Claude Julien was asked about the shootout format tonight

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I turned it off after 4 on 4

you and I both Donnie, proud to say, have YET to watch even one shootout since it`s adoption in the NHL, my approach has always been to check the score after. I just refuse to drink the BS Kool Aid about the shootout being entertaining or good for hockey

Team sports need to be decided by a team play, case closed for me

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
You know what?

To all you people saying that I would LIKE the shootout if only the Bruins won? Turns out after last night I've had a change of heart and I really DO lik...

No - wait - that's not true at all. They still suck

Agreed.

I hate them and would hate them no matter who won and whether my team was good at them.

I get why they NHL doesn't have teams play it out to the end like the playoffs during the regular season but the ability to win in a shootout doesn't really indicate that a team is good at playing hockey.

I still think it's okay for a game to win in a tie.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed.

I hate them and would hate them no matter who won and whether my team was good at them.

I get why they NHL doesn't have teams play it out to the end like the playoffs during the regular season but the ability to win in a shootout doesn't really indicate that a team is good at playing hockey.

pretty sure you meant to type "end" in a tie and I agree

never had any issues with teams finishing tied but I have ALWAYS had an issue with a losing team being rewarded ANYTHING for that loss and I could care less if that means the B`s were the benefactor or hurt by it

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Hate the shootout win or lose.

It’s not exciting. OT hockey is the best thing in sports. You are on the edge of your seat the entire time and you don't want to blink and possibly miss the winning goal.

Shootouts are crap and add zero entertainment value in my opinion. When I watch them I just want it to end to see who wins I couldn't care less about watching the actual shootout itself. It is such an adrenalin letdown after OT.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Claude Julien was sticking with his earlier pronouncement, despite what had just happened. Asked if shootouts still stink, the Bruins coach said, “Yeah. I’m not hypocritical. I’m not going to pretend I like it. I like the win.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/12/bruins/nfFlPgOHGeUAyGybszYwIK/story.html

I agree with him. Shootouts suck.

Give me the 4x4 and follow it with 3x3 if more time needed.
That , to me, was exciting and still 'hockey competition'.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Claude Julien was sticking with his earlier pronouncement, despite what had just happened. Asked if shootouts still stink, the Bruins coach said, “Yeah. I’m not hypocritical. I’m not going to pretend I like it. I like the win.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/12/bruins/nfFlPgOHGeUAyGybszYwIK/story.html

That , to me, was exciting and still 'hockey competition'

That is still a gimmick even if less aggravating that shootuts...

The NHL will however never go back to the good old system so we'll have to endure it. As long as it NEVER extend to the playoffs, I guess I can live with the Mickey Mouse ending even if it gives some teams more points than they deserve getting a "false winning point" for what is actually a tie game...

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Agreed.

Long as it's 1-1 Clode agrees with you! :p:

Personally, I'd rather see ties than shootouts.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Claude Julien was sticking with his earlier pronouncement, despite what had just happened. Asked if shootouts still stink, the Bruins coach said, “Yeah. I’m not hypocritical. I’m not going to pretend I like it. I like the win.â€

That , to me, was exciting and still 'hockey competition'.

I agree. The brief 3 on 3 last night was awesome. I just cannot see how the League can't start with 4 on 4 then go to 3 on 3.

If I see one more slow serpentine rink wide glides to the net shootout move I'm going to scream.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I agree. The brief 3 on 3 last night was awesome. I just cannot see how the League can't start with 4 on 4 then go to 3 on 3.

If I see one more slow serpentine rink wide glides to the net shootout move I'm going to scream.

4 on 4 is gimmick too. I don't have problems with shootout. It's still requires skill on both sides and you have 65 minutes to win the game anyhow.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
4 on 4 is gimmick too. I don't have problems with shootout. It's still requires skill on both sides and you have 65 minutes to win the game anyhow.

I realize that 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 is somewhat of a gimmick, but it's still the game. It requires players to make passes, skate, play defense, take shots, score on a goalie --- to actually play the game of hockey. Just like when we were kids on the pond.

The shootouts have become absolutely ridiculous. Bergeron and Marchand's goals last night were a rarity in that the players actually skated in a reasonably straight line towards the net and took a shot/move that you might actually see in a game.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If Clode doesn't like the shoot out, he should change his perimeter cycling. Maybe the win more games by scoring more. Trying to win the game instead of not losing the game.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If Clode doesn't like the shoot out, he should change his perimeter cycling. Maybe the win more games by scoring more. Trying to win the game instead of not losing the game.

Julien has been using three forwards/one defenseman in OT all year, and other coaches are now starting to imitate him. How is that not trying to win?

The Bruins have struggled to score this season, but that isn't the norm. Under Julien, they've finished top 5 in scoring every year but one. The "Julien doesn't like scoring" is as tired and false a meme as "Julien doesn't like kids." Both have been disproven over and over, yet they live on because people believe what they want to believe, regardless of facts.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Not going to lie, I do find the shootout entertaining. I just don't think it should be a part of the game.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

But at least a gimmick that involves players trying to score while the other side plays defense to stop them and hopefully score themselves.

Sure it isnt 5 on 5 hockey, but it's closer to a real game than a shootout.

I totally understand why the league wants to limit OT in the regular season (a team on the front end of a back to back can't be expected to play 1 or 2 or even 3 periods of OT then play the second half against a rested team). And that's just one reason.

So if they are going with the gimmick then I prefer the one that is closer to a hockey game than a skills competition.

I'm still perfectly fine with games ending in a tie and the two points being split (and any win getting the full 2 points and the losers getting nothing).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
And I don't really find anything to criticize julien over in OT play. He always goes for the win-he put Pasta, Spooner and Krug out in the 3 on 3-that is imo going all in to win the game in the OT. It came pretty close to paying off too.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I'm no Claude apologist, but the notion that he is not playing to win leading up to OT and in OT is beaten back by every logical observation available.

Despite how much I hate him whining about the shootout after yet another loss (it doesn't seem to be something the team has ever chosen to work on in his tenure, despite it mattering), he clearly understands the team's performance in the gimmick. It's been years since I've been unhappy with his approach to the OT period.

Try an objective observation pal.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm no Claude apologist, but the notion that he is not playing to win leading up to OT and in OT is beaten back by every logical observation available.

Despite how much I hate him whining about the shootout after yet another loss (it doesn't seem to be something the team has ever chosen to work on in his tenure, despite it mattering), he clearly understands the team's performance in the gimmick. It's been years since I've been unhappy with his approach to the OT period.

Pal, I'm not talking about winning it in overtime. I'm talking about going for it and winning it in regular time. There is a difference. Logic tells me that playing the 4th line in the late minutes of a game is not going for it. That way he avoids the gimmick.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Julien has been using three forwards/one defenseman in OT all year, and other coaches are now starting to imitate him. How is that not trying to win?

The Bruins have struggled to score this season, but that isn't the norm. Under Julien, they've finished top 5 in scoring every year but one. The "Julien doesn't like scoring" is as tired and false a meme as "Julien doesn't like kids." Both have been disproven over and over, yet they live on because people believe what they want to believe, regardless of facts.

I understand that they have been one of the highest scoring teams in the league that last few years. Its been well documented here.My post was mostly criticizing the amount that the 4th line plays and how he is conservative in the late portions of the game. To me, I think he was lucky Spooner and Pasternak were forced upon him. They wouldn't be scoring at all with these two.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

But they do work on the shootout. Every team works on the shootout. I l'm puzzled as to why you believe they don't.

You can spend hours every day working on something. That doesn't mean every attempt you make is going to be successful.

Tyler Biggs*

The game was perfectly fine for a hundred years. Stop screwing with it. Take out the trapezoid., instigator rule, the dumb shooting it over the glass penalty,... and changing the centre line two line pass rule is why there was so many concussions so they had to turn it into the no hit league and banned clean shoulder to head hits.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The game was perfectly fine for a hundred years. Stop screwing with it. Take out the trapezoid., instigator rule, the dumb shooting it over the glass penalty,... and changing the centre line two line pass rule is why there was so many concussions so they had to turn it into the no hit league and banned clean shoulder to head hits.

Agree with all you say.But want to add about shoulder that now pads so hard them hits near kill players.Its like armour now.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

:handclap: Alot of players I swear are not skating at end just stickhandling.Patrick Kane style.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad