Management Claude Julien - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Majority of what Sweeney has done is great.... definitely some hiccups though. Hayes is ****ing brutal. I can't watch him play another year in the spoked B. Even his fight angered me last night. Not trading Loui IMO is a mistake regardless of whether or not we make the playoffs and it will be even worse if we resign him if we miss the playoffs. Aside from that trade and non trade though, I'm all on board with what Don is doing. Unfortunately even after the massive overhaul his job is not done... big time work is still needed in the offseason. If he can fix the D (hopefully Chara/Seids retire) and get Vesey that would be a start.

Majority here think Claude is gone if we miss the playoffs again?

I think Sweeney has done all he could do at this stage, and I believe this summer he`ll go aggressively again, ridding himself of "problems", unfortunately, I don`t believe firing Julien is wise but that`s just me, but he`ll all but be gone IMO, especially if they miss the playoffs. I pity the next coach, some large shoes to fill

Sweeney inherited a mess, his cleaning of that mess and attempts to reconstruct things only begun last summer, we`ll see an interesting lineup next year, it`ll be a fun summer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's one of the problems. He doesn't coach to win games. He coaches not to lose them. I don't have an issue with this style depending on the situation, but Clode seems to do it all the time, even in games they have to win.

Last night, case in point.

They needed to win that game before the SO and he glues the two guys who actually played well for 60 minutes (and are offensively inclined) to the bench in OT.

Why?

This is exactly right Joe. He isn't trying to win a game, he's trying to mitigate mistakes so they don't lose. Last night was a prime example. The only goal they could muster happened because Carolina had a huge brain fart. Other than that one miscue, they had zero chance to actually score. They didn't even try to win it in regulation. Their big surge after the Loui goal? Getting outshot and outplayed in the third period, despite the tying goal and the emotional lift that comes with a goal of that magnitude.

This was their playoff life dangling in the wind, and they could barely manage 7 shots in that period. Says everything I need to know that the players are done with him. They're ready to roll over and go home and start over next year with a new coach.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I think he's gone, think he shouldn't be, it should be Neely, but you can't miss the playoffs in back to back years, especially when you have huge collapses in the last 15 games of the year like these last two seasons. Its not like the roster is totally full of scrubs. The team should have made the playoffs this year.

Marchand is 0/3 this year, but he's you're best goal scorer. He's a sniper. He's got hands. Thats a small sample size to base on whether to put him in a S/O or not. I think David Bowie was still alive last time Krug scored. He can't put the puck in the net.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Claude should not be gone. I would love it if Cam and or Sweeney came out and said he would be back next year. You really want Chara to retire and leave the D to Krug and a bunch of bottom pairing d-men??:amazed: You think this year was bad, wait until Chara is gone and see what's left.

Being able to allocate Charas salary elsewhere is whats going to allow us to retool the D... and yes I do hope he retires for that reason. He's expensive, old, and his play is declining rapidly... I can't image how much more his game will regress next year. Yes, he still has his moments, like saving us a point last night when Rask let one trickle through, I'm not denying that... but it would be AWESOME for the team if he and Seids hung them up. Those were two bad contracts Chia signed them to and we are being hurt by it right now.

Also, you have to assume "replacements" are brought in. Its not like Chara and Seids would leave and they'd roll out Krug, Morrow, McQ, Miller, Miller and Trotman.

I'm wishy washy on Claude. I like the guy, I respect what he's done here and the fact that he's brought us a cup, but there are certain things that irk me. Fresh in the memory is obviously the choices in the shootout last night.... leaving Marchy/Krejci/Vatrano on the bench. If there is someone out there they feel could lead this team in a good direction (look what Sullivan is doing with the Pens..... is there another guy out there who could do the same?) then I think you have to explore it. It's been a long ride and it may be back to back years golfing with horrendous collapses down the stretch

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Chara's almost 40 with a lot of miles on him, he's almost done - time to face that fact and do whats necessary to get this defense to respectability.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Please tell me there's a chance, however small it is, that Neely loses his job if this team misses the playoffs. I know this is the thread where the coach gets blamed for everything, but I'm not sure where to put my complaint. I want Neely gone. He never should have gotten this job and I still have no idea why he keeps it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Please tell me there's a chance, however small it is, that Neely loses his job if this team misses the playoffs. I know this is the thread where the coach gets blamed for everything, but I'm not sure where to put my complaint. I want Neely gone. He never should have gotten this job and I still have no idea why he keeps it.

Why would Neely be fired?

Seriously. Explain it to me.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Gonna be said when he's let go soon. Real sad.

Opinions vary, 2 years of failure has him on the ropes and rightfully so. Last night's OT and shootout choices has pushed the hot seat to a volcano eruption. Like others have mentioned, Kevin Dineen should be a strong candidate, would be thrilled with his hiring, would rejuvenate the franchise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Zero he's safer than you could imagine

Neely stopping that trade with Arizona should get him extended

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I love the fact that people bring up Neely needing to be fired, when nobody knows exactly what he actually has any say in. It's his fault they couldn't must any effort last night, when they know what's on the line? I'll even say it's not Clodes fault either. It's obvious what needed to be done last night. The team still has too many floaters. Still much work for Sweeney to do. I wouldn't Fire Clode now though. Wrong time. We still don't know what this team is going to be.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
This was their playoff life dangling in the wind, and they could barely manage 7 shots in that period. Says everything I need to know that the players are done with him. They're ready to roll over and go home and start over next year with a new coach.

If there are players that are willing to miss the post-season just because they're "done with" the coach, I hope that Sweeney & company trade them this off-season, too. That'd be a sad indictment on the players in the locker room, if they're apathetic about making the playoffs just because they're not happy with their coach. I'd shed zero tears if the team traded away players with that lack of passion. Them being so willing to roll over & go home says more about the guys on the ice than it does the guy behind the bench.

Although it calls back to how badly the team fell apart because they were so sad that their good buddy Boychuck was traded. People threw that as an excuse for months after the guy was moved, so maybe the players in the locker room really are that emo, and it's just something that I should accept.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Note: I do not agree with this logic, and it is not a defense, it is a possible explanation. End disclaimer.

One theory on shootouts is the other team has a book on the top 5-6 shooters, they study them up down and all around, so if you get past the first three, it may be just as good to throw someone out there that nobody has a book on. There's no doubt in my mind that is what Peters did with Hanifin, and he made Rask look like a Pee Wee. Krug . . . not so much.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I love the fact that people bring up Neely needing to be fired, when nobody knows exactly what he actually has any say in. It's his fault they couldn't must any effort last night, when they know what's on the line? I'll even say it's not Clodes fault either. It's obvious what needed to be done last night. The team still has too many floaters. Still much work for Sweeney to do. I wouldn't Fire Clode now though. Wrong time. We still don't know what this team is going to be.

People just want someone to blame. This team has warts, we knew that coming into the season. It was the hope of many, that the kids would get a chance (and they did), and that our team would be competitive night in and night out (and they have been). I am a little upset that the FO decided to be buyers at the deadline, but given the standings at the time, they had to. I think this team has a real chance to turn it around next season

For the record, I am not a fan of Clode behind the bench. I dislike the third man up high approach to offense. I am not the biggest fan of the passive box+1 played in the defensive end. That being said, Clode has the team playing the system, and no matter how much I personally dislike it, the proof is in the numbers. His system works.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This is exactly right Joe. He isn't trying to win a game, he's trying to mitigate mistakes so they don't lose. Last night was a prime example. The only goal they could muster happened because Carolina had a huge brain fart. Other than that one miscue, they had zero chance to actually score. They didn't even try to win it in regulation. Their big surge after the Loui goal? Getting outshot and outplayed in the third period, despite the tying goal and the emotional lift that comes with a goal of that magnitude.

This country club atmosphere has to go.With Chiarelli being sacrificed as the only fall guy nothing has changed. Veterans must go, and a ruthless coach is needed. That's why an external GM would have been good instead of one of Chiralli's yes men.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This country club atmosphere has to go.With Chiarelli being sacrificed as the only fall guy nothing has changed. Veterans must go, and a ruthless coach is needed. That's why an external GM would have been good instead of one of Chiralli's yes men.

Where is the evidence of this "country club atmosphere"? Give me one example that is not a figment of your imagination. Just one.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

There isn't a country club atmosphere. When you don't have the horses, you simply don't have the horses. This team has done very well given the roster it has. Did you honestly expect this team to be competing for a playoff spot after trading Lucic and Hamilton for futures?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Being able to allocate Charas salary elsewhere is whats going to allow us to retool the D... and yes I do hope he retires for that reason. He's expensive, old, and his play is declining rapidly... I can't image how much more his game will regress next year. Yes, he still has his moments, like saving us a point last night when Rask let one trickle through, I'm not denying that... but it would be AWESOME for the team if he and Seids hung them up. Those were two bad contracts Chia signed them to and we are being hurt by it right now.

Also, you have to assume "replacements" are brought in. Its not like Chara and Seids would leave and they'd roll out Krug, Morrow, McQ, Miller, Miller and Trotman.

I'm wishy washy on Claude. I like the guy, I respect what he's done here and the fact that he's brought us a cup, but there are certain things that irk me. Fresh in the memory is obviously the choices in the shootout last night.... leaving Marchy/Krejci/Vatrano on the bench. If there is someone out there they feel could lead this team in a good direction (look what Sullivan is doing with the Pens..... is there another guy out there who could do the same?) then I think you have to explore it. It's been a long ride and it may be back to back years golfing with horrendous collapses down the stretch

You need salary to retool the D?

Start with finding takers for the combined 6.75 million being paid to Seidenberg and McQuaid.

This team's biggest issue (by far) is the capability and quality of the D-corps.

Yet half the board is begging Chara (still this team's best D-man even if he's not a No.1 anymore) to retire or accept a trade elsewhere.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Opinions vary, 2 years of failure has him on the ropes and rightfully so. Last night's OT and shootout choices has pushed the hot seat to a volcano eruption. Like others have mentioned, Kevin Dineen should be a strong candidate, would be thrilled with his hiring, would rejuvenate the franchise.
So, you'd like to jettison a Stanley Cup-winning coach who has more wins than anyone in the history of the franchise for a guy that has a losing record as an NHL Head Coach?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So, you'd like to jettison a Stanley Cup-winning coach who has more wins than anyone in the history of the franchise for a guy that has a losing record as an NHL Head Coach?

Randy Carlyle has a Stanley Cup too. Based on this logic if Claude was fired Carlyle should be candidate No.1 as he's the most recent cup winning unemployed coach.

Not advocating for Julien's firing but if he was Dineen is a very legit candidate.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Emphasis on bolded. Who are they?

Exactly!

Sweeney wants Julien to play an up tempo skill game but he has yet to give him the players that can do that consistently. The roster is basically in no-man's land- some are tough/slow types, some are skill/fast types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad