Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I thought we could use a thread on Julien. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm tired of going into a thread about Pastrnak or Trade Talk and seeing a two-page discussion about Julien... and no trade talk! I'm as guilty as anyone, but hopefully a thread on him and him alone will allow those other threads to be more about their actual topics.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't wait till Ryan Spooner to get traded and look like Johnny Gudreau II

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I'm questioning him more this season than I ever have in years' past.

That said, I'm still happy about his extension in Boston and believe he's a top coach in the league.

How's that for a general statement?

He still frustrates the hell out of me with his constant rolling of 4 line. When we hem a team in their own zone for 60+ seconds and they ice it and then he throws the 4th line out there :banghead:

That said. We'd be a lot worse off than we are right now if 90% of the other coaches in this league were handed the roster we had from opening day plus a quarter of the season without a healthy #1C and #1D.

I'm also happy he earned himself an extension. The person at the top of my SL currently is Chia with a close #2 being Cassidy.

BudMovin*

Can't wait till Ryan Spooner to get traded and look like Johnny Gudreau II

Wont happen. Clode already ruined him with his unnecessary trashing this preseason, combined with the fact that Spooner almost made the team as an 18 year old, yet he hasn't got much closer in the 4 years since. Now we are forcing him out of his comfort zone to play wing. Wasted opportunity.

Clode hates players who have the creativity to bring the puck into the zone and make a play. He'd rather you dump it in so Greg Campbell can go get it in the corner, down a goal in the last minute.

I liked Clode a few years ago (Who didn't). I am just sick and tired of skill guys getting stuck in the system. Good thing Fraser, Campbell and Gagne have spots over Koko, Spooner and Griffith. Dump and chase or else it gets the hose again. Anyone else excited for the monthly Caron call-up happening soon?

I have no beef how he treats the defensemen. D and G are developed and utilized correctly in his system.

BudMovin*

He still frustrates the hell out of me with his constant rolling of 4 line. When we hem a team in their own zone for 60+ seconds and they ice it and then he throws the 4th line out there :banghead:

That said. We'd be a lot worse off than we are right now if 90% of the other coaches in this league were handed the roster we had from opening day plus a quarter of the season without a healthy #1C and #1D.

I'm also happy he earned himself an extension. The person at the top of my SL currently is Chia with a close #2 being Cassidy.

I hate him. Classic "good old boys club" mentality. If he likes you, you can do no wrong. If he doesn't like you, you wont be given the opportunity to make right. Look at how Knight, who I think would be amazing on the 4th line with Paille and Cunningham is being treated.

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
As a fan, I'm not so presumptuous to think I can judge an old hockey guy like Claude. But Gregory "one-point-in-24-games" Campbell as the sixth attacker still has me scratching my head.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I thought we could use a thread on Julien. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm tired of going into a thread about Pastrnak or Trade Talk and seeing a two-page discussion about Julien... and no trade talk! I'm as guilty as anyone, but hopefully a thread on him and him alone will allow those other threads to be more about their actual topics.

It'll just turn into a Ryan Spooner thread

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Has had a horrible season. Started in the pre-season. Think if he hadn't just signed an extension the talk of being fired would be louder. Well, maybe not, since the media in this town is in the bag for him and the organization. (I am not including media members on this board. If I were I'd say it.)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
His shelf life is almost expired. Book is out on how to beat his team in a long series. Still think he's the best we had..still think we could be good with him a long time, but his style of play is not the best fit for our you g guys coming up ...maybe Chias drafts were so bad because we plug in square pegs into round holes ? Could see one more big run out of this team with the right addons

I don't know. Sometimes the devil you know is better.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
if this were football C J would make a great defensive coordinator, but he would never make a great head coach - how he would run the offense would leave a lot to be desired.
I do appreciate the discipline and organization that C J has brought to Boston but I really think in order for him to become a truly great coach he has to integrate a better offensive system making better use of all his players skills and talents

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
3T3W70O.jpg

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Looks like Pasta will be getting another shot after the tournament, looking forward to seeing how Claude uses him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wont happen. Clode already ruined him with his unnecessary trashing this preseason, combined with the fact that Spooner almost made the team as an 18 year old, yet he hasn't got much closer in the 4 years since. Now we are forcing him out of his comfort zone to play wing. Wasted opportunity.

Clode hates players who have the creativity to bring the puck into the zone and make a play. He'd rather you dump it in so Greg Campbell can go get it in the corner, down a goal in the last minute.

I liked Clode a few years ago (Who didn't). I am just sick and tired of skill guys getting stuck in the system. Good thing Fraser, Campbell and Gagne have spots over Koko, Spooner and Griffith. Dump and chase or else it gets the hose again. Anyone else excited for the monthly Caron call-up happening soon?

I have no beef how he treats the defensemen. D and G are developed and utilized correctly in his system.

Spooner (and his agent) were led to believe he was going to get a serious shot.

Campbell got the hernia - they could not deal him and once Boychuk was moved Campbell was still here and Clode went into discredit Spooner mode

1. Trash his defensive play after the Montreal exhibition opener Spooner scored in
2. Trash the competition after the Islanders exhibition final Spooner had 3 points including 2 goals
3. Invoke the coaches one weapon TOI in the October 15 game at Detroit benching him the final 47 minutes for whatever and sending a big **** you to the front office and signaling the end of Ryan Spooner
4. Claude then likely calls his guy Fluto to write a Sunday Globe column Spooner is a left wing and banished to Providence:laugh:

Spooner now is just biding his time waiting to be dealt. If I was him I'd say I am injured till April and get non tendered

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
As a fan, I'm not so presumptuous to think I can judge an old hockey guy like Claude. But Gregory "one-point-in-24-games" Campbell as the sixth attacker still has me scratching my head.

This is where im at too. Including the head scratching.

Has Claude lost his marbles? Or is he sending a demonstrable message upstairs for help?

Or is it a bit of both?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Great contribution RedEye, I hadn't thought of that. really makes you think.

Everestmikey da biggest hatarz in da worid LOL

Anyway, we can blame Claude for lots of things such as lineup selection etc, but the players also have to fall on Chiarelli. There has to be a lot of agreement between Chiarelli and Claude regarding the players, otherwise we would've heard something from management or Chiarelli would move a guy to force Claudes hand. or Chiarelli for constructing a terribly flawed lineup

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It'll just turn into a Ryan Spooner thread

I actually loved the Campbell move because it could have confused the opposition into thinking they were behind- or not taking the move serious and an uncovered Campbell scores.

The only person in NHL, Olympic, or International play to stop Jarimor Jagr is Claude Julien. Jagr 21 playoff games 0 goals. That is impressive

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've been a big fan of Claude in the past. Which isn't surprising since I'm a big fan of a strong defensive system. Stubborn as all hell but generally I agree with his calls.

Probably one of my biggest criticisms has been an inability to devise and put into action a gameplan to get this team through Montreal. I think Montreal has us figured out, I don't think we have them figured out and it's gettng more annoying as the games go by.

This year, I've been incredibly frustrated with him. I think his stubborness has been beyond and all of it made worse by what I perceive to be Chiarelli and Claude not on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad