Management Claude Julien: "He's Still Here"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Listen we get it, we know Kevan has played up in pairings because Chara and Seids games are nowhere near where they were and the Bruins D as a whole are pretty bad .

As others have said he'd be perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing D man like he was in the past . The issue the "10" of us have is that this Bruins team plays markedly better when they transition the puck from the D zone efficiently. Right now there's 2 Dmen who do it well Krug and Liles.

Playing Kevan over Morrow or Chiller weakens that aspect of the game big time. So what that Kevan is better in his own zone the puck still spends the majority of the time there. I want Dmen who can transition the puck so that they're not spending entire shifts hemmed in. I'll take someone who isn't good w/o the puck , but can effectively get the puck up ice when he has it over someone who's positionally sound but throws the puck away everytime he has it.

The problem with that argument IMO is the question of balance. Successful teams have to have balance to succeed over the long haul.

I love Krug -- I think he's a gamer and I'm very happy to have him on the B's. However, for as much as he moves the puck well out of our zone (and he does) he also is a bit of a turnover machine. He's also missed the net more than a whopping 80 times this season -- more than a few of which have resulted in additional turnovers that cause the puck to come back into our zone.

That is not to slag off Krug -- it's just a recognition of the fact that if you have guys that play that way, you need to have the "stay at home guys" that can help deal with the puck in our zone when it inevitable comes back in.

Between Chara and Krug they have combined for an amazing -82 turnover differential. If you take away guys like KMiller and replace them with Morrow or CMiller that's some pretty run and gun hockey you've got to be willing to endure.

That has never been the Bruins style. Hell, look at the glory boys in Dallas. Huge offense (poor of late) but i don't think anyone is expecting them to make much noise in the playoffs at present. And that's not solely due to lousy goaltending.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Listen we get it, we know Kevan has played up in pairings because Chara and Seids games are nowhere near where they were and the Bruins D as a whole are pretty bad .

As others have said he'd be perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing D man like he was in the past . The issue the "10" of us have is that this Bruins team plays markedly better when they transition the puck from the D zone efficiently. Right now there's 2 Dmen who do it well Krug and Liles.

Playing Kevan over Morrow or Chiller weakens that aspect of the game big time. So what that Kevan is better in his own zone the puck still spends the majority of the time there. I want Dmen who can transition the puck so that they're not spending entire shifts hemmed in. I'll take someone who isn't good w/o the puck , but can effectively get the puck up ice when he has it over someone who's positionally sound but throws the puck away everytime he has it.

Hope this doesn't spoil any fantasies, but Bruins coaches and management don't really care what you want.

Again, for the record:

Morrow 28-1-6-7 -3
C Miller 39-3-12-15 +2
K Miller 59-5-13 18 +16

That's this season. Pretty much means the Bruins are way more successful with K Miller on the ice. Even with him throwing the puck away every time he has it.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Hope this doesn't spoil any fantasies, but Bruins coaches and management don't really care what you want.

Again, for the record:

Morrow 28-1-6-7 -3
C Miller 39-3-12-15 +2
K Miller 59-5-13 18 +16

That's this season. Pretty much means the Bruins are way more successful with K Miller on the ice. Even with him throwing the puck away every time he has it.

Now that is perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Again, for the record:

Morrow 28-1-6-7 -3
C Miller 39-3-12-15 +2
K Miller 59-5-13 18 +16

Spot the UFA?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The problem with that argument IMO is the question of balance. Successful teams have to have balance to succeed over the long haul.

I love Krug -- I think he's a gamer and I'm very happy to have him on the B's. However, for as much as he moves the puck well out of our zone (and he does) he also is a bit of a turnover machine. He's also missed the net more than a whopping 80 times this season -- more than a few of which have resulted in additional turnovers that cause the puck to come back into our zone.

That is not to slag off Krug -- it's just a recognition of the fact that if you have guys that play that way, you need to have the "stay at home guys" that can help deal with the puck in our zone when it inevitable comes back in.

Between Chara and Krug they have combined for an amazing -82 turnover differential. If you take away guys like KMiller and replace them with Morrow or CMiller that's some pretty run and gun hockey you've got to be willing to endure.

That has never been the Bruins style. Hell, look at the glory boys in Dallas. Huge offense (poor of late) but i don't think anyone is expecting them to make much noise in the playoffs at present. And that's not solely due to lousy goaltending.

Turnovers:

Chara -50
Krug -32
McQ -17
K Miller -16
Trotman -14
Colin Miller -13
Sides -9
Morrow -2

Given that Krug and Chara handle the puck more than any other D, them being at the top is understandable, but Chara's number is abnormally high this year.

For stay at home D guys, McQ, K Miller and Trotman turn the puck over a fair amount. Most surprising numbers for me were Sides and Morrow. Maybe Morrow and/or Colin subbed for two of the stay at home D wouldn't be as big a deal as you are trying to make out?

To me, balance is having a puck mover in every pair.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Again, for the record:

Morrow 28-1-6-7 -3
C Miller 39-3-12-15 +2
K Miller 59-5-13 18 +16

Morrow 16:00 TOI
Chiller 15:55
Killer 19:18

So Killer had 3 more points than Chiller in 20 more games and 3 1/2 more minutes a game. Also, I will add that K Miller has more puck luck than any guy on the team.

Pretty sure three of his five goals were going wide, hit someone from the other team and deflected in :laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Morrow 16:00 TOI
Chiller 15:55
Killer 19:18

So Killer had 3 more points than Chiller in 20 more games and 3 1/2 more minutes a game. Also, I will add that K Miller has more puck luck than any guy on the team.

Pretty sure three of his five goals were going wide, hit someone from the other team and deflected in :laugh:

This is my chief complaint of CJ this season. I can get behind the idea of Kevan Miller as a #6 (I guess), but Colin Miller should have been given more games and more ice. OBviously he had some defensive struggles, but he's not alone. And he's clearly the most talented offensive player in that corps (maybe as much as Krug) and I think CJ should have pushed for him more.

Of course that said, every coach inspires critiques from fans. Ultimately this guy wins, and he gets more from almost every roster than their talent deserves. Gotta live with the nitpicks. We will have them with the next guy too, and chances are extremely high that guy won't be nearly as successful.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is my chief complaint of CJ this season. I can get behind the idea of Kevan Miller as a #6 (I guess), but Colin Miller should have been given more games and more ice. OBviously he had some defensive struggles, but he's not alone. And he's clearly the most talented offensive player in that corps (maybe as much as Krug) and I think CJ should have pushed for him more.

Of course that said, every coach inspires critiques from fans. Ultimately this guy wins, and he gets more from almost every roster than their talent deserves. Gotta live with the nitpicks. We will have them with the next guy too, and chances are extremely high that guy won't be nearly as successful.

I have said many times that Clode had done a very good job this year. Team is much better than I expected.

That doesn't mean that there are not things he and management could have handled better, including the D situation.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Turnovers:

Chara -50
Krug -32
McQ -17
K Miller -16
Trotman -14
Colin Miller -13
Sides -9
Morrow -2

Given that Krug and Chara handle the puck more than any other D, them being at the top is understandable, but Chara's number is abnormally high this year.

For stay at home D guys, McQ, K Miller and Trotman turn the puck over a fair amount. Most surprising numbers for me were Sides and Morrow. Maybe Morrow and/or Colin subbed for two of the stay at home D wouldn't be as big a deal as you are trying to make out?

I agree, that would be ideal. My point was really not to say that there is no place in the lineup for Morrow or CMiller -- I really hope there is moving forward. I'm more optimistic about CMiller than Morrow, but I'm no scout that's for damn sure.

I think I was more reacting to the accumulation of "Kevan Millar sucks" posts that we always seem to hear around here, regardless of what thread. Some fool even chose to submit his name under the "remove one player in the League" thread on the main board. It's lazy and foolish. Truth is he doesn't suck and has been a productive guy and somewhat of a warrior for us -- particularly when considering how he's been asked to "play up".

Just decided to stick up for him. I also stand by an earlier post where I said if you look only at our collective D corp and measured expectations vs. what's been asked of players vs. execution I think your 7th player award winner among that group is KMiller. It ain't Krug this year that's for sure, and I love Kruger.:laugh:

I will say that if Morrow is slotted in on a regular basis, we're all going to have to collectively deal with plays like the one he made on the 2nd goal last night. Everyone makes mistakes but that play showed poor decision making, poor technique, poor mechanics, and as the kids say "no chill". Like I said in the GDT last night, the only way to Coach that play is to say "do not ever ever ever do that again".

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I agree, that would be ideal. My point was really not to say that there is no place in the lineup for Morrow or CMiller -- I really hope there is moving forward. I'm more optimistic about CMiller than Morrow, but I'm no scout that's for damn sure.

I think I was more reacting to the accumulation of "Kevan Millar sucks" posts that we always seem to hear around here, regardless of what thread. Some fool even chose to submit his name under the "remove one player in the League" thread on the main board. It's lazy and foolish. Truth is he doesn't suck and has been a productive guy and somewhat of a warrior for us -- particularly when considering how he's been asked to "play up".

Just decided to stick up for him. I also stand by an earlier post where I said if you look only at our collective D corp and measured expectations vs. what's been asked of players vs. execution I think your 7th player award winner among that group is KMiller. It ain't Krug this year that's for sure, and I love Kruger.:laugh:

I will say that if Morrow is slotted in on a regular basis, we're all going to have to collectively deal with plays like the one he made on the 2nd goal last night. Everyone makes mistakes but that play showed poor decision making, poor technique, poor mechanics, and as the kids say "no chill". Like I said in the GDT last night, the only way to Coach that play is to say "do not ever ever ever do that again".

I agree that was a pretty awful effort by Morrow on that play last night. I still will put up with that to get the transition he or Colin provide to this team.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
I agree that was a pretty awful effort by Morrow on that play last night. I still will put up with that to get the transition he or Colin provide to this team.

Honestly, the play itself wasn't horrible (although not great for sure) and what it did do is delay the offensive guy from making the immediate pass for what should have been long enough for Seids/Belesky to take out the goal scorer if they didn't do fly bys.

I completely agree with the bolded. Being able to subdue a heavy forecheck with great breakouts can be make or break in some games. And really is extremely useful in all games.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

There comes a certain point though where too many plays like the one Morrow made last night and the ones C.Miller was making in his last few games up with the big club mitigate any positive affect from the additional transition they bring. This is why Morrow has been sitting, C.Miller was sent to Providence to get bigger minutes and work on his defensive game, and Sweeney was compelled to bring in a vet like JML at the deadline.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If you compare last nights gaffe to every gaffe KMiller has done, it's really not that egregious. It wasn't that bad if a play. The only advantage Miller has over Morrow is his physicality. That's it. You make the call in what the Bs need more of, physical play or transition.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If you compare last nights gaffe to every gaffe KMiller has done, it's really not that egregious. It wasn't that bad if a play. The only advantage Miller has over Morrow is his physicality. That's it. You make the call in what the Bs need more of, physical play or transition.

Or play the younger dude needing ice time because he will be with the team in the future. This is what frustrates me most. Miller is a UFA. He isn't substantially better than morrow yet he had played more games. To me you play guys who
Will help your team now and into the future. If Miller were substantially better you play him over morrow. But this playing a UFA now is nonsense.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
My problem is playing the 4th line too much, and not playing Colin Miller, but the team is leading the division at the moment, so what do you do.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

If you are talking on the goal I don't blame him much at all. Seids and beleskey take far far more blame than him. I thought morrow was pretty good last night not as good as tbay but not bad at all.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Honestly, the play itself wasn't horrible (although not great for sure) and what it did do is delay the offensive guy from making the immediate pass for what should have been long enough for Seids/Belesky to take out the goal scorer if they didn't do fly bys.

I completely agree with the bolded. Being able to subdue a heavy forecheck with great breakouts can be make or break in some games. And really is extremely useful in all games.

Lol just saw this I guess you beat me to the two guys more at fault. First I am not sure Seids should've even have got caught , seemed stupid--no gain all risk. If he thought he had beleskey covering for him I don't think he did and to add to that beleskey was slow to react when he can clearly see seids is caught. Than in actuality they both could get back in time to stop the goal , beleskey peeled off im assuming thinking seids would grab him but seids did some half hearted attempt---very weird goal to watch actually by two guys who usually work their tail off.

Add whoever was suppose to change for bergy in OT---just awful , some very big mistakes last night.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
There comes a certain point though where too many plays like the one Morrow made last night and the ones C.Miller was making in his last few games up with the big club mitigate any positive affect from the additional transition they bring. This is why Morrow has been sitting, C.Miller was sent to Providence to get bigger minutes and work on his defensive game, and Sweeney was compelled to bring in a vet like JML at the deadline.

But it doesn't stop at C. Miller or Morrow. I've seen Seids make the same type of play countless times this season where he's floundering on the ice w/o a stick. Chara is caught out of position and blown by daily , its just that his stick and reach mitigate some of the damage.

Bottom line all our our Dmen have difficulties in the Dzone its not strictly an issue with the younger guys. I fear when we get into the playoffs and teams send 2 forecheckers against our "safer" D we're in for a world of hurt and constant icings. I'd take the risk with the younger guys if it means there's a chance of a quick breakout.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Turnovers:

Chara -50
Krug -32
McQ -17
K Miller -16
Trotman -14
Colin Miller -13
Sides -9
Morrow -2

The only problem you got is turn overs isn't these guys problems inside their own blue line. You actually believe turn overs is why these guys aren't playing, that does explain your position a bit more.

The one Colin had in buffalo, you were crying about how they sat him for one mistake well I was at that game it was one of his very worst games for us this yr . Everybody makes that type of mistake he did , it was no big deal. Colin will have a nice spot on this team if he keeps developing , the problem with you guys is you have no patience and don't really see where these guys have issues. He is getting his very first nhl action. I am hoping Colin turns you in to the spooner-lsc11 guy. We are going to develop him and than you can come on and pretend he has always been what he turned out to be.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Are you serious?

Horrible is exactly what it was. First time this season I actually laughed out loud at a B's faux pas. That's saying something.

2 on 1, what do you do Joe? Lay down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad