Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien to return as Bruins coach for 2015-16 season

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It will be interesting to see how he adapts here. He has forever pen pegged as the one trick pony, let's see what he's got. I think just getting this team into the playoffs with all the cap restraints and bad contracts would be a pass. The more look at what is ahead with our cap situation the more I realize just how little foresight the Chia used when making decisions.

jdz

May 22, 2013
The horses are going to be pretty similar next season so instead of being okay with 9th place, maybe have a coach who can get the best out of his players.

Except for the whole core being injured at different times throughout the season. If the guys stay healthy they'll put together better hockey.

Clode never gave me the impression he was okay with 9th.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Simply, with the new contract and the lack of a candidate that really excites management...we're finally here...

While Clode has always been opposed to change, I think the message really has been sent. I think he'll give in and buy in. So, he's the best choice.

Next year will be really interesting.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Simply, with the new contract and the lack of a candidate that really excites management...we're finally here...

While Clode has always been opposed to change, I think the message really has been sent. I think he'll give in and buy in. So, he's the best choice.

Claude is better than any coach on the market. Mike Babcock would not have done any better, I think he is the best coach in the league btw. I don't care what system you play if you have a 1 legged Zdeno Chara (it was more like half a leg) with one and often two of Bartkowski, Miller and Krug playing top four minutes your in trouble. Oh and also take away your first line center for over half the season when your already down a RW that he and your first line LW are used to playing with. Sprinkle on a litany of random injuries to go with that.

You can put some blame on Julien for losing to the Habs in the playoffs but no coach could have succeeded with last year's roster the way things played out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Lack of candidates? I think there were plenty of potential coaches the B`s could have turned to and opposed to change?

Disagree, while I can`t and won`t defend CJ for his usage of the "Binky" players some refer to them as here, if you can`t see the changes CJ has made in his approach over the years well.....NEVER would he have allowed the D to step up and jump into the play in his first few years. He`s changed the teams neutral zone approach.

Nope, hasn`t changed the D to D passes and while I don`t think they need to make a half dozen passes to begin the play, I`m not nearly as opposed to this as some/many are here as I get why he`s done it, this teams bloody slow, and when you have a slow team, the forwards need time to "wind up" for lack of a better word/phrase. Who, outside of Marchand/Pasta and maybe Spooner are on the roster who can/could stretch the D out?

Not sure if you noticed at the end of the year after Spooner and Pasta came onboard full time but those D to D passes were minimized, while still happening, I`d wager the passes were limited to maybe 2/3 as those two got into full stride to take the pass

Julien can and is stubborn at times, but I`m in total disagreement that he is outright opposed to change

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
What about the Cup win and the trip to the finals two years later ? Julien had nothing to do with that right ?

If the Bruins don't get one of the best goaltending performances in the history of the modern NHL they don't win the Cup and probably don't get out of the 1st round that year.

2013 took a miracle comeback against the Leafs after being thoroughly outplayed for most of the game.

Other than that we have never made it out of the 2nd round. Do you think that is underachieving with this roster?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Well Julien has proven that he can be successful given the horses. The question is, do the Bruins have the horses to be successful?

We all knew this day was coming, the day when Chara was going to be a 'good' number one and not a Norris contender. Throw in Seidenberg having injury problems and getting older and Boychuk being traded for scraps. Suddenly our defence is average at best, terrible on average.

Here is a hint, every coach in the NHL favors vets over kids. The ones that don't often have terrible teams and have no choice. We can argue about Claude 'system', just a catch all phrase for people who cannot articulate what Claude really does. We can argue how Claude ruins offensive players despite the Bruins on average being one of the best offensive teams in the league during his time here. The reality is Claude is a better coach than most in the NHL.

However, his time here maybe running out and it maybe time for a new coach anyway. Nine seasons is a long time in one place. But the game has changed and maybe the Bruins will need a coach who can coach the new style, but it shouldn't be an indictment of Claude either because he simply doesn't have the defence to play this style.

We need New players more than we need a new coach, but we will probably need both soon.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Julien deserves a shot with whatever 'new' roster that Sweeney is going to deliver. If it's the same old song then he will go, but I think he deserves the chance to prove that he has the capacity to change

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The horses are going to be pretty similar next season so instead of being okay with 9th place, maybe have a coach who can get the best out of his players.

Usually agree with you but if I had to come up with buzz words, phrases, descriptions, memories of Claude as Bruins coach the a Merlot Line is at or near the top.

The Merlot Line is gone - Campbell and Paille aren't going to be here.

Two things I like about Claude staff are Houda and Jarvis. I'm glad they are back.

Claude is from the neutral zone trap era- stop goals first and if I can't trust you defensively you can't play

It's up to Sweeney to not give him to many of these guys. It's up to Claude to change the approach

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Give any coach a stacked roster and they will succeed. It's what you can do with what you got that makes you a good coach. Julien did at one time, but he complained about the roster last season in subtle ways. Never more telling then the conversation after a game when either jack or Andy asked about the defensive issues with the young players. He beamed said something like glad you noticed. That doesn't sound like a coach that wants to semi rebuild the roster and deal with rookie mistakes.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but if Sweeney has to fire him during the season, to me that's strike one on his judgements.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Give any coach a stacked roster and they will succeed. It's what you can do with what you got that makes you a good coach. Julien did at one time, but he complained about the roster last season in subtle ways. Never more telling then the conversation after a game when either jack or Andy asked about the defensive issues with the young players. He beamed said something like glad you noticed. That doesn't sound like a coach that wants to semi rebuild the roster and deal with rookie mistakes.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but if Sweeney has to fire him during the season, to me that's strike one on his judgements.

Claude will not be fired - I'm down for 100 plus poinrs and first round home ice

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I'm glad Julien is staying, but I almost wish the team had gone in another direction for the pure entertainment factor of watching this forum continue the meltdown when that coach produces a mediocre result while Julien continues to make the playoffs with another team. I realize that isn't the guaranteed outcome but I think it is likely.

I think the Bruins 2015-2016 season could very well be a realization of the ancient curse: May you live in interesting times.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
You mean the line that couldn't get out of their own zone if their lives depended on it? They were routinely pinned in. There's a reason they weren't out there when nursing a lead

And were an absolutely enormous reason we even sniffed the playoffs last year, not Julien. And it took DK going down to even bring that together.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Claude will not be fired - I'm down for 100 plus poinrs and first round home ice

All depends on what Sweeney does with the roster. If he has more spooners than Kellys it would be a problem. I just think trying to change a coach's philosophy is hard to do. I see Julien getting more disgruntled if the season starts off bad, goes back to his ways, and gets canned. It could go the other way and everything is peaches, but I'd bet the former than the latter

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
We know CJ is a good coach, but a great coach is someone that can change adapt to new styles and new ideas, Sweeney has laid down what he wants. CJ know what must be done, I am hoping that Julian can become that great coach.

OutspokenMinority*

no waaaay. claude will put up with it for a while and when it doesn't work he will throw his hand up and say, "not my fault. i didn't really want to go in this direction because i knew only grinding, dump and chase hockey with greg campbell wins in this league."

i'd like someone to point to another similar situation that worked out (ie. leftover coach, put in limbo, organizational adjustments to which the usually stubborn, rigid coach claims to be willing to adjust).

i'm all for tryin git just as a thank you and for the :popcorn: factor but i have very little confidence that this is anything more than a stopgap before they find the next long-term coach, probably for next year.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'm not that disappointed as long as he's on a short leash. It's not like there were better options to replace him although I would have liked Dineen. He just wasn't available to talk to and they can't wait forever.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If the Bruins don't get one of the best goaltending performances in the history of the modern NHL they don't win the Cup and probably don't get out of the 1st round that year.

2013 took a miracle comeback against the Leafs after being thoroughly outplayed for most of the game.

Other than that we have never made it out of the 2nd round. Do you think that is underachieving with this roster?

Wait, we can use ifs and buts now?

Honestly if you did this same kind of dissection with any other Cup winner in history you could find a way to take away their Cup. It is disingenuous. They accomplished what they accomplished...luck evens out.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

Thomas had 1 amazing series in 2011, he also had 1 average series and 1 bad series.

Mtl: 16ga, 2.28gaa
TB: 18ga, 2.57gaa

Also I seem to remember Claude shutting down 2 of the 3 best players in hockey in 2013.

2g in 4 games against Pitt with Crosby and Malkin getting 0 points.

If not getting past the 2nd round is underachieving, what does that make Babcock? He's at 6 straight appearances

Does Sutter not get credit for last year's Cup cause they needed a miracle 3-0 comeback?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Usually agree with you but if I had to come up with buzz words, phrases, descriptions, memories of Claude as Bruins coach the a Merlot Line is at or near the top.

The Merlot Line is gone - Campbell and Paille aren't going to be here.

Two things I like about Claude staff are Houda and Jarvis. I'm glad they are back.

Claude is from the neutral zone trap era- stop goals first and if I can't trust you defensively you can't play

It's up to Sweeney to not give him to many of these guys. It's up to Claude to change the approach

This is what it comes down to and where my problem lies. Coaches can say they're going to change but at the end of the day, they are who they are. Even if he changes early, in crunch time he's going to go right back to what he's comfortable with. Just like last year. He was clearly forced to change and use Spooner and Pasta and that line nearly salvaged the playoffs. But when it came down to the penultimate games of the year, he gave his most consistent scoring line less minutes than his useless 4th line plugs. If he survives the whole season and manages to change it up for most of that, at some point he's going to revert back to what he trusts, even if it's wrong.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thomas had 1 amazing series in 2011, he also had 1 average series and 1 bad series.

Mtl: 16ga, 2.28gaa
TB: 18ga, 2.57gaa

Also I seem to remember Claude shutting down 2 of the 3 best players in hockey in 2013.

2g in 4 games against Pitt with Crosby and Malkin getting 0 points.

If not getting past the 2nd round is underachieving, what does that make Babcock? He's at 6 straight appearances

Does Sutter not get credit for last year's Cup cause they needed a miracle 3-0 comeback?

GAA is the wrong thing to look at for goalie performance. If you want a far more accurate look at level of play, use Save percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad