Management Claude Julien - Mod Warning post 643

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We just suffered through two years of Dave "Borowiecki on the First Line" Cameron. At this point I'd settle for anyone with actual NHL experience.

Then you'll be used to head scratching lines. :laugh:

This is a coach who last year used Chris Kelly on the first line when David Krejci was out hurt, instead of elevating Ryan Spooner to that role. This is a guy who used PJ Axelsson on the top line, despite him being devoid of any offensive talent.

He likes to mitigate his risk by balancing out the offensive players on a line with a defensive guy. So every line has basically 2 forwards and 3 defensmen. So if watching an odd man rush suddenly become a 2 on 2 when a guy like Chris Kelly decides to cheat back and cover on d is your cup of tea, you can take Claude.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Did you really expect Chia to right that ship in 1 year?

Lonnie Expects instant results all the time.

People forget it took Chia a while to put the plan in place here as well.

1st year we missed the playoffs
each year after the team never took a step back until 2012 after winning the cup the year before.

It takes time to put your plan in place. I give the same slack to Donny. I have no problem with missing the playoff this year based on the moves he made. I now expect to make progress each and every year going forward.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
You should of spend more time thinking about the bolded.
That is so wrong it's not even funny.

In terms of the Bruins' having young talent or that Claude works better with vets than he does with kids?

If it's the former, the Bruins have a few more issues than the guy behind the bench.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
probably upper management trying to convince Julien to resign as opposed to having to fire him. Perhaps another role in the organization or they are getting the watch that they bought for him appraised to see the value of it, which is taking some time to get the appraised value of .

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did you really expect Chia to right that ship in 1 year?

Right the ship?? Really?? I fully expect him to make it even worse, if you want to know the truth. The guy is a fraud as a GM. The only thing worse than his propensity to overpay role players is the volume with which he hands out NTC's to middling players.

Make no mistake about it. This team is still reeling from his blatant cap mismanagement and his sub par player evaluations.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie Expects instant results all the time.

People forget it took Chia a while to put the plan in place here as well.

1st year we missed the playoffs
each year after the team never took a step back until 2012 after winning the cup the year before.

It takes time to put your plan in place. I give the same slack to Donny. I have no problem with missing the playoff this year based on the moves he made. I now expect to make progress each and every year going forward.

Sports is a what have you done lately type of business, no? And long term patience does not really happen in a results oriented business like this. It's not me. It's the mere truth of the situation. If Sweeney fires Claude, his neck is next on the chopping block next year if they miss. It's the nature of the sport.

Chia's efforts were sabotaged by his own stupidity. His choice for coach was a train wreck and then he made the cap issues worse by trading prospects for Manny Fernandez and his overpriced at the time contract.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
In terms of the Bruins' having young talent or that Claude works better with vets than he does with kids?

If it's the former, the Bruins have a few more issues than the guy behind the bench.

The guy behind the bench was never an issue. Except for a few fans.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
FRI APR 1, 2016 - Bruins vs. Blues: The Bruins are up 5-2 at the end of the 2nd period. Doug Jarvis is interviewed at halftime saying that what they did well was getting pucks on net, and their game plan in the 3rd is to get pucks deep and slow the opposing team in the neutral zone. The Blues come fighting back, but he Bruins hold on the lead for a 6-5 win.

THU APR 7, 2016 - Red Wings vs. Bruins: The Bruins fight for their life for a playoff spot and impose their will on the Red Wings. They did not let up all game and continued putting pressure on the Red Wings by putting pucks on net and attacking the offensive zone. Bruins win 5-2

SAT APR 9, 2016 - Senators vs. Bruins: The Bruins strike first but are outworked by a less talented Senators team. Houda was interviewed at one point and said they need to make more D-D passes and capitalize on Ottawa's mistakes. Bruins lose 6-1.

Did this team even have a system in place this season? There were games this year the Bruins played similarly like they did against Detroit and in more times than not, they were and looked like the superior team. In other games this season, we saw the Bruins play like they did against the Blues and against Ottawa. Passive, defensive play which resulted in more pressure on a weak, not so talented defensive unit, which in turn resulted in turnovers, breakdowns, and usually more times than not, the opposing team scoring a goal.

That is the problem folks. Yes, we can point to players on this team that are at fault, yes we can say there was a lack of talent, but to say the coaching was not a factor, in my opinion, is disingenuous to say. There is no reason why the Bruins couldn't try to emulate the same play style like they did against Detroit all season, since they did in previous games this season. I can't think of a reason why this team didn't play the same way they did against Detroit when they faced Ottawa. What I do know are the coaches' comments in the games I listed above that resulted in the Bruins looking like garbage. If the Bruins played like they did against Detroit against teams like the Devils or Hurricanes, we would be in the playoffs right now. The worst thing about this is that the Bruins did show that style in other games this season. It's why Sweeney bought at the deadline. He saw how this team could play so he added. The problem was the consistency. The last couple of days, Beleskey and even Rask hinted at the inconsistency in this team's game. I felt like in the last stretch of the season, Claude changed his system by period. The team as currently constituted did better playing as aggressors in the offensive and defensive zones rather than focusing defensively against Ottawa, like in the 3rd period against St. Louis, etc. I like Claude and appreciate what he has done here, but it's time for a change.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sports is a what have you done lately type of business, no? And long term patience does not really happen in a results oriented business like this. It's not me. It's the mere truth of the situation. If Sweeney fires Claude, his neck is next on the chopping block next year if they miss. It's the nature of the sport.

Chia's efforts were sabotaged by his own stupidity. His choice for coach was a train wreck and then he made the cap issues worse by trading prospects for Manny Fernandez and his overpriced at the time contract.

Disagree- being GM is about improving the roster and pipeline in a sustainable way.
They could miss next year but be much better composed as an organization going forward. In his first year he took big strides in untying some of the knots Chia left them in- and he stacked the prospect pool without a fall off on the ice. This next year he needs to fundamentally address the defense (which may include the guys in net). If he can do that he sticks for at least another year playoffs or no.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

Julien did chicken soup out of chicken ****.
Everyone except for a few Bruins fans think he his at least a top 5 coach in the NHL.
Julien would do great back home where he has the respect of the hockey fans.

Good, go let him have his respect somewhere else.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Seriously, all this Ottawa fan presence should tell Bruins fans that it would be a bad idea to let him go.

But, I get the change of scenario thing too.

Considering the Senators track record under Murray/Dorion in hiring coaches, Bruins fans have nothing to worry about when/if CJ goes to Ottawa.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Love the Sens fans coming in and smelling blood in the water. Similar to Oiler fans who were giddy about getting Chia to run their show last year. How'd that work out for them? Second to last in the entire league and another lottery pick this year? Senator fans, be careful with what you ask for...

The Oilers could have prime Scotty Bowman behind the bench, and Sam Pollock running the show and they would still lose the plot. It's just what that franchise does.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

only for the short sighted. Sports is about getting better every year on the way to the cup/championship. Fan logic is what have you done for me lately.

The leafs tired to do it with the what have you done for me latly type of business model for years with no results. they finally realized what the right way to do it is and embarked on a long term model. I think they will do it right with this and they will be a good organization once again in the near future.

When you make knee jerk reactions and fire and hire based on what did you do for me last year only you are in for long term pain. We did it for years here and I have no desire to go back to that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Disagree- being GM is about improving the roster and pipeline in a sustainable way.
They could miss next year but be much better composed as an organization going forward. In his first year he took big strides in untying some of the knots Chia left them in- and he stacked the prospect pool without a fall off on the ice. This next year he needs to fundamentally address the defense (which may include the guys in net). If he can do that he sticks for at least another year playoffs or no.

So running a team, the goal is to amass as many prospects as possible and not try to win a championship?? Weird. I had it backwards, I guess...:naughty:

As for the rest, you said he took big strides in fixing Chia's mistakes. Like what? You also said he stacked the prospect pool. How do you know that? Just drafting a quantity of players because you have a slew of picks doesn't mean you've done anything other than execute on said picks. We as fans won't know for a while if any of these guys will even come close to panning out.

So again, I have to ask, what exactly did he do? He moved Lucic and Hamilton for futures, weakening the roster in the short term, for unknowns in the possible future.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
The guy behind the bench was never an issue. Except for a few fans.

And the guy behind the bench never did anything wrong according to a band of his devout supporters. But don't let that excuse the complete and utter collapses over the past two seasons or the failure to adapt in the non cup playoff seasons when teams figured out how to neutralize his system with a hard two man forecheck. Its just fortunate that the team was stacked in 2011 with players that fit his system and even then it took game 7 miracles to pull it off.

So yes Ottawa fans if you have a team stacked to play his system , he'll work out fine for you. If not you'l hear the lament of the B's fans - if only Claude had - blah blah blah.

When you start making if only excuses about a coach , its time to change the coach.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Well Julien loved Kevan Miller on the 1st pair here so chances are he'd be a big fan of Borowiecki.

Slow, physical, no puck skills, he'd be a Claude binkie for sure.

He did play him first pairing too but were pissed because he played him 1 st line left wing....

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Claude needs to go. Sweeney should have pulled the plug last year. He was close. But he gave him another chance and he failed.

Something is wrong with this team. They have some pretty good talent. But yes, we all know they need some help on the back end.

But it's time for a new coach that can bring along the young talented players and bring a system that is more an upbeat tempo of hockey.

Claude's system is not like some of the top teams. Puck possession is so important.

Claude should be dismissed and wait for a team to sign him up as their next coach so the Bruins can pick up a 2nd rd pick.

Claude will bring back more that Loui.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So running a team, the goal is to amass as many prospects as possible and not try to win a championship?? Weird. I had it backwards, I guess...:naughty:

As for the rest, you said he took big strides in fixing Chia's mistakes. Like what? You also said he stacked the prospect pool. How do you know that? Just drafting a quantity of players because you have a slew of picks doesn't mean you've done anything other than execute on said picks. We as fans won't know for a while if any of these guys will even come close to panning out.

So again, I have to ask, what exactly did he do? He moved Lucic and Hamilton for futures, weakening the roster in the short term, for unknowns in the possible future.
No, the goal is to improve the roster and the pipeline. The organization was handcuffed by the cap, upcoming RFA/UFA contracts and young players who didn't want to be here. If you really don't think he made strides in fixing those problems, or really think anyone is saying he shouldn't be trying to win a championship then you're just looking to argue for the sake of arguing.

Last edited:

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
Claude needs to go. Sweeney should have pulled the plug last year. He was close. But he gave him another chance and he failed.

Something is wrong with this team. They have some pretty good talent. But yes, we all know they need some help on the back end.

But it's time for a new coach that can bring along the young talented players and bring a system that is more an upbeat tempo of hockey.

Claude's system is not like some of the top teams. Puck possession is so important.

Claude should be dismissed and wait for a team to sign him up as their next coach so the Bruins can pick up a 2nd rd pick.

Claude will bring back more that Loui.

There is no more compensation for coaches/executives

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, the goal is to improve the roster and the pipeline. The organization was handcuffed by the cap, upcoming RFA/UFA contracts and young players who didn't want to be here. If you really don't think he made strides in fixing those problems, or really think anyone is saying he shouldn't be trying to win a championship then you're just looking to argue for the sake of arguing.

And I'm still waiting on you to show me how he improved the roster this season. He didn't, he in fact made it worse in the short term.

But here, show me how that happened, because I must have missed it.

Out: Lucic, Smith, Soderberg, and Hamilton.

In: Rinaldo, Beleskey, Hayes, Ferraro, and then Liles and Stemp at the deadline.

Not sure how you can honestly look at the first group and the second group and determine they've in fact improved the roster year over year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
FRI APR 1, 2016 - Bruins vs. Blues: The Bruins are up 5-2 at the end of the 2nd period. Doug Jarvis is interviewed at halftime saying that what they did well was getting pucks on net, and their game plan in the 3rd is to get pucks deep and slow the opposing team in the neutral zone. The Blues come fighting back, but he Bruins hold on the lead for a 6-5 win.

THU APR 7, 2016 - Red Wings vs. Bruins: The Bruins fight for their life for a playoff spot and impose their will on the Red Wings. They did not let up all game and continued putting pressure on the Red Wings by putting pucks on net and attacking the offensive zone. Bruins win 5-2

SAT APR 9, 2016 - Senators vs. Bruins: The Bruins strike first but are outworked by a less talented Senators team. Houda was interviewed at one point and said they need to make more D-D passes and capitalize on Ottawa's mistakes. Bruins lose 6-1.

Did this team even have a system in place this season? There were games this year the Bruins played similarly like they did against Detroit and in more times than not, they were and looked like the superior team. In other games this season, we saw the Bruins play like they did against the Blues and against Ottawa. Passive, defensive play which resulted in more pressure on a weak, not so talented defensive unit, which in turn resulted in turnovers, breakdowns, and usually more times than not, the opposing team scoring a goal.

That is the problem folks. Yes, we can point to players on this team that are at fault, yes we can say there was a lack of talent, but to say the coaching was not a factor, in my opinion, is disingenuous to say. There is no reason why the Bruins couldn't try to emulate the same play style like they did against Detroit all season, since they did in previous games this season. I can't think of a reason why this team didn't play the same way they did against Detroit when they faced Ottawa. What I do know are the coaches' comments in the games I listed above that resulted in the Bruins looking like garbage. If the Bruins played like they did against Detroit against teams like the Devils or Hurricanes, we would be in the playoffs right now. The worst thing about this is that the Bruins did show that style in other games this season. It's why Sweeney bought at the deadline. He saw how this team could play so he added. The problem was the consistency. The last couple of days, Beleskey and even Rask hinted at the inconsistency in this team's game. I felt like in the last stretch of the season, Claude changed his system by period. The team as currently constituted did better playing as aggressors in the offensive and defensive zones rather than focusing defensively against Ottawa, like in the 3rd period against St. Louis, etc. I like Claude and appreciate what he has done here, but it's time for a change.

This is exactly right. Plenty of blame to go around, but as a coach who has lived on the edge of being fired nearly his entire time here, it's simply his time to go. When he needed to get the players to dig deep, they did the exact opposite. When he needed to shake things up and change up the approach, he didn't. That kind of collapse happens once, you can write it off as an anomaly, but to have it happen in successive seasons? That's inexcusable and the coach has to bear the brunt of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad