Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
ZEROES
Boston’s fourth line – Despite starting at least half of their shifts in the offensive zone, Boston’s line of Daniel Paille, Max Talbot and Gregory Campbell was caved in against Ottawa. Paille was at the low end (1 shot attempt for, 20 against, 4.8%), but Talbot (3 for, 24 against, 11.1%) and Campbell (3 for, 21 against, 12.5%) weren’t doing much either.

From http://www.tsn.ca/bruins-spooner-filling-void-with-krejci-out-1.227882

But Talbot is playing so well ! Another great deadline move by Chiarelli for his buddy Claude.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The problem I have with Julien is that he shouldn't need people pointing something so obvious out. Like in the playoffs in 2011 when CJ wanted Thornton in the line-up over Seguin after Seguin proved he could put the puck in the net. I'm pretty sure that other people in the organization changed his mind but they shouldn't have had to.

Hmmm...it's tough for me to remember that exact situation in 2011. I remember Seguin WAS playing like **** and stormed back (for that one game) proving his worth. Thornton then re-entered the lineup when Horton got cheapshotted.

Thornton as a playoff regular in the year 2014 was the biggest joke of all, and I just KNEW that's what CJ was going to do. It's bad enough that he was banking on ST for a run last year; what was worse was he refused to adjust or try anyone else in his spot either leading into the playoffs or during the run itself when it clearly wasn't working out.

It's little things like that which really hold me back from loving CJ as a coach. I happen to love the fact that he stresses defense. I love the fact that it's all about three zone play for every player. But, his personnel moves and inability to adjust with any sort of urgency occur pretty frequently.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Can't wait until one of the famous apologists on the board wanders in here and throws out the:

"This place is ridiculous. You guys have to whine even when we're winning" line.

I criticized Claude for benching Spooner/Pasta in the main game thread, in favor of Talbot/fourth liners, and got attacked pretty personally.

If Talbot is an improvement, it's clear that Paille and Campbell are dragging him down, because that line is just plain horrible.

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I don't know whether that fourth line struggles with Campbell specifically or not.

But there is a night and day difference in performance with that unit when it has some size on the wing.

Night and day? Really? I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing it, MMB. They look exactly the same out there, with Talbot. No change. Still mostly hemmed in. Still zero offensive pressure.

And these stats/numbers back that up -- they are a complete and total liability. Talbot has not improved the performance of the line:

ZEROES
Boston’s fourth line – Despite starting at least half of their shifts in the offensive zone, Boston’s line of Daniel Paille, Max Talbot and Gregory Campbell was caved in against Ottawa. Paille was at the low end (1 shot attempt for, 20 against, 4.8%), but Talbot (3 for, 24 against, 11.1%) and Campbell (3 for, 21 against, 12.5%) weren’t doing much either.

From http://www.tsn.ca/bruins-spooner-filling-void-with-krejci-out-1.227882

Maybe he will eventually, but I'm not seeing it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Hmmm...it's tough for me to remember that exact situation in 2011. I remember Seguin WAS playing like **** and stormed back (for that one game) proving his worth. Thornton then re-entered the lineup when Horton got cheapshotted.

Thornton as a playoff regular in the year 2014 was the biggest joke of all, and I just KNEW that's what CJ was going to do. It's bad enough that he was banking on ST for a run last year; what was worse was he refused to adjust or try anyone else in his spot either leading into the playoffs or during the run itself when it clearly wasn't working out.

It's little things like that which really hold me back from loving CJ as a coach. I happen to love the fact that he stresses defense. I love the fact that it's all about three zone play for every player. But, his personnel moves and inability to adjust with any sort of urgency occur pretty frequently.

Actually, Seguin was benched in Game 3 for Thornton, so that move came before the cheapshot on Horton. Seguin then came back in to the series to take Pevs spot on the 3rd line, and Pevs moved up to the Krejci line to take Horton's spot.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Actually, Seguin was benched in Game 3 for Thornton, so that move came before the cheapshot on Horton. Seguin then came back in to the series to take Pevs spot on the 3rd line, and Pevs moved up to the Krejci line to take Horton's spot.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. I just didn't remember it happening.

I guess what I'm saying is Thornton was out for a period of time while Seguin was in the lineup until the Horton incident, despite the going-on's earlier in the playoffs.

The biggest reason I can remember this is because Thornton through an actually decent hit on Alex Burrows when he came back into the lineup in game 4 ("Thornton announces his presence" was the line from Doc, I believe).

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The biggest reason I can remember this is because Thornton through an actually decent hit on Alex Burrows when he came back into the lineup in game 4 ("Thornton announces his presence" was the line from Doc, I believe).

Thornton set the tone for the rest of the series with that hit. Up until then, the Nucks fake tough guys actually thought they were real tough guys.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
So, to add more to my feelings from earlier about this 4th line. You can have it two ways for a fourth line.

Muckers/Grinders/Energy/Physical

This type of line setup gets you an average of 6-10 mins per game, maybe a little extra if some are PKers. They give you that "Energy" shift that goes out, bangs some bodies, have a tenacious forecheck and try to swing things for you. Momentum gains.

This is the way our fourth line is built and should be. If their shifts were more limited and we didn't see them rolled out for every shift in the third period of a down 1/2 goal game, I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed with Clode.

Speed/little more Skill/Maybe some size

This type of line to me is more of what you "roll 4 lines". They give you scoring chances and create those "mismatches" that show your depth. They will get a little more TOI, maybe avg 10-12 mins.

This is the type of line I would like t see our 4th line turn into. Sure, Paille struck gold in a couple games in a row, but hadn't scored for a bazillian games prior, as well as the rest of his line.

TL:DR - If we are going to stick with our 4th line the way they are, cut down their freaking mins and give more to our lines that should be putting the puck in the net. If Campbell's mins on a nightly basis are even remotely close to the likes of Bergy, we have a serious problem.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
The injuries force clode to play sponner has he was supposed to do , this league belong to speed and you g blood, too bad when playoffs come and david is back, clode will be clode, he will break spooner lucic pasta line and will return to his campbell paille kelly love and bruins will lose and it will be 100% in clode.
Injuries show us how this team could be with a good coach

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The injuries force clode to play sponner has he was supposed to do , this league belong to speed and you g blood, too bad when playoffs come and david is back, clode will be clode, he will break spooner lucic pasta line and will return to his campbell paille kelly love and bruins will lose and it will be 100% in clode.

Been a huge supporter of Claude, and still am. However, if he goes back to the status quo that wasn't working well in place of what has been working beautifully as of late I will definitely have to start questioning his ability. This team will not go far at all in the playoffs with the old lines because the D is not good enough to compensate for the lack of offense the old lines were providing. Keeping my fingers crossed that he puts the team in the best position to win.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I don't really understand this. You're imagining some future, stating it as fact, and then blaming him for this. It's like my wife being pissed at me because she had a bad dream about me.

The season is long, injuries happen, guys get burnt out, and personally I'd rather julien play the 4th line as much as possible. Would you rather have Campbell and paille out there blocking shots in the last few minutes (and dealing with possible frustrated cheap shots) or have spooner and Pasternak taking bombs off the ankle.

I actually have no problem with Julien coaching this year.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Lightning give up a horrendous goal and the Bruins take a 2-1 lead. Huge momentum shift in the game? A chance to jump on a team that just had a goalie give up a bad goal and possibly deflated them?

4TH LINE TIME.

Boom, instantly a great scoring chance, Tampa respond immediately, tires it up a couple minutes later.

Been doing this for years, was stupid when the fourth line was good, crazy now that it's terrible.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Lightning give up a horrendous goal and the Bruins take a 2-1 lead. Huge momentum shift in the game? A chance to jump on a team that just had a goalie give up a bad goal and possibly deflated them?

4TH LINE TIME.

Boom, instantly a great scoring chance, Tampa respond immediately, tires it up a couple minutes later.

Been doing this for years, was stupid when the fourth line was good, crazy now that it's terrible.

I get that but... When is your time to play the 4th line? There's towards 4000 shifts in a season... Bergeron can't play all of them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I get that but... When is your time to play the 4th line? There's towards 4000 shifts in a season... Bergeron can't play all of them.

no but there is still this wacky habit of tossing out the 4th line after a goal...for me, I want to keep the momentum going with another shift where an offensive line can keep the pressure up

I`m a Julien backer, but not a blind one who can`t recognize that this is just a weird and far too consistent choice he makes

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I don't really understand this. You're imagining some future, stating it as fact, and then blaming him for this. It's like my wife being pissed at me because she had a bad dream about me.

The season is long, injuries happen, guys get burnt out, and personally I'd rather julien play the 4th line as much as possible. Would you rather have Campbell and paille out there blocking shots in the last few minutes (and dealing with possible frustrated cheap shots) or have spooner and Pasternak taking bombs off the ankle.

I actually have no problem with Julien coaching this year.

My view of future is based of 12345 real life situations where clode make the same decisions time after time after time. Believe me i would be in heaven is clode keep spooner line together and play young players like he do now . Bruins are a lot lot better team using young blood and TRUST THEM, i just don't believe clode will continue when david is back and with playoffs pressure, he will return to his old 2011 cup lovers !
Clode will die before he keep spooner over campbell
Hope i am wrong but we all know where is the reality

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

He can't? Oh **** then I guess the only other option after a big goal is our worst line.

Sorry, just felt like you responded with a false premise. Literally any other line after a big goal would be better. Try to score another one, not put the line most likely to give momentum back.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec

4TH LINE TIME.

Perfect example that we see every game ! When bruins score and take momentum clode break it with his beloved 4th line , it is just one of his terribles decisions that he keep doing and make this team a lot more weak than they are. This guy is not able to adjust and turn the page. We have to all be ready to see the 4th line begin the overtime period in playoffs and see campbell on ice with 2 minutes and in need of a goal

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
no but there is still this wacky habit of tossing out the 4th line after a goal...for me, I want to keep the momentum going with another shift where an offensive line can keep the pressure up

I`m a Julien backer, but not a blind one who can`t recognize that this is just a weird and far too consistent choice he makes

For a few years The Bruins were great at scoring in bunches - and killed teams - I loved it. I agree - I'd love them to build on momentum... I just think that the 4th line needs to play (as much as possible in a long season) but it is a 4th line and there's never ever an ideal time. It's never once crossed my mind that I've thought 'thank god Campbell is out there and not Bergeron or krejci' but also.... Other teams have some talent and also can't play all game... If your 4th line can neutralize stamkos, ovechkin, marking, giroux, etc. for a shift or two during the game it creates favourable match ups for every other line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don`t even give a sniff of ice time to the 4th if behind by a goal and under 5-7 mins

I don`t EVER put them out after the B`s have scored

I totally understand and agree that having a 4th line you can trust to eat some minutes so other lines can rest is a positive thing, but even with Talbot I don`t see that line doing a ton and I hate to say it as I truly appreciate and love the passion and effort from Soupy but he`s the problem, he`s not close to the same player he was after "the shift" occurred

when the play is in the offensive zone, it far too often dies on the stick of Soupy

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
4th line including paille -kelly- talbot-campbell should not get more than 5-6 minutes by game and should Never touch ice in third when we need a goal and in OT
18 minutes each first 3 lines and 6 minutes 4th

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He can't? Oh **** then I guess the only other option after a big goal is our worst line.

Sorry, just felt like you responded with a false premise. Literally any other line after a big goal would be better. Try to score another one, not put the line most likely to give momentum back.

I had a nice pleasant response but internet.... 5 minutes of my life... Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad