Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Sounds like a lot of hollow arguments and ridiculous speculation to me. Why don't you put together some empirical evidence to support your claim, buster.

The people that argue the validity of secondary assists probably have never actually watched a game of hockey, besides the flashing red light going off. A pass leading to a goal-creating-pass is NEVER EVER the reason a goal is scored, right? Get a clue.

It's a shame that people don't realize a secondary assist is just as valid as the one that was right before the goal. If that first pass wasn't made, then the second pass isn't made and then there might not be a goal.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
It's a shame that people don't realize a secondary assist is just as valid as the one that was right before the goal. If that first pass wasn't made, then the second pass isn't made and then there might not be a goal.

Most secondary assists are legit, not all. I made a gif earlier this year of a goal by B Schenn, the primary was from Simmonds and the secondary from Mez. In that scenario, the 2nd assist was very stupid (Schenn touched the pick between Mez and Simmer but because Schenn can't assist on his own goal Mez got the assist).

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Most secondary assists are legit, not all. I made a gif earlier this year of a goal by B Schenn, the primary was from Simmonds and the secondary from Mez. In that scenario, the 2nd assist was very stupid (Schenn touched the pick between Mez and Simmer but because Schenn can't assist on his own goal Mez got the assist).

Yes those secondary assists are stupid, they shouldn't count them.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
images

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, agreed. It would be in everyone's interest to put into the rulebook an unambiguous rule such as "only count the secondary assist if it is not stupid".

Not sure if serious or sarcastic. Regardless, in the play he mentioned there should only be one assist

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, agreed. It would be in everyone's interest to put into the rulebook an unambiguous rule such as "only count the secondary assist if it is not stupid".

Or if he wasn't one of the last two people to touch the puck prior to the goal scorer, he shouldn't get an assist. The sequence of events went Mez -> Schenn -> Simmonds -> Schenn for the goal. That secondary assist shouldn't count. I don't see why there has to be a rule in the rule book, he wasn't one of the last two players to touch the puck.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
You get into gray area if you start making judgment calls on secondary assists. FF's example is weird and I understand what he's saying. But if you start making judgment calls on "quality" of secondary assists, where do you draw the line?

Coburn hit's Giroux from behind his own net at the Flyer bench, wide open, Giroux dangles past 5 skaters and dekes the pants off of the goalie. Judgment call: did Coburn really assist?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You get into gray area if you start making judgment calls on secondary assists. FF's example is weird and I understand what he's saying. But if you start making judgment calls on "quality" of secondary assists, where do you draw the line?

Coburn hit's Giroux from behind his own net at the Flyer bench, wide open, Giroux dangles past 5 skaters and dekes the pants off of the goalie. Judgment call: did Coburn really assist?

Yes.

Why are you guys even worrying about secondary assists...?

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I don't get why people are saying this whole judgement call thing. It's as simple as you have to be one of the last two people to touch the puck before a goal. If a person has a secondary assist on themselves, then there was only one assist. If you follow this rule then it makes secondary assists more valid to the point total.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

Yes, because getting into "what ifs" here, you could argue if coburn didn't pass the puck then the goal wouldn't be scored.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't get why people are saying this whole judgement call thing. It's as simple as you have to be one of the last two people to touch the puck before a goal. If a person has a secondary assist on themselves, then there was only one assist. If you follow this rule then it makes secondary assists more valid to the point total.

That was a totally different arugment, I agree.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Not sure if serious or sarcastic. Regardless, in the play he mentioned there should only be one assist
Oh, totally serious :sarcasm:

Or if he wasn't one of the last two people to touch the puck prior to the goal scorer, he shouldn't get an assist. The sequence of events went Mez -> Schenn -> Simmonds -> Schenn for the goal. That secondary assist shouldn't count. I don't see why there has to be a rule in the rule book, he wasn't one of the last two players to touch the puck.

An assist is awarded to the player or players (maximum two) who touches the puck prior to the goal scorer, provided no defender plays or possesses the puck in between.

I can see where you're coming from, and the rule is a bit ambiguous. But did Meszaros touch the puck prior to Schenn without a defender playing or possessing the puck in between? Yes. So I can see why the secondary assist was awarded and is awarded in these cases. From the way secondary assists are awarded, it is then also clear to me that the intent of the rule was to count such plays as assists, so you'd need a new rule if you wanted to prevent this.

Why are you guys even worrying about secondary assists...?
They're bothered by it, because it's Meszaros that got credit for it. It'd be fine if it was Coburn, Timonen, Gustafsson, L. Schenn or MacDonald. Not Gill, though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I bet if you took every secondary assist away from every forward, it barely changes Giroux's ranking. Maybe it even helps him.

It wouldn't make a difference. This bust was invisible all playoffs and most of his points in both the regular season and playoffs were from that series against the Pens...
:laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Guys, I just noticed something. If you ignore every goal and assist Giroux has racked up in his career, the guy technically hasn't done ANYTHING.

We better trade him for a 7th. Probably have to include our first rounder too.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Guys, I just noticed something. If you ignore every goal and assist Giroux has racked up in his career, the guy technically hasn't done ANYTHING.

We better trade him for a 7th. Probably have to include our first rounder too.

I've never even thought about that....

If you really take away his career in the QMJHL, he probably doesn't even make it to the NHL if you think about it

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've never even thought about that....

If you really take away his career in the QMJHL, he probably doesn't even make it to the NHL if you think about it

I went through and took away every point Gretzky scored against non-Cup winners, because clearly those teams aren't the best in that year and clearly scoring on them is no big deal.

Using the Giroux Points Discount, he now only has about 250 career points in 20 years. What a horrible player! In 1989 he only had 14 points, not 168 like we believed. Such a Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad