Value of: Claude Giroux to Calgary

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Giroux played an entire game at center as recently as last night. He's been more of a wing the last 2+ seasons but has still played quite a bit of center for someone who is no longer a full time center.

That said, Flyers ain't trading him. If if they wanted to, which I can't possibly fathom, he has a NMC and shows no signs of wanting to do anything but play out his contract in Philly.

Flyers are also a rebuilt team. Take a look at that roster. There are a few prominent vets, but it's a very young homegrown team with more high end talent on the way in Myers, Farabee, Frost, York, Brink, etc. They just need to let the young guys step into prominent roles, which has been happening over the last few seasons.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
It’s all about timing and putting together a team that has a legit chance at a cup. I’m not so sure the flyers will have a window for that in the next few years. The forward core is starting to age and not getting any younger. Some good young pieces, but if the flyers look like they’re missing the playoffs this year, the smart move is to give it serious consideration.

To me, this all turns on Patrick. If he can put it together and be the No. 2 you thought he was, then that window will open.

The Flyers have good young depth at the center position (Patrick, Frost) and LW (Lindblom, Farabee, Ratcliffe), RW they are a bit weak (Konecny, Aube-Kubel). They certainly don't need a rebuild, if anything, maybe a retool. I'd like to move on from Voracek and get a goal scoring sniper instead.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Flyers have good young depth at the center position (Patrick, Frost) and LW (Lindblom, Farabee, Ratcliffe), RW they are a bit weak (Konecny, Aube-Kubel). They certainly don't need a rebuild, if anything, maybe a retool. I'd like to move on from Voracek and get a goal scoring sniper instead.

Points out weakness at RW.

Propose trading Voracek.

::facepalm::

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It’s all about timing and putting together a team that has a legit chance at a cup. I’m not so sure the flyers will have a window for that in the next few years. The forward core is starting to age and not getting any younger. Some good young pieces, but if the flyers look like they’re missing the playoffs this year, the smart move is to give it serious consideration.

To me, this all turns on Patrick. If he can put it together and be the No. 2 you thought he was, then that window will open.
The bolded is not true at all. Not only is their forward core not old but it is in fact only getting younger.

Current Top 9 Forwards:
Giroux- 31
Voracek- 30
JvR- 30
Hayes- 27
Couturier- 26
Laughton- 25
Lindblom- 23
Konecny- 22
Farabee- 19
Average Age: 26
-----------------
Potential top 9 Forwards:
Rubtsov- 21
Frost- 20
Ratcliffe- 20
Brink- 18

These are the ages of the players on each line in the top 9 of the lines that they've used often this season. Only 1 player over the age of 27 on each line with more young guys waiting for a chance as soon as this season.
32 - 26 - 22
23 - 27 - 30
30 - 25 - 19

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
If you're looking for an elite 1C, it ain't Giroux. The only one of those we have is Couturier and he certainly isnt available.
Philly has 2 elite #1C. Just because Giroux played wing for a year means nothing. He's back at C now and he bumped Coots to 2C

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Giroux is in a really awkward place for trade value right now. He's young enough that lesser trades are likely to be laughed off. However, he's also old enough that the Flames would be nuts to give up stars in their early 20s like Tkachuk or Gaudreau.

Giroux is also a top player when he's on point, but seems to take time off....entire seasons off.

I'd love him on my team, but not giving up the world. Obviously, I can see why trades like Bennett/Brodie are totally unacceptable.
No chance Flames wouldn't give up Tkachuk, he'd need to be added to certainly.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No chance Flames wouldn't give up Tkachuk, he'd need to be added to certainly.

Really?

Tkachuk is 21. He's already playing at a near PPG and carrying a line. On top of that he brings all sorts of intangibles.

In what universe does a team give that up for a player that will be 32 in a few months.

Calgary would not make that move. Nor would any other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad