Claude Julien May Be Coaching To Save His Job

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ever the pessimist. I mean, it has to be so they have a built in "fall guy", right? It couldn't possibly be something as simple as there was not a better candidate available at the time, because that wouldn't fit the narrative :laugh:

Look at what's transpired this off season: Fired the GM. New GM hired. Cleared out key members of team. Brought in a slew of new players. New GM stated they were going to change their entire transition game and move to a counter strike attack to generate offense. Kept old coach whose system is a polar opposite of what GM stated he wants. So the big question is which one is the anomaly here?

At the end of the day, there's a reason he was retained. You believe it's because of his track record here. I think it's because Neely felt some heat through the media because of last year and wasn't ready to do that again this year, so he kept a ready made fall guy on hand. Happens all the time. If things go badly, and if we're being honest, the team has regressed (even from last year), so this is a very real possibility, Neely would be under scrutiny for 2 very down seasons in a row. But if he keeps Julien around and things go badly, he can say he tried to be loyal to a cup winning coach, but that his system wasn't flexible enough to support the new style they wanted to play, so he has to go. Ready made fall guy. Not only does Neely feel zero pressure, he gets to spin it to the media and fans that he was being loyal and tried to do right by a long tenured and successful coach.

And if Julien surprises the world and actually can adjust his system to fit what they want, he and Sweeney look brilliant for retaining him. It's literally a win win for them. It's also very obvious what's at play here and why Julien was kept.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep.

We already know they were thinking about canning him but that's a lot of money to eat and pretty much admits they're not going for it this season. Can't do that. So instead Sweeney can say we're making the playoffs, watches his team play like **** and then shrug his shoulders and gives Clode the boot and says "we'll get em next season." He keeps his job, he gets rid of Clode and he buys himself another season.

He knows the team is going to be bad. It would look bad for the team to play crappy under a coach he picked.

Exactly. Neely fired PC and hired Sweeney. If Sweeney replaced Julien and his chosen successor failed, it reflects poorly on Neely and Sweeney. Even worse if PC straightens out Edmonton.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Look at what's transpired this off season: Fired the GM. New GM hired. Cleared out key members of team. Brought in a slew of new players. New GM stated they were going to change their entire transition game and move to a counter strike attack to generate offense. Kept old coach whose system is a polar opposite of what GM stated he wants. So the big question is which one is the anomaly here?

At the end of the day, there's a reason he was retained. You believe it's because of his track record here. I think it's because Neely felt some heat through the media because of last year and wasn't ready to do that again this year, so he kept a ready made fall guy on hand. Happens all the time. If things go badly, and if we're being honest, the team has regressed (even from last year), so this is a very real possibility, Neely would be under scrutiny for 2 very down seasons in a row. But if he keeps Julien around and things go badly, he can say he tried to be loyal to a cup winning coach, but that his system wasn't flexible enough to support the new style they wanted to play, so he has to go. Ready made fall guy. Not only does Neely feel zero pressure, he gets to spin it to the media and fans that he was being loyal and tried to do right by a long tenured and successful coach.

And if Julien surprises the world and actually can adjust his system to fit what they want, he and Sweeney look brilliant for retaining him. It's literally a win win for them. It's also very obvious what's at play here and why Julien was kept.

Lonnie, you and I can look at the same situation and get two completely different things out of it. It's not because one of us is smarter (though I suspect I am ;):laugh:). It's simply because as long as I have read you on this board, you tend to take the negative or cynical POV nine times out of ten. That's fine, and you are welcome to this skewed view of the world, but I don't have to share it.

I just have a hard time believing that Sweeney and Neely were sitting there evaluating the coaches and their overriding thought process was not, who is the best guy for the job, or the one that will get us back on track the quickest...but which one is going to provide us with the best "out" around Christmas time. That would be idiotic and I believe that Sweeney is smarter than that. I don't doubt for a second that Sweeney is prepared to fire Clode if the need arises or that he may have doubts that Clode can do the job. I just think that when they looked at Julien's resume and compared it to the available replacements, Clode was the best guy for the time being and for the immediate future.

It may be "obvious" what's going on here to you because you are wearing the "Lonnie Cynical Goggles", but that doesn't make it so. I'm hoping that B's management is a little better than that, and until they show me otherwise, I will give them that benefit.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie, you and I can look at the same situation and get two completely different things out of it. It's not because one of us is smarter (though I suspect I am ;):laugh:). It's simply because as long as I have read you on this board, you tend to take the negative or cynical POV nine times out of ten. That's fine, and you are welcome to this skewed view of the world, but I don't have to share it.

I just have a hard time believing that Sweeney and Neely were sitting there evaluating the coaches and their overriding thought process was not, who is the best guy for the job, or the one that will get us back on track the quickest...but which one is going to provide us with the best "out" around Christmas time. That would be idiotic and I believe that Sweeney is smarter than that. I don't doubt for a second that Sweeney is prepared to fire Clode if the need arises or that he may have doubts that Clode can do the job. I just think that when they looked at Julien's resume and compared it to the available replacements, Clode was the best guy for the time being and for the immediate future.

It may be "obvious" what's going on here to you because you are wearing the "Lonnie Cynical Goggles", but that doesn't make it so. I'm hoping that B's management is a little better than that, and until they show me otherwise, I will give them that benefit.

You say I'm cynical, yet I keep coming back and following this team year after year. So I have to either be crazy or believe in them. In terms of my view being cynical, I disagree. I just tend to be honest and real (maybe to a fault) about where they're at in my opinion. If that comes off as negative, so be it. I also tend to not believe the stories that teams (not just the Bruins) float out in the media, because most of that crap is self serving nonsense and agenda driven. Like today, I certainly don't believe Claude is possible of actual change. And I don't think Sweeney's first choice to coach this team. Yet that's what we're supposed to believe. If you want to do that, have at it. I prefer to pass on that noise. :naughty:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
You say I'm cynical, yet I keep coming back and following this team year after year. So I have to either be crazy or believe in them. In terms of my view being cynical, I disagree. I just tend to be honest and real (maybe to a fault) about where they're at in my opinion. If that comes off as negative, so be it. I also tend to not believe the stories that teams (not just the Bruins) float out in the media, because most of that crap is self serving nonsense and agenda driven. Like today, I certainly don't believe Claude is possible of actual change. And I don't think Sweeney's first choice to coach this team. Yet that's what we're supposed to believe. If you want to do that, have at it. I prefer to pass on that noise. :naughty:

oh oh pick me pick me I know the answer to this one.

:loony:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Oh, the cynicism and distrust....Lonnie reminds me of myself discussing the subject of marriage! :laugh:

But, if I honestly felt that the President and new GM of a team ever even considered keeping a coach on board for the sole purpose of giving themselves a fall guy in case the team falters, I would not even consider rooting for that team, until they were both history.

They kept him because there were no better candidates.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Oh, the cynicism and distrust....Lonnie reminds me of myself discussing the subject of marriage! :laugh:

But, if I honestly felt that the President and new GM of a team ever even considered keeping a coach on board for the sole purpose of giving themselves a fall guy in case the team falters, I would not even consider rooting for that team, until they were both history.

I don't think it was a "let's keep Clode so we can fire him" point blank. I think that Sweeney and Neely were both very disenchanted with Clode, particularly after last season. As Lonnie explained Neely got a lot of heat last season and he knows it's not going away this season.

After Dougie asked out or Sweeney realized he was likely to leave, I'm sure Sweeney and Neely knew the team was not going to be very good. But they can't say they're not reaching the playoffs (see Jacobs and the fact we're basically spending to the cap) and they know missing is going to reflect poorly on them. Clode is a good coach, he just got an extension, there were no clearly better candidates and Clode is already somewhat on the hot seat. I think those factors all led to the decision to keep him.

I'm sure they want him to succeed and make something of the team, but I think they also know the team looks pretty freaking bad on paper, the East is getting a lot better and there's a big chance we're going to suck. They already blamed Chiarelli for last season (which I don't disagree with) and know they can blame Clode for this season if need be.

I like Clode - I think he's a very good coach. And I'm not even criticizing Neely and Sweeney - I think this team needs a transition year and if they have to get it by scapegoating Clode so be it. But I definitely think he will be looking for a new job if the Bruins fail to impress regardless of whether it's a result of his coaching.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Great Coach YES, however I no longer think he is a great coach for the Bruins. For a veteran team yes , for a team tring to be more offensive ,with younger players NO

I disagree. I think Claude is exactly what this young team needs. His steady hand will get them into the playoffs. Having said that, if Chara and Seids are a train wreck, no coach can help them.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Yeah, besides being completely speculative (and self-serving), LSCII's scenario doesn't seem to fit confident individuals like Sweeney & Neely. They are far more likely to think that they know exactly what needs to be done and don't even consider possible failure. Also, as former players I'm sure they realize the instability problems an in-season coaching change would have.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
After a disappointing end to last season, the Bruins saw marked changes on and off the ice. Claude was one of the members left unscathed. But is he safe? Comment and let me know if he is or not! If he isn't, does he get fired and when?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/08/claude-julien-facing-pressure/

Stanley cup winning coaches get hired. Juliens rep is every bit as good as the guys in toronto and edmonton. I think julien would get a nice raise and have his pick of top teams to work for when he leaves boston.

He coaches the way he coaches... defense first. It requires a buy in from his team and it doesnt excite the fans but its a winning formula.

Chances are he has been here too long. This message wears thin eventually and coaches dont normally stay in one place this long. But coaching to save his job??? Please

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
As far as I know generally every year 28 coaches are coaching to save their jobs.

Top two are usually pretty bullet proof.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
All coaches coach for their jobs every season.

Frankly I don't see anyone out there who has been as successful as Claude Julien in the NHL that is available to coach the Bruins.

Julien is a winner and he plays his team to win. That's how he saves his job. Does he have the horses to win? That's the question.

Posters are gonna want to see him go regardless, in spite of his successes, especially as they stack up against their own. Just the way this place swings.

His system with our defense is going to be really, really ugly

Claude has a problem adapting to players that wheel and deal. He wants everybody throwing bodychecks while some players know only to skate circles.

The thing with Spooner finally sticking is not all on Claude being a good coach. Injuries and management are there too.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't think they kept Claude only as a Cris Carter Memorial Fall Guy, but I think it was definitely part of the thought process.

He's a good coach.
We just extended him three years.
You only have so many bullets as a GM to tinker with the product in-season.
If things start poorly, and they might, this is a move we can make then.

Hell, it would be insulting to think Neely and Sweeney didn't think of all of this.

markrc99

Jun 28, 2015
Foothills of W ME.
Interesting conversation, elsewhere, some members are confident that players like Krecji, Chara, Seidenberg & Kelly are going to rise from the ashes and play at or near the level they did X number of years ago. That older core, they're the ones setting the tone in that locker room. Seems as though, if that's going to happen then Julian is the right choice as coach. This group has been to the pinnacle of their profession, forever tied to the lore of the Bruins organization, showered with all the recognition and accolades that come with it and they've made their money. But they're no longer that team, even their arch-rival has their number, that's the mindset. Now physically, they're older, having to play with more aches and pain, nagging injuries. You couple those factors together and the fate of the team is often beyond the capability of the coach. What if the older players still don't respond, or they can't? What if the younger players are given more time on the ice and show promise under Julian? What should happen then? Last year the team kept making mini runs and then out of nowhere would lose to teams like Buffalo and Florida. That's not the coach...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
As far as I know generally every year 28 coaches are coaching to save their jobs.

Top two are usually pretty bullet proof.

You got it. Every coach is trying to keep his job by winning. I don't like juliens style, but I hate to say it, it wins. It's probably something that is needed in this transition period.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I don't think they kept Claude only as a Cris Carter Memorial Fall Guy, but I think it was definitely part of the thought process.

He's a good coach.

Hell, it would be insulting to think Neely and Sweeney didn't think of all of this.

To think of the possibility that they may fire him during the season, or at some later point? I agree, of course they've thought of that. Every management group must understand that making changes, including firing the coach is quite likely.

But to think that they've got it in their minds to use him as a scapegoat is what I find insulting.

Perhaps I'm the most naïve person on the planet, but I would never approach a situation that way, so it's difficult for me to believe that they would.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

He's a good coach.

I agree with the bolded for sure. Personally, I feel like the overriding factor was that there was not a better fit out there, but the $$$ had to be a consideration as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad