Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Morrow 16:00 TOI
Chiller 15:55
Killer 19:18

So Killer had 3 more points than Chiller in 20 more games and 3 1/2 more minutes a game. Also, I will add that K Miller has more puck luck than any guy on the team.

Pretty sure three of his five goals were going wide, hit someone from the other team and deflected in :laugh:

Pretty sure that is incorrect.

Its the plus/minus that matters, not the production. Clearly C Miller is the better offensive player. But these are defensemen. Meaning D first.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Pretty sure that is incorrect.

Its the plus/minus that matters, not the production. Clearly C Miller is the better offensive player. But these are defensemen. Meaning D first.

You mean the +/- where Kevan is on the ice while Chara passes to Bergy to Marchy and scores , yes those pluses look very good on Kevan's stat sheet. +/- is very unreliable in evaluating a player's value.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You mean the +/- where Kevan is on the ice while Chara passes to Bergy to Marchy and scores , yes those pluses look very good on Kevan's stat sheet. +/- is very unreliable in evaluating a player's value.

+/- looked at in isolation can provide some questionable conclusions. However, if you look at KMillers stats in totality they show a guy who's performed pretty well.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
you mean the +/- where kevan is on the ice while chara passes to bergy to marchy and scores , yes those pluses look very good on kevan's stat sheet. +/- is very unreliable in evaluating a player's value.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Turnovers:

Chara -50
Krug -32
McQ -17
K Miller -16
Trotman -14
Colin Miller -13
Sides -9
Morrow -2

Given that Krug and Chara handle the puck more than any other D, them being at the top is understandable, but Chara's number is abnormally high this year.

For stay at home D guys, McQ, K Miller and Trotman turn the puck over a fair amount. Most surprising numbers for me were Sides and Morrow. Maybe Morrow and/or Colin subbed for two of the stay at home D wouldn't be as big a deal as you are trying to make out?

To me, balance is having a puck mover in every pair.

Just curious is there anyone you could fine what Chara's turnover totals where for the season in his prime years in Boston?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Funny, the best +/- players of all time are virtually all Hall of Famers.

The worst all-time are pretty much all stiffs.

But when comparing +/- within a team, it usually tells an accurate story.

Top 5

Marchand +22
Miller +16
Belesky +15
Bergeron +14
Erikkson +12

Bottom 5

Talbot -10
Hayes -9
Spooner -7
Kempy -6
Rinaldo -5

Bottom 5 not counting guys now in AHL (because of their plus/minus?)

Hayes -9
Spooner -7
Morrow -4
Ferraro -4
Connelly -1

Seems to tell an accurate story for this team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Cannot stress enough how fortunate the Bs are to still have Claude on the bench. He has this team in a pretty damn good position even with the defensive woes they've had this year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cannot stress enough how fortunate the Bs are to still have Claude on the bench. He has this team in a pretty damn good position even with the defensive woes they've had this year.

agreed

aging and slow D

Forward crew without a true game breaker (Pasta might be that guy some day soon)

Patchwork crew of forwards who just seem to play hard for him on that bottom 6

Has repeatedly squeezed the most out of what he has IMO

Not perfect, he`ll give ya fits at times but he`s won about 500+ more NHL games than I have so......;)

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Funny, the best +/- players of all time are virtually all Hall of Famers.

The worst all-time are pretty much all stiffs.

But when comparing +/- within a team, it usually tells an accurate story.

Top 5

Marchand +22
Miller +16
Belesky +15
Bergeron +14
Erikkson +12

Bottom 5

Talbot -10
Hayes -9
Spooner -7
Kempy -6
Rinaldo -5

Bottom 5 not counting guys now in AHL (because of their plus/minus?)

Hayes -9
Spooner -7
Morrow -4
Ferraro -4
Connelly -1

Seems to tell an accurate story for this team.

Yes it does tell a pretty accurate story. It tells you that 3 and 4th liners play a different roll.They are often shut down lines, designed to do other things than score goals. +/- is a crap shoot it can be accurate or way off, it all depends on what roll the player is playing. Regardless of what Kelly says when asked a question that he likely answered off the top of his head.

Also as far as giveaways go, if you look at top D men, they almost all have very high turn over numbers. That because they handle the puck more often and usually play more minutes as well against tougher competition.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
Does anyone think Claude should be in the top 5 or possible the coach of the year for the success of the B's this yr? Curious of your thoughts?

thx

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone think Claude should be in the top 5 or possible the coach of the year for the success of the B's this yr? Curious of your thoughts?

thx

IMO opinion he should be the front runner and by a large margin. Hockey writers chose him as the coach most likely to get fired first and instead he has coached this team with some clear holes to their 3,000 win, enough wins to become the Bruins most winningest coach, and has this team currently sitting first in the Atlantic. The coach expected to fail and lose his job has done quite well this season and better than some other coaches with loads of talent on their teams.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
agreed

aging and slow D

Forward crew without a true game breaker (Pasta might be that guy some day soon)

Brad-Marchand-Boston-Bruins-featured1-640x424.jpg

What must he do to get respect?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes it does tell a pretty accurate story. It tells you that 3 and 4th liners play a different roll.They are often shut down lines, designed to do other things than score goals. +/- is a crap shoot it can be accurate or way off, it all depends on what roll the player is playing. Regardless of what Kelly says when asked a question that he likely answered off the top of his head.

Also as far as giveaways go, if you look at top D men, they almost all have very high turn over numbers. That because they handle the puck more often and usually play more minutes as well against tougher competition.

I haven't posted anything about Kelly or giveaways.

And you clearly have no understanding of the plus/minus significance. Role has nothing to do with it, unless the player's role is to be outscored while on the ice.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I haven't posted anything about Kelly or giveaways.

And you clearly have no understanding of the plus/minus significance. Role has nothing to do with it, unless the player's role is to be outscored while on the ice.

I could get all over this one but I'll be the bigger man , your right :sarcasm:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I said as much in my post, but when you compare Chara's numbers this year with his best ones, he's about twice as far into the negative numbers on giveaways vs takeaways.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I said as much in my post, but when you compare Chara's numbers this year with his best ones, he's about twice as far into the negative numbers on giveaways vs takeaways.

This is really the one thing I've beat on Chara for this season. It's never been a problem for him in the past, but this year he's been indecisive and soft with the puck. It's a part of his game that really shouldn't be all that affected by his advancing age, and it's frustrating.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
This is really the one thing I've beat on Chara for this season. It's never been a problem for him in the past, but this year he's been indecisive and soft with the puck. It's a part of his game that really shouldn't be all that affected by his advancing age, and it's frustrating.

Couldn't agree more and that's the biggest things I"ve been harping on him all season for. And it's been very consistent this year. Just count the number of times each game that he can make some sort of outlet pass but takes the extra second or two or three and then does that stupid ass flip out of the zone as a giveaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad