Claude Julien May Be Coaching To Save His Job

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I get why they kept him, and I can sort of understand. To me, if I were Sweeney, I'd have made the move just to clean house and let the players know everyone is on notice, but that's just me. He kept Claude, and if the team stumbles, it won't be a surprise when they can him. Seems kind of silly if that's what ends up happening. Why keep a guy if you think there's even a slight possibility that he'll be fired before the end of the year? If you have even that small amount of doubt, why not just make the change now instead of belaboring it?

I agree that if the Bruins were going to clean house they should have cleaned house- fire the GM and the coaching staff. Instead they let Julien twist in the wind for nearly two months and it was only when they couldn't find anyone better (because there isn't anyone better who is available) they halfheartedly announced that Julien will be back.

For the life of me I don't understand why Claude Julien didn't tell Jacobs/Neely/Sweeney to go **** themselves and resign. He'd have had a new job 48 hours later at the most.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Would not be surprised to see him gone before Christmas.

I don't think they've provided a roster for this season that's going to work with their goals for the off season especially our transition game. Even the moves I've liked in regards to the forwards come with question marks.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"What were you thinking? How could you do that?"

"Clode."

--------------

"That was pretty stupid. Can you explain this cause I don't get it."

"Clode."

--------------

"What the ****!"

"Clode."

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Boston lets him go he would have a job within a month.

Depending on the timing, possibly sooner than a month

Makes personnel mistakes, show me a coach who hasn`t

Sure the 4th line received too much TOI last year, but this was a cluster_____ of a season and for that team to even be in the conversation for a playoff spot was just short of remarkable

I won`t excuse CJ from all blame, but IMO, the focus, execution,concentration and at times, effort of the players last season aren`t on him

To me, it isn`t a system problem, it`s a personnel problem they had

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I was in favor of giving Julien a mulligan for last season. Chiarelli already had his and looked wickedly unequipped to deal with the roster going forward. But Julien really only has had one particularly bad year where I can pin a lot of the bad on him specifically and that was this last one. I appreciate the vast majority of what he's done in Boston and I believe him to be one of the best coaches in the world.

That said...

I could also see him fired by Thanksgiving. This is a roster in major flux and if the team looks in any way lethargic or particularity disorgainzed out of the gate, it'll be his time to go.

I imagine the start of this season mirroring the dozen games Pat Burns got to start the year when he was fired from Boston. A lot of parallels actually. Both excellent coaches. Both defensive-minded. Both coming off disappointing seasons and both experiencing some major roster turnover (Bourque being traded away the season before Burns' last days). In both situations, it was expected of the coach that he "change his stripes" so to speak and play a more up-tempo style of hockey. Burns couldn't adjust despite being (much like Julien) one of the top coaches of his era.

We'll see how Julien does.

I love this post.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What has convinced people that Mike Milbury actually may return as coach?

Because he said something along the lines of "I'd have to consider it very deeply" when asked by some random reporter if he'd take the job if it was offered.

It has about the same merit as someone telling me we're about to be brought to our knees by the wrath of North Korea.

Agreed.

And I think having Milbury around would make Sweeney & Neely a little uncomfortable in their positions.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Based on what?.....

The stellar work he did with the Isles? :laugh:

Thanks, I have not a good laugh like that in awhile.

Yeah, no chance of egos clashing there.

Or the possibility of Milbury saying anything detrimental about his bosses. After all, Sweeney has been a GM for a few months now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, no chance of egos clashing there.

Or the possibility of Milbury saying anything detrimental about his bosses. After all, Sweeney has been a GM for a few months now.

The Bruins are about as likely to hire me as they are Milbury, and ego has nothing to do with it. I think a far more likely reason than what he will say is the fact that he hasn't been behind a bench in 17 years.

The idea that they would consider hiring Milbury is just plain ridiculous.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Bruins are about as likely to hire me as they are Milbury, and ego has nothing to do with it. I think a far more likely reason than what he will say is the fact that he hasn't been behind a bench in 17 years.

The idea that they would consider hiring Milbury is just plain ridiculous.

Agreed.

That was my point to begin with.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Laviolette would have been perfect here. He wanted it badly. Still hoping it'll happen at some point, but he's got a good gig in Nashville.

I dont see Clode getting past the new year. But I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Laviolette would have been perfect here. He wanted it badly. Still hoping it'll happen at some point, but he's got a good gig in Nashville.

I dont see Clode getting past the new year. But I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

I think a lot depends on what the REAL opinion (not what they say publicly) of the B's FO is of this team. If they sign Franson and DS and Co feel this group is truly playoff worthy, I think Clode could get the axe if they start slow. However, if this is really a "bridge" year in the minds of the FO, he could be here for the duration (as long as he can adapt his style somewhat).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Clode's still here so there's someone besides SweNeeley to hold accountable when the team isn't good.

I said the same thing and a slew of people acted like that was crazy talk. It's not. He's here because he signed that extension and they now have a ready made fall guy (Chris Carter is onto something here) for when this team comes out and stinks on ice. He'll be gone long before Christmas, guaranteed.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I said the same thing and a slew of people acted like that was crazy talk. It's not. He's here because he signed that extension and they now have a ready made fall guy (Chris Carter is onto something here) for when this team comes out and stinks on ice. He'll be gone long before Christmas, guaranteed.

Yep.

We already know they were thinking about canning him but that's a lot of money to eat and pretty much admits they're not going for it this season. Can't do that. So instead Sweeney can say we're making the playoffs, watches his team play like **** and then shrug his shoulders and gives Clode the boot and says "we'll get em next season." He keeps his job, he gets rid of Clode and he buys himself another season.

He knows the team is going to be bad. It would look bad for the team to play crappy under a coach he picked.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Ever the pessimist. I mean, it has to be so they have a built in "fall guy", right? It couldn't possibly be something as simple as there was not a better candidate available at the time, because that wouldn't fit the narrative :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Julien defied Lou Lams and was promptly fired so I would assume that would be the case here if he doesn't loosen up.

Sweeney needs to do his part though and not supply the binkies because Claude will go with what he knows.

I do think that Sweeney likes him and is open to this, but I do think it was good to keep some of the old regime around in case they fall on their face. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad