Claude Julien May Be Coaching To Save His Job

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He should have been fired back when they canned Chiarelli. The fact he's back sets this season up to be an unmitigated train wreck. He's the wrong guy for the job if you take Sweeney's words to be true. Counter strike offense? Rapid transition game? Generating more offense? That's not Claude and that's not his system. A guy who wanted the de to reverse reverse reverse as their main breakout strategy is suddenly going to do a complete 180? Not buying that at all.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He should have been fired back when they canned Chiarelli. The fact he's back sets this season up to be an unmitigated train wreck. He's the wrong guy for the job if you take Sweeney's words to be true. Counter strike offense? Rapid transition game? Generating more offense? That's not Claude and that's not his system. A guy who wanted the de to reverse reverse reverse as their main breakout strategy is suddenly going to do a complete 180? Not buying that at all.

It's not his system because he's never had players to play that system. Let's not assume the guy isn't smart enough to coach a different style. This organization has never had a lineup with him that was suited to play anything but the way they have. Slow, steady defenders with great goaltending and average speed/talent up front. That's not a recipe for anything other than what they've played and played well.

Let's see what he does with the new mandate before we claim to know his coaching limitation. He's earned a little respect. More than a little.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
Despite DS saying playoffs is the goal, this is likely a bridge year. I think Claude survives the season. I can't think of an available suitable replacement at the moment. See who gets fired this season and consider the options. I really think Claude will make changes and give the youngsters playing time. He'll have no choice anyways once the injuries hit. Just an opinion as opposed to knowledge.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Shocking news! :sarcasm:

Last year he was set up to fail by Chiarelli, ditching a top 3 defenseman for nothing immediate and losing Iginla -- naturally keeping Kelly's $3.0 on the books instead, etc.

He made some dumb decisions regarding 4th liners and playing time but if Chiarelli didn't screw up SO badly we'd have been a playoff team easily.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Julien is a great coach but I think it's fair to say his days could be numbered in Boston. Just like Chiarelli, I don't believe Claude would be unemployed very long.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
With so many changes they needed to keep something stable to, in the very least, isolate what variables are and aren't working. They won't tolerate much losing though and if the season starts sailing south he will be one of the first to walk the plank.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We have players who can play that style, different thing is if they will play and are they ready to play, they should be.

If Julien is not willing to change even if he would have the players then it shouldn't take too long for him to get fired.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's not his system because he's never had players to play that system. Let's not assume the guy isn't smart enough to coach a different style. This organization has never had a lineup with him that was suited to play anything but the way they have. Slow, steady defenders with great goaltending and average speed/talent up front. That's not a recipe for anything other than what they've played and played well.

Let's see what he does with the new mandate before we claim to know his coaching limitation. He's earned a little respect. More than a little.

You don't think he was given his kind of players? Really? They have systematically dumped any offensive minded player in favor for grinders over his time here. I find it hard to believe that they would have moved guys like Kessel, Seguin, Wheeler, Versteeg, and Hamilton without some form of agreement on his part. This is the same guy who sat Kessel in the playoffs in favor of Jeremy Reich, ffs. He has a predisposition to grinders and muckers and this roster over his time here has been littered with those kind of players. Gagne over any of their younger guys last year? Ring any bells on that one?

To me, coaching is a year to year kind of gig, it may be a cold reality, but it's true. There's no such thing as earning respect, IMO, because of the very nature of the job. In his cup year, he did some good, some bad, and it worked out. Last year he did some good, some bad, and it didn't. You can argue the percentages if you want, but the fact remains he was too unwilling to vary from his system last year, and too unwilling to incorporate younger guys with more upside, and it ultimately cost the team a playoff birth. I don't think he's incapable of change in general, I just think that any changes he makes will be short term, because at the end of the day, a leopard doesn't change his spots. He is what he is.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Julien is a great coach but I think it's fair to say his days could be numbered in Boston. Just like Chiarelli, I don't believe Claude would be unemployed very long.

Great Coach YES, however I no longer think he is a great coach for the Bruins. For a veteran team yes , for a team tring to be more offensive ,with younger players NO

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Shocking news! :sarcasm:

Last year he was set up to fail by Chiarelli, ditching a top 3 defenseman for nothing immediate and losing Iginla -- naturally keeping Kelly's $3.0 on the books instead, etc.

He made some dumb decisions regarding 4th liners and playing time but if Chiarelli didn't screw up SO badly we'd have been a playoff team easily.

PC's mistakes were compounded by Julien's mistakes, and vice versa. Yes the roster was short in terms of depth, but it was short going into camp to start with, before JB was traded. Julien made those holes worse by steadfastly refusing to inject the bottom of the roster spots with young guys. Something he did over his entire time here. To me, they were both intertwined and caused the failure that last year was. One of the worst decisions he made didn't involve the fourth line. Why did he not at least try Eriksson in a top 6 role? PC said at the start of camp that he thought LE was a prime candidate, yet there Loui was getting rolled out night after night with Soderberg, while the first line had stiffs like Kelly, Griffith and Craig Cunningham getting shots before LE did.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Great Coach YES, however I no longer think he is a great coach for the Bruins. For a veteran team yes , for a team tring to be more offensive ,with younger players NO

Exactly. This type of change goes against the very essence of who he is as a coach. It's the opposite kind of roster that a guy like Julien can be effective with.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All coaches coach for their jobs every season.

Frankly I don't see anyone out there who has been as successful as Claude Julien in the NHL that is available to coach the Bruins.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Julien is a winner and he plays his team to win. That's how he saves his job. Does he have the horses to win? That's the question.

Posters are gonna want to see him go regardless, in spite of his successes, especially as they stack up against their own. Just the way this place swings.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Julien is a winner and he plays his team to win. That's how he saves his job. Does he have the horses to win? That's the question.

Posters are gonna want to see him go regardless, in spite of his successes, especially as they stack up against their own. Just the way this place swings.

Fully agree, we're a lesser team than last year on paper so having success will be a tall order. Julien has been on the chopping block before and came away unscathed so maybe he has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
PC's mistakes were compounded by Julien's mistakes, and vice versa. Yes the roster was short in terms of depth, but it was short going into camp to start with, before JB was traded. Julien made those holes worse by steadfastly refusing to inject the bottom of the roster spots with young guys. Something he did over his entire time here. To me, they were both intertwined and caused the failure that last year was. One of the worst decisions he made didn't involve the fourth line. Why did he not at least try Eriksson in a top 6 role? PC said at the start of camp that he thought LE was a prime candidate, yet there Loui was getting rolled out night after night with Soderberg, while the first line had stiffs like Kelly, Griffith and Craig Cunningham getting shots before LE did.

You can't possibly think they are dumping talented young players in the name of a coach. That is ridiculous. This isn't Scotty Bowman here. Guys like Kessel and Seguin are gone because of an organizational mindset, not something defined by the head coach. That's preposterous.

The head coaches job is to win each night. He's icing the team he thinks gives him a chance to win, and if the organization disagreed they'd fire him. And he knows this. And he knows if he loses they fire him.

This whole line of thinking is so classic Boston. Blame the coach or the goalie for everything. This guy is easily the best coach in our lifetimes here and we still feel the need to complain.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
You can't possibly think they are dumping talented young players in the name of a coach. That is ridiculous. This isn't Scotty Bowman here. Guys like Kessel and Seguin are gone because of an organizational mindset, not something defined by the head coach. That's preposterous.

The head coaches job is to win each night. He's icing the team he thinks gives him a chance to win, and if the organization disagreed they'd fire him. And he knows this. And he knows if he loses they fire him.

This whole line of thinking is so classic Boston. Blame the coach or the goalie for everything. This guy is easily the best coach in our lifetimes here and we still feel the need to complain.

Yup. Best we ever had. Next one will have very big shoes to fill.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
After a disappointing end to last season, the Bruins saw marked changes on and off the ice. Claude was one of the members left unscathed. But is he safe? Comment and let me know if he is or not! If he isn't, does he get fired and when?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/08/claude-julien-facing-pressure/

I wouldn't say he was unscathed as Sweeney certainly let it be known that he wants the team to play a different style than we've seen in the past. Going as for as to say that he and Claude will have a discussion and need to find common ground on this very issue. I think Claude is certainly on notice and if he doesn't see eye to eye with Sweeney on playing style that he'll be looking for a new job by the all-star break. That said, last year had little to do with Claude as the team was gutted and massive cap restraints caused many personnel issues. In the end Chiarelli's trade and cap mishaps were just too much for Claude to overcome and ownership decided to make a change.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
if CJ is canned before year is done I will lose it.

He should've been canned from get go, not chia than you keep him and only give him some months?...

#sweeneylogic

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
All coaches coach for their jobs every season.

Frankly I don't see anyone out there who has been as successful as Claude Julien in the NHL that is available to coach the Bruins.

Agree, Claude did his best coaching last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad