that's when the 4th line after a goal started for Clode. Error on the side of caution? Yeah, that's Julien. And it will probably stay that way until the 4th line gives up a couple in that spot.

But the 4th line DOES give up goals and momentum in that role. Perhaps 5% of the time have they actually built on our momentum or created any. It's Claude's worst fault along with late game/OT personnel management. Otherwise he is one of the best in the business.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
But the 4th line DOES give up goals and momentum in that role. Perhaps 5% of the time have they actually built on our momentum or created any. It's Claude's worst fault along with late game/OT personnel management. Otherwise he is one of the best in the business.

Surprised you mentioned OT personnel - as he's one of very few coaches out there who goes for the win in OT and not just use it as a prelude to the skills/luck competition.
I can understand the 4th line argument, kids, not being great at motivation, etc. but as far as OT goes, he's one of, if not the best, in the business.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Surprised you mentioned OT personnel - as he's one of very few coaches out there who goes for the win in OT and not just use it as a prelude to the skills/luck competition.
I can understand the 4th line argument, kids, not being great at motivation, etc. but as far as OT goes, he's one of, if not the best, in the business.

Why not go for it in regular time?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I get that - for sure. Just PBF mentioned OT as one of his biggest faults - which surprised me.

Don't get me wrong, the 70% of the time when he rolls 3 forwards and 1 D, or that recent 3 on 3... love it. Earlier in the year he was cycling out Kelly, Cunningham, Campbell, Paille, Trotman etc which irked me considerably. While he may have moved on from that it has stuck in my mind ever since.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
BIV. They should only be playing at most 10 minutes a game. After 2-3 minutes of that on comes on the PK it shouldn't behard to avoid the 1-2-3 times after a goal.

And even then, I am talking about big goals in big moments. If they score to go up 3-0 in the third, fine, whatever, send them out.

But he does it in big moments, like I cited in my original example, and that's inexcusable. It shouldn't be that hard to find the 7 or 8 5-5 shifts in other spots in the game.

Nothing can be as deflating as your goalie giving up a bad goal. So does he go for the jugular in that spot? No, he does the number 1 thing the opponent hopes he does, and puts his worse line on the ice.

He did this in 2011, and I hated it then, but at least that was a good 4th line. But doing it now, when that line has been a nightmare? Nope, no defending it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I get that frustration. Trust me, During the game, it drives me demented at times. Afterwards though, or a month later, or whatever, I think it's best for the team long term and season wise. Sure, he'll make what we consider mistakes, but with that many shifts throughout the year it's bound to happen. It's more the philosophy I agree with.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
BIV. They should only be playing at most 10 minutes a game. After 2-3 minutes of that on comes on the PK it shouldn't behard to avoid the 1-2-3 times after a goal.

And even then, I am talking about big goals in big moments. If they score to go up 3-0 in the third, fine, whatever, send them out.

But he does it in big moments, like I cited in my original example, and that's inexcusable. It shouldn't be that hard to find the 7 or 8 5-5 shifts in other spots in the game.

Nothing can be as deflating as your goalie giving up a bad goal. So does he go for the jugular in that spot? No, he does the number 1 thing the opponent hopes he does, and puts his worse line on the ice.

He did this in 2011, and I hated it then, but at least that was a good 4th line. But doing it now, when that line has been a nightmare? Nope, no defending it.

Clearly, Clode seems to have a "love affair" with the 4th line. As you said, this line is not THAT good anymore so there's no point to send them out when your team has just been scored on. Overall, it's tough to argue with the numbers. Claude's been very successful and he can develop young players.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Clearly, Clode seems to have a "love affair" with the 4th line. As you said, this line is not THAT good anymore so there's no point to send them out when your team has just been scored on. Overall, it's tough to argue with the numbers. Claude's been very successful and he can develop young players.

Not "that" good anymore?

They're horrible. A total defensive and offensive liability.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Again tonight , put 4th line with 3 minutes, yes this coach is a legend ! A good coach would have 75-100 more wins with this team during clode time with bruins.
Playoffs coming and clode will put 4th line on ice when they need a goal and will break spooner line and campbell will continue to get 15 minutes by games

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Can someone explain to me why Patrice Bergeron averages less time of ice than Loui Eriksson?

And why he only averages 17:56 per game?

I genuinely can't figure either of those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad