Management Claude Julien - The Last Hurrah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Damn. I've just, once again, become a huge Claude Julien fan!

Although I did like Mike Sullivan. Just thought the timing wasn't right.

go back and look at the revolving door of Bruins coaches before CJ.

Lets start around 1990
Mike Milbury
Rick Bonus
Brian Sutter
Steve Kasper
Pat Burns
Mike Keenan
Robbie Ftorek
Mike O'Connell
Mike Sullivan
Dave Lewis
CJ

so over the past 26 years we have had two good coaches CJ and Burns.

It's gonna suck to go back to the 1-2 year coaching musical chairs again.

gonna suck big time.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Lets start around 1990
Mike Milbury
Rick Bonus
Brian Sutter
Steve Kasper
Pat Burns
Mike Keenan
Robbie Ftorek
Mike O'Connell
Mike Sullivan
Dave Lewis
CJ

gonna suck big time.

Personally,I think O'Reilly,Milbury,Sutter and Sullivan were good coaches. I think O'Reilly and Milbury left on their own,Sutter wore out his welcome and Sully got canned by the new regime.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Lets start around 1990
Mike Milbury
Rick Bonus
Brian Sutter
Steve Kasper
Pat Burns
Mike Keenan
Robbie Ftorek
Mike O'Connell
Mike Sullivan
Dave Lewis
CJ

gonna suck big time.

As others have pointed out, when Julien took over, there were a ton of question marks surrounding him. Why would you just assume that if they go in a different direction now, the new coach will only be a short-term solution?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Personally,I think O'Reilly,Milbury,Sutter and Sullivan were good coaches. I think O'Reilly and Milbury left on their own,Sutter wore out his welcome and Sully got canned by the new regime.

I started at 1990 so O'Reilly wasn't on my list.

I think Milbury was a good coach for the time maybe but in todays game which is so different I think he would be trash.

Sutter I hated as a coach.

Sully wasn't ready

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
As others have pointed out, when Julien took over, there were a ton of question marks surrounding him. Why would you just assume that if they go in a different direction now, the new coach will only be a short-term solution?

Because the norm for the NHL coaches in general are short term. This is the list of coachs to start the last season and their longevity.

Ducks - 4 years
Coyotes - 6 years
Sabers - New coach
Flames - 4 years
Hurricanes - 1 year
Blackhawks - 7 years
Avalanche - 2 years
CBJ - 1 year
Stars - 2 years
Wings - new coach
Oil - new coach
Panthers - 1 year
LA - 4 years
Wild - new coach
Habs - 3 years
Nash - 1 year
NJD - new coach
NYI - 5 years
NYR - 2 years
Sens - 1 year (fired)
Flyers - new coach
Pitt - new coach
Sharks - new coach
Blues - 4 years
Tampa - 3 years
Leafs - new coach
Van - 1 year
Caps - 1 year
Jets - 2 years

Don't see a lot of stability there at all.

Also not sure why I am shocked by this place but its shocking to me still that people expected CJ to get better results this year than last when he was given a worse team to coach than last year.

Thats on management not coaching.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Because the norm for the NHL coaches in general are short term. This is the list of coachs to start the last season and their longevity.

Ducks - 4 years
Coyotes - 6 years
Sabres - New coach
Flames - 4 years
Hurricanes - 1 year
Blackhawks - 7 years
Avalanche - 2 years
CBJ - 1 year
Stars - 2 years
Wings - new coach
Oil - new coach
Panthers - 1 year
LA - 4 years
Wild - new coach
Habs - 3 years
Nash - 1 year
NJD - new coach
NYI - 5 years
NYR - 2 years
Sens - 1 year (fired)
Flyers - new coach
Pitt - new coach
Sharks - new coach
Blues - 4 years
Tampa - 3 years
Leafs - new coach
Van - 1 year
Caps - 1 year
Jets - 2 years

Also not sure why I am shocked by this place but its shocking to me still that people expected CJ to get better results this year than last when he was given a worse team to coach than last year.

The lack of talent IS on management. That's what happens when you are trying to retool or rebuild, whether on the fly or blowing it up. The issue I have and likely that the B's FO has, is that Julien was able to take a roster that was lacking talent (on defense) and have them in a playoff position for 90% of the season...only to have them collapse epically for the second year in a row. That collapse is on coaching and even moreso on the players.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Ducks - 4 years
Coyotes - 6 years
Sabres - New coach
Flames - 4 years
Hurricanes - 1 year
Blackhawks - 7 years
Avalanche - 2 years
CBJ - 1 year
Stars - 2 years
Wings - new coach
Oil - new coach
Panthers - 1 year
LA - 4 years
Wild - new coach
Habs - 3 years
Nash - 1 year
NJD - new coach
NYI - 5 years
NYR - 2 years
Sens - 1 year (fired)
Flyers - new coach
Pitt - new coach
Sharks - new coach
Blues - 4 years
Tampa - 3 years
Leafs - new coach
Van - 1 year
Caps - 1 year
Jets - 2 years

We were lucky to have Julien.
Now it's massive black hole all over again.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The lack of talent IS on management. That's what happens when you are trying to retool or rebuild, whether on the fly or blowing it up. The issue I have and likely that the B's FO has, is that Julien was able to take a roster that was lacking talent (on defense) and have them in a playoff position for 90% of the season...only to have them collapse epically for the second year in a row. That collapse is on coaching and even moreso on the players.

That's where I disagree with you. He took a crap defense and got a ton out of them for most of the year. Then when the other teams turned it up a notch to make the post season run the Bruins couldn't match because they didn't have the players that had the ability to do that. Thats on management for not getting the right players.

My opinion is you keep the same roster and swap out CJ for another coach and this team is out of a playoff position by thanksgiving and not even in the position to almost get in.

Again thats due to the roster not the coach.

CJ is one of the top 5 coaches in the game.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Lets start around 1990
Mike Milbury
Rick Bonus
Brian Sutter
Steve Kasper
Pat Burns
Mike Keenan
Robbie Ftorek
Mike O'Connell
Mike Sullivan
Dave Lewis
CJ

gonna suck big time.

Milbury was a good coach. Terrible GM but a very good coach in Boston.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Last time I saw this much excitement from other teams, was the Boychuck trade.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That's where I disagree with you. He took a crap defense and got a ton out of them for most of the year. Then when the other teams turned it up a notch to make the post season run the Bruins couldn't match because they didn't have the players that had the ability to do that. Thats on management for not getting the right players.

My opinion is you keep the same roster and swap out CJ for another coach and this team is out of a playoff position by thanksgiving and not even in the position to almost get in.

Great post.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Milbury was a good coach. Terrible GM but a very good coach in Boston.

ok so even if you count him as a good coach then from 1990-2007 (after which CJ took over) so over 17 years we had a good coach for exactly 4 years (Milbury for 1 and Burns for 3)

I disagree with whoever said Kennen was good here. guy had a 33-34-7 record and missed the playoffs. If that's good then CJ is a God.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

IMO, I would have preferred this result. I think Julien is a great coach, have said it many times, but I HATED the way he handled the D this year (as bad as it was). If the D was a bad as everyone thinks, what difference would it have made if we saw Colin Miller playing instead of Kevan?

This team had plenty of talent up front, and I had them pegged as a .500 team that would miss the playoffs from the start of the season. Over the last 15 games in each of the last two seasons, they have been FAR WORSE than a .500 team.

Average would have gotten them in both years.

This development cannot be ignored IMO. One year is an anomaly, two years is a trend. As much as I like CJ, I'm not sure he's the right guy for this team at this time.

Oct 10, 2010
Hey folks, i haven't had the chance to read the whole thread, but what's the latest on Julien?

Rumours here in Ottawa suggest he's Pierre Dorian's first choice should you guys let him go.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

So the logic you're using is that if they dare replace Julien, they're going to suck more and miss the playoff earlier than if they'd have kept Claude? Nothing personal, but what's the difference? If you miss the playoffs on the last day of the season or if you're out of it by American Thanksgiving, you still didn't make the playoffs, no?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
See, to my eyes they did make adjustments.

In previous years, they exited their defensive zone as a 5man unit, with wingers in their lanes along the walls. No stretch pass options but lots of close puck support for short (easy) passes from the defense.

This year, we saw wings not only leaving the zone ahead of the play but cut diagonally across the neutral zone for that quick up transition pass. Eriksson talked about how it was more similar to what he did in Dallas at the start of the year. So that quick-up transition play was there - they just didn't execute it very well. That's not on Julien, he's can't control the reads and decisions the D make in the middle of a breakout. That's on Chara and Quaider and Seidenberg and Miller and even the kids, who had trouble recognizing it quickly enough to take advantage.

As for the offensive zone, again I think it's a personnel thing. If you don't want a perimeter game then you need guys who power to the net. Where are those guys? If you don't want point play then you need a strong board presence but Sweeney made a decision to move towards more speed, so while that's useful off the rush it hasn't helped our down low possession game. When we try to move the puck out high you're talking about trying to use a defense that started the year with only one bona fide top4 defensemen, and two kids who were LITERALLY falling over their teammates they were so confused. To me, this group of players weren't put together with a cohesive identity or style of play in mind. If you added a Yandle and Shattenkirk to Krug on this defense then I think you see the defense hit those wingers cutting across the neutral zone to take advantage of their speed. I think that when the puck goes back to the point, you don't get a lame shot wide, you'd see them make a fake that draws someone out of coverage and they zip a pass back door or get their shot through...

The best at analyzing plays. No one even comes close. :handclap:
Wish you'd post more bro.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
So the logic you're using is that if they dare replace Julien, they're going to suck more and miss the playoff earlier than if they'd have kept Claude? Nothing personal, but what's the difference? If you miss the playoffs on the last day of the season or if you're out of it by American Thanksgiving, you still didn't make the playoffs, no?

If you ain't first, you're last. I believe Ricky Bobby said that.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
What I find interesting is last year it was Chia's fault.

This year the new GM gives the coach a worse team. The coach gets just as much out of them even though they are worse but somehow this year its his fault.

If anything he should have been more at fault last year with a better team. Sometimes I just don't get the logic around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad