Management Claude Julien - The Last Hurrah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
As for Morrow and Miller, the issue wasn't the total amount of games played.

It was the constant shuffle in-and-out between the two players. Neither could ever gain any confidence because the 1st time he made a glaring error, he was gone to the press-box in favor of the other one.

Morrow was actually starting to gain some traction (4pts in 5 games) leading up to the deadline, then Liles was brought in and up to the pressbox he went.

Morrow's longest consecutive stretch this season was 6 games. And he did that once, back in late Oct. early Nov.

I disagree. I don't think Morrow's play warranted anymore than what he got. Miller started off strong and his decision making started to get worse, which is normal for a rookie dman. Trotman was given a raw deal playing with Irwin, came back and played well for the most part, and then his play started to deteriorate as well.

We picked up Liles and he played over Morrow because he's better than him. That's not a slight against Morrow but just a reality of the situation: a team trying to make the playoffs will play a veteran puck mover over the rookie puck mover who's not a sure-fire stud.

Unless Morrow and CMiller **** the bed this offseason, I would expect them to play more minutes and see more games next year based on the progression system.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair... Liles was a much better option for them transitioning out of the back end. Morrow might get there some day but he is too inconsistent at this point.

I agree. I would of played Liles too.

The issue I have is that even though Morrow was playing well and producing, it didn't mean a row of beans to Julien. He was the guy to sit, regardless if he was outplaying and outproducing the so called "safer" choices Seidenberg, McQuaid, or K.Miller. The minute Liles got here I don't say Julien had to think twice about which D-man was out. He could of dressed Morrow AND Liles if he wanted, which I would of done at least to start.

He made a similar mistake with Connolly, who like Morrow had his best stretch as a Bruin going into the deadline (1-6-7 totals in 10 games). Stempniak arrives, replaces Connolly on the Top line, Connolly goes from the 1st to the 4th (somehow bypassing Hayes on the 3rd) then up to the press-box. No reason he couldn't of left Connolly where he was too and producing, and put Stempniak on the 3rd line to start. If Connolly's play tailed off then you make the move, not before.

I thought Coaches were to reward good play, in both cases Morrow and Connolly's best stretches lead to demotions. Makes zero sense.

Stone Roses

Dec 27, 2009
He'd be great with them, and he'd be great with your team. Most of the jargon you hear about Julien on this board is pure fantasy.

Julien gave Wideman his first chance at big minutes and Wideman had a great year for him in 09. He coached Sheldon Souray to his first breakout offensive season with 15 goals. He had Markov in his second full season and played him 21+ minutes a game. He had Brian Rafalski in NJ and played him 25:29 a game and helped him have what was at the time, a career year. In the three years he's had Torey Krug he's steadily increased his ice time and responsibility and this year Krug put up career numbers with 44points and 21:36 of ice time.

I think the thing that frustrates and or confuses most fans is that he's patient and protective with young players. If a young player is struggling and/or losing confidence, he'll sit him out to watch and learn or send him down to get his confidence back up. So there's this cry from the cheap seats that he hates kids, but he's shown no hesitancy to play young players who were actually ready to contribute. Pastrnak this year and last, Seguin as a sophomore, Krug as a rookie...

Personally I don't think he gets enough credit for developing and integrating young players WHILE AT THE SAME TIME remaining competitive. Krejci, Pastrnak, Lucic, Marchand, Reilly Smith, Wheeler, Seguin, Boychuk, Rask, Wideman, Krug, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Hunwick, Kampfer, Spooner, Kessel, Kevan Miller, Dougie Hamilton.... This year, Colin Miller and Frank Vatrano saw about 40 games each. Next year, they'll be full time players in regular roles, following the same developmental path as Krejci and Marchand.

So good. Thanks!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. I don't think Morrow's play warranted anymore than what he got. Miller started off strong and his decision making started to get worse, which is normal for a rookie dman. Trotman was given a raw deal playing with Irwin, came back and played well for the most part, and then his play started to deteriorate as well.

We picked up Liles and he played over Morrow because he's better than him. That's not a slight against Morrow but just a reality of the situation: a team trying to make the playoffs will play a veteran puck mover over the rookie puck mover who's not a sure-fire stud.

Unless Morrow and CMiller **** the bed this offseason, I would expect them to play more minutes and see more games next year based on the progression system.

Agree on a lot of your points.

But all I am saying is if Julien had just chose one of Morrow or C.Miller and ran with whichever one he chose, the Bruins would of been better off. Give whichever one he liked better 20 consecutive games to gain some traction and confidence. No player, rookie or veteran, is going to be all they can be when it's 4 games in, 7 games out, 2 games in, 5 games out etc. And it wasn't just one of them getting this shuffle, it negatively impacted both.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Wonder if old man Jacobs is trying to trade Claude to Ottawa for 6th rounder so he doesn't have to pay him anything. Not sure its even legal in the NHL

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
...I choose one of the smartest people in hockey period, Patrice Bergeron. According to Bergy (A Stanley Cup, WJHC, World Champion, 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist) Claude is the best coach he has ever had.

People really, really need to stop using that quote.

WTF was Bergeron going to say? That every year but 2011 has ended with his team choking, and that it's the coach's responsibility to ensure that more of those seasons have less of those multiple-loss finishes?

He might've said the same thing if Steve Kasper was his HC all these years.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
People really, really need to stop using that quote. WTF was Bergeron going to say? That every year but 2011 has ended with his team choking, and that it's the coach's responsibility to ensure that more of those seasons have less of those multiple-loss finishes?

He didn't say it about Robbie Ftorek, Mike Sullivan, Dave Lewis, or Mike O'Connell, all of who have coached Bergeron in the NHL.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
People really, really need to stop using that quote.

WTF was Bergeron going to say? That every year but 2011 has ended with his team choking, and that it's the coach's responsibility to ensure that more of those seasons have less of those multiple-loss finishes?

What's worse, someone who keeps using that quote, or someone who claims every season except one that won the Cup is a "choking". :shakehead

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Jesus, you ruined my lunch with that list.

Watch out, because as frustrated we are with Claude, I'm almost certain the next coach has a lot to live up to, and likely won't. (All good things come to an end, might be the right time for Claude)

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Have to say, only in Boston, a month away from becoming winning-est coach in team history, your fired.

Julien was fired in the past when his team made the playoffs, two straight collapses and someone's gotta go. He can't get the credit when they win and none the blame when they collapse

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree. I would of played Liles too.

The issue I have is that even though Morrow was playing well and producing, it didn't mean a row of beans to Julien. He was the guy to sit, regardless if he was outplaying and outproducing the so called "safer" choices Seidenberg, McQuaid, or K.Miller. The minute Liles got here I don't say Julien had to think twice about which D-man was out. He could of dressed Morrow AND Liles if he wanted, which I would of done at least to start.

He made a similar mistake with Connolly, who like Morrow had his best stretch as a Bruin going into the deadline (1-6-7 totals in 10 games). Stempniak arrives, replaces Connolly on the Top line, Connolly goes from the 1st to the 4th (somehow bypassing Hayes on the 3rd) then up to the press-box. No reason he couldn't of left Connolly where he was too and producing, and put Stempniak on the 3rd line to start. If Connolly's play tailed off then you make the move, not before.

I thought Coaches were to reward good play, in both cases Morrow and Connolly's best stretches lead to demotions. Makes zero sense.

I think with the case of Liles coming in, he filled Morrow's role as the puck moving guy, but was a little bit more refined in his overall game. Morrow's game isn't suited to see the PK time that Seids, KMiller, and McQuaid get, at least not yet at this stage of his development and with a team looking to make the playoffs.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Unless you're trading away the core and going full rebuild mode, you don't fire Claude Julien.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Julien was fired in the past when his team made the playoffs, two straight collapses and someone's gotta go. He can't get the credit when they win and none the blame when they collapse

Yeah, like the hardcore Claude/System haters gave him credit when they won! :biglaugh:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I see where he should shoulder some of the blame. But to be the fall guy and dismiss him when there's no upgrade in sight is foolish IMO, especially with the personnel problems on defense.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This.

You anti-Cloders are in for a real treat if they fire him.

Why does everything have to be "anti" this player, "anti" this coach?

You can still like something or someone and know it's time to move on.

As for if it's time to move on from Claude, we need to truly rebuild. Otherwise, I'm not sure Claude is going to get much more out of this team than he did without a major overhaul of the defensive core. Which honestly, I'm not sure how we do without moving some of our core out or giving up too much of the future, which Sweeney desperately worked on building back up.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Go back in time and look at how each season except 2011 - and I'll excuse 2008 - have ended.

So making the Stanley Cup Final and taking a superior team to six games with a team injured to the extent the 2013 Bruins were is a "choking"? :laugh:

And by the way, 2013 is the only time a Claude Julien coached Bruins lost a series in less than seven games. Buncha' chokers!! :laugh:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
This.

You anti-Cloders are in for a real treat if they fire him.

some people don't remember how bad it was and what it was like for many many years before getting a real coach in CJ.

Grass isn't always Greener. Most of the time it ends up being you trade your nice green lawn for a burnt up brown patch.

This place will be interesting this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad