Management Claude Julien - The Last Hurrah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
So making the Stanley Cup Final and taking a superior team to six games with a team injured to the extent the 2013 Bruins were is a "choking"? :laugh:

And by the way, 2013 is the only time a Claude Julien coached Bruins lost a series in less than seven games. Buncha' chokers!! :laugh:

I don't think Chicago was superior,in fact I think they were inferior but healthier.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Have to say, only in Boston, a month away from becoming winning-est coach in team history, your fired.

Sorry but because you win a cup 5 years ago you don't get a lifetime pass. This is a results oriented business and Julien got his reprieve after last year's disaster of a season, couple that with an almost unheard of late season collapse and he is getting what he deserves. That last game against Ottawa sure showed how the players have his back.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think with the case of Liles coming in, he filled Morrow's role as the puck moving guy, but was a little bit more refined in his overall game. Morrow's game isn't suited to see the PK time that Seids, KMiller, and McQuaid get, at least not yet at this stage of his development and with a team looking to make the playoffs.

True, but Liles killed penalties in Carolina, and could of replaced one of the three pylons and given the D 3 puck-movers with Morrow still in the line-up. But in Julien's eyes only big, slow, D-men can kill penalties, puck-movers need not apply.

But Julien was never going to dress Morrow over Seidenberg/K.Miller/McQuaid no matter how many times Morrow moved the puck out of the zone cleanly by skating or passing, or how many times Seidenberg/McQuaid/K.Miller rang the puck off the boards right onto the other teams stick.

Sorry but his handling of Morrow and C.Miller this season was baffling.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I see where he should shoulder some of the blame. But to be the fall guy and dismiss him when there's no upgrade in sight is foolish IMO, especially with the personnel problems on defense.

That and the first time everyone assumed it was just Lou being Lou in NJ.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
I see where he should shoulder some of the blame. But to be the fall guy and dismiss him when there's no upgrade in sight is foolish IMO, especially with the personnel problems on defense.

We know what this team is with Julien and this roster. Just cause there is no upgrade on paper for coach doesn't mean this team wouldn't be better suited with a different coach.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't think Chicago was superior,in fact I think they were inferior but healthier.

On paper they were about even, but their performance was superior. Part of that was health, part was puck luck, part was our designated sniper(s) ******** the bed. Whatever it was, it wasn't a choke job. That was a great series and I have no regrets losing to that team. They played the game the right way.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Maybe they can fire Chiarelli again? His drafting record alone is worthy of a double firing I would think, not to mention the Boychuk and Seguin trades.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
True, but Liles killed penalties in Carolina, and could of replaced one of the three pylons and given the D 3 puck-movers with Morrow still in the line-up. But in Julien's eyes only big, slow, D-men can kill penalties, puck-movers need not apply.

But Julien was never going to dress Morrow over Seidenberg/K.Miller/McQuaid no matter how many times Morrow moved the puck out of the zone cleanly by skating or passing, or how many times Seidenberg/McQuaid/K.Miller rang the puck off the boards right onto the other teams stick.

Sorry but his handling of Morrow and C.Miller this season was baffling.

Liles did see time on the Boston PK, nearly the same amount he saw in Carolina ( 1.4 to 1.2 ).

I still don't see Morrow or the handling of CMiller as baffling. It wasn't a rebuilding season and you have rookie dmen making mistakes. There isn't a coach in the league that isn't going to sit a rookie dman who's not a sure fire stud over a proven veteran player on a team that appears to be playoff bound.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
We know what this team is with Julien and this roster. Just cause there is no upgrade on paper for coach doesn't mean this team wouldn't be better suited with a different coach.

So with your logic, same roster + worse coach = better team record. Gotcha.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
funny how many who want CJ gonzo aren`t enthralled at the thought he will/possibly wind up coaching for an Eastern Conference opponent:)

I don't care where he ends up. If he becomes the next coach of the Senators, then I will have no problem with that. In fact, Ottawa could probably use a coach like Julien.

As for Morrow and Miller, the issue wasn't the total amount of games played.

It was the constant shuffle in-and-out between the two players. Neither could ever gain any confidence because the 1st time he made a glaring error, he was gone to the press-box in favor of the other one.

Morrow was actually starting to gain some traction (4pts in 5 games) leading up to the deadline, then Liles was brought in and up to the pressbox he went.

Morrow's longest consecutive stretch this season was 6 games. And he did that once, back in late Oct. early Nov.

Excellent point.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Damn. I've just, once again, become a huge Claude Julien fan!

Although I did like Mike Sullivan. Just thought the timing wasn't right.

Sully was a very likeable guy. He was young and was a really good X's and O's coach, plus was homegrown from his college days as a player here in Boston and then to his first coaching stint with the Providence Bruins, where his team was first. Hell, his first season as a rookie coach with the Bruins, his team finished 1st in the NorthEast division with 104 points.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
On paper they were about even, but their performance was superior. Part of that was health, part was puck luck, part was our designated sniper(s) ******** the bed. Whatever it was, it wasn't a choke job. That was a great series and I have no regrets losing to that team. They played the game the right way.

No way was it a choke,except maybe Seguin:sarcasm: I thought the Bruins absolutely peaked in that 3 year period during the Pitts sweep. If they had the same health against Chicago,I think they would have beaten them in 5 or 6.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
No way was it a choke,except maybe Seguin:sarcasm: I thought the Bruins absolutely peaked in that 3 year period during the Pitts sweep. If they had the same health against Chicago,I think they would have beaten them in 5 or 6.

I think so too. No Horton and Bergeron was basically pulling a Monty Python Black Knight routine and was down to his last working limb. And we had Seguin and Jagr flake out, as well as former playoff heroes Chris Kelly and Rich Peverely contrbute almost nothing on the ice. That run was squarely on the backs of the core and they nearly pulled it off.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
So with your logic, same roster + worse coach = better team record. Gotcha.

Very possible. Again, stop looking at it in a vaccum. Are you not allowing for the fact that players have tuned him out? That they aren't playing hard for him?

I get it. Julien is a good X and Os guy, but that's not everything.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He didn't say it about Robbie Ftorek, Mike Sullivan, Dave Lewis, or Mike O'Connell, all of who have coached Bergeron in the NHL.

After 9 years with Claude and the success they had,I'm sure there is a relationship beyond what could be built with 1 year of Lewis,2 years of Sully or 1 year of the other 2. With Claude he grew,had great personal and team success and near tragic injury.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Colin Miller and Joe Morrow had ample time to secure a starting gig on the roster and didn't. When you are playing 15 minutes a night against the weakest opposition, you should be playing mistake free hockey. That's the reality of the situation. That's how McQuaid, Boychuk and KMiller won a starting gig on the bottom six.

I would be all for them getting their licks in, but when management wants to make the playoffs you can't.

Nothing strange about their handling, they aren't good enough yet.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
A 6-1 smack-down by a terribly depleted Sens team on home ice in the last game of the year should be a huge concern going forward.

Hey maybe call a timeout, talk to your players.

What did he do, nothing, just let the barrage happen.

Again.

This team won the Cup 5 years ago not last year, if he isn't let go this year, I can almost guarantee you he will be let go in under 10 games of the regular season next year, when the same thing happens.

Again.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Well I hope he's fired because everyone in Ottawa wants him as our coach.

If let go he'll be the top dog to get.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Colin Miller and Joe Morrow had ample time to secure a starting gig on the roster and didn't. When you are playing 15 minutes a night against the weakest opposition, you should be playing mistake free hockey. That's the reality of the situation. That's how McQuaid, Boychuk and KMiller won a starting gig on the bottom six.

I would be all for them getting their licks in, but when management wants to make the playoffs you can't.

Nothing strange about their handling, they aren't good enough yet.

Good point about those 3. Of course, they each came into a much more stable situation with the top 4 D at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad